Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Hardly, it's a small restaurant, gogos and hotels taking much bigger losses

I was commenting on Robin's Nest, not Fryday's.  

A member has commented that Robin's Nest was sold last year.  That's 5 stories of accommodation, with bar and restaurant downstairs, in a very central location.  The purchase price would have been considerable, as would the rent.  As I said, some heavy losses that will not be recouped within the current lease term.     

On 8/19/2020 at 12:54 PM, scubascuba3 said:

very overpriced food there, can't compete with the lower prices elsewhere, even Pitini looks like it's struggling

Robin's Nest was great when Robin himself set it up years ago. He long since moved on to Hungry Hippo and several others. Pittini use to be one of my favourites, except that this February I got food poisoning and I THINK it emanated from there.

17 hours ago, rott said:

Steve sold it?? 

I dont know who owned it or who purchased but on their facebook page dated february 2019 it says new "british ownership".

Edit:... my bad, it says management, not owners.

Edited by Don Mega

33 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Never had a bad meal at Pittini....In my opinion Pittini has the best food on Soi Bukow....

Prices need to lower to compete, HH has comparible food plus HH hasn't got the tip Nazis of Pitini, Pitini drink prices a bit too high,  others seem to think so too as they appear to be struggling

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Never had a bad meal at Pittini....In my opinion Pittini has the best food on Soi Bukow....

Until this year, neither had I but I am pretty sure that my poisoning came from there -can be a one-off but it certainly put me off the place!

6 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I dont know who owned it or who purchased but on their facebook page dated february 2019 it says new "british ownership".

Edit:... my bad, it says management, not owners.

I am told that Steve ex Sportsman Soi 13, still has it. Since 2013 I think. 

On 8/21/2020 at 10:57 AM, kinyara said:

Seriously??  Another Stickman moment, It's nowhere near being open lol.  

Back on topic, it's a closure thread. 

The sign was going up the other day. 

Not exactly a bar area. 

Never been to Witherspoons, are they a cheap option.?

57 minutes ago, rott said:

Not exactly a bar area. 

Buakow one always seemed busy enough when people were here. Who knows, maybe they got a decent rental deal and think there is a gap for their multi-sports bar format directly on Beach Road when people return. I'd imagine they are targeting the start of the EPL football season. 

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

Buakow one always seemed busy enough when people were here. Who knows, maybe they got a decent rental deal and think there is a gap for their multi-sports bar format directly on Beach Road when people return. I'd imagine they are targeting the start of the EPL football season. 

Why would they pay high rents for beach / sea views, to target customers who want to watch sport on a TV?  

On 8/19/2020 at 9:40 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Back On Topic.

New Opening : Witherspoons @ Beach Road.

Old Closing : Robin's Nest, Soi Diana Inn.

Robin's Nest  
Robins nest is temporarily closed, it is our intention to reopen once international travel resumes.

We would like to thank our Customers, Staff and Friends for your support during the recent difficult trading conditions and hope to see you again in the future.

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Why would they pay high rents for beach / sea views, to target customers who want to watch sport on a TV? 

It does seem an ambitious one, and all speculation unless you know the exact terms of the rental agreement. Perhaps a different format, until the fit out is complete and its up and running we won't know. I've never seen anyone getting a haircut in the place next door, which on the face of it would seem an even more bizarre choice of business location. 

I take it you will be expecting it to appear again on here as a closure in the not too distant future? 

19 hours ago, rott said:

Not exactly a bar area. 

Well the Chinese restaurant sunk loads of money into fixing up that restaurant on beach road.........But fresh expensive fish and frugal expats = bankruptcy......

Witherspoons won't have to put much money into the place and could possibly do ok provided they are only paying rock bottom rent....

But that is a very prime location so a dramatic increase in rent should be expected when tourist return....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Well I guess it's pretty clear by now Hooters will never re-open unless the tourist come back whenever that might be........

They have not updated their facebook page for ages....

ในภาพอาจจะมี ข้อความพูดว่า "HOOTERS Pattaya WE'RE HITTING PAUSE DEAR VALUED GUESTS, IN COMPLIANCE WITH DIRECTIVES BY THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT, HOOTERS PATTAYA WILL BE TEMPORARILY CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THANK YOU AND KEEP SAFE, THE MANAGEMENT."

People were in Hooters a couple days ago so maybe they are preparing for reopening

• Like 2

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Well I guess it's pretty clear by now Hooters will never re-open unless the tourist come back whenever that might be........

They have not updated their facebook page for ages....

ในภาพอาจจะมี ข้อความพูดว่า "HOOTERS Pattaya WE'RE HITTING PAUSE DEAR VALUED GUESTS, IN COMPLIANCE WITH DIRECTIVES BY THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT, HOOTERS PATTAYA WILL BE TEMPORARILY CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THANK YOU AND KEEP SAFE, THE MANAGEMENT."

There is work being done on the building. But that could mean anything. 

20 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Robin's Nest  
Robins nest is temporarily closed, it is our intention to reopen once international travel resumes.

We would like to thank our Customers, Staff and Friends for your support during the recent difficult trading conditions and hope to see you again in the future.

Ha ha, beat me to it. Just been told this in another bar. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Well the Chinese restaurant sunk loads of money into fixing up that restaurant on beach road.........But fresh expensive fish and frugal expats = bankruptcy......

Witherspoons won't have to put much money into the place and could possibly do ok provided they are only paying rock bottom rent....

But that is a very prime location so a dramatic increase in rent should be expected when tourist return....

I think the Chinese were the prime target at this place.

There are plenty Western expats around the location and it is close to plenty of Western bars on Klang and sois 7 & 8. Tempting those punters in is the challenge for the new Witherspoons. I wish them well.

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

It will be a hard concept for many Thai landlords to accept that a tenant at a cheaper rent is better than no tenant at all.

can this be translated into english please. and keep it simple if you can.