Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

1 hour ago, champers said:

I think you are too quick to write off the ageing Western customer base. I think those dying off are replaced, and from a growing list of countries too like the former Soviet bloc East European countries that become more prosperous: Poland, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Czechoslovakia and others. There will always be the sexpat enclaves, maybe more separate from newer and shinier places, but still more than enough to go round. Pattaya is all things to all people and not to the exclusion of any grouping.

I am not sure if you are aware but Russian men just don't dig Thai women all that much...They prefer Nadias and Olgas......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I am not sure if you are aware but Russian men just don't dig Thai women all that much...They prefer Nadias and Olgas......

I didn't mention Russian men in my post. I know of Russian men who are married to Thai women and have a family with them too. I don't know how they met but it doesn't always have to be the case that it was via a beerbar or gogo.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I 2nd nonsense......And more nonsense.......

Pattaya has a hotel and condo glut of biblical proportions...The beer bars are not going anywhere any time soon...

If you think because there is a condo and hotel glut tin roof beer bar complexes will stay, because developers are are busy elsewhere, think again.  

There were vacant bars in many of these complexes before the virus.  Their days were numbered before the virus. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, champers said:

I think you are too quick to write off the ageing Western customer base. I think those dying off are replaced, and from a growing list of countries too like the former Soviet bloc East European countries that become more prosperous: Poland, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Czechoslovakia and others. There will always be the sexpat enclaves, maybe more separate from newer and shinier places, but still more than enough to go round. Pattaya is all things to all people and not to the exclusion of any grouping.

I do think that its an end of an era in regards to rich Western men coming to Thailand to find pretty young ladies for companions .

Westerners are no longer rich,  Thais are no longer poor and the bar scene has been slowly dying for the past ten years . 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, champers said:

I didn't mention Russian men in my post. I know of Russian men who are married to Thai women and have a family with them too. I don't know how they met but it doesn't always have to be the case that it was via a beerbar or gogo.

True, and you do see Russian guys in the go-gos. You don't see them much sitting at one of the little open air beer bars, except on Beach Rd. Understandable. And no reason for them go into one of the phony Brit pubs for that Brit swill and darts and inane incomprehensible babble about ballgames, birds, bashing, and Brexit. Though they could probably go for stereotypical condescension towards Americans and the obligatory anti-Trump bashes. So, not surprisingly, many of our posters have no idea what's going on w/ the Russians.

Go to their areas, however, and you find them in better hotels and condos often w/ girlfriends or families, eating in variety of general restos besides Russian, shopping in the malls, and of course in the 7/11s with everyone else.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

you find them in better hotels and condos often w/ girlfriends or families, eating in variety of general restos besides Russian, shopping in the malls, and of course in the 7/11s with everyone else.

Of course on holiday with Russian girlfriends they aren't going to hang around soi buakhao beer bars, they'll do touristy 2 week holiday things

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Of course on holiday with Russian girlfriends they aren't going to hang around soi buakhao beer bars, they'll do touristy 2 week holiday things

Of course, those who bring along the wives and girlfriends, though there seems to be at least some venturing out alone. But even the singles aren't much going to hang around in SB beer bars, far as I see. However, I only venture into one once in a great while as part of the tour when a foreign friend visits. I've also always found them boring. Beach Rd., you got scenery at least. I stop by the Red Cat near the police station in high season 'cause from there you get to see the police pulling over the idiots.

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I don't see them doing much shopping in malls, but I do see them buying a lot of vodka in 7/11's.  

and trying to barter for the vodka in the 7/11......

many many times....????

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

I don't see them doing much shopping in malls, but I do see them buying a lot of vodka in 7/11's.  

You don't go to the malls, and whenever you do see no one. And if you did, they weren't buying, just looking. Impossible, remember????? More hot air. Now there are 7/11s around Soi Buakhao, true, where mongers, the true Big Spenders, are sitting and drinking Chang out front. You'd only notice vodka but I see them buying quite a variety. This should be obvious, as so many come with families. They do spend a bit too much time examining the items before deciding to buy, so blocking the aisles. So I'll throw out that little bone for our bigots to chew.???? But they readily move when requested. Handed a good-looking Russian lady a few satang the other day when she needed change at the cashier's. Got a nice smile in return.

Back in the real world, they definitely buy in the malls. Our members have never figured out who would buy those expensive Levi's in the mall Levi's stores. Turns out that Russians definitely do.

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Pre-virus? .... how far can you go back?

businesses empty, going broke, up for sale....... in pattaya, we can go back years. many years. up to you how far..... how long was the piece of string before it broke? how long is it now? how long will it be in the future?

pattaya has always been known for a high 'turnaround' in its' businesses. pre or post covid nothing will change except change itself.

as i no longer own ( a business) and never (ever ever ever cross my heart) will again...... i welcome it. change is great. how you greet it is up to you...

there will be a tough crowd of business owners and a tougher crowd of customers come post-apocalypse, and they are welcome to each other.

glad i'm out of it, but hope to be a paying customer as soon as the big green light is on.

VIVE PATTAYA !!!!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

And sneak off into MPs in Jomtiem.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:14 AM, kinyara said:

The only question about the beer bar complexes is will they die before their dwindling and ageing traditional western customer base. Nostagalia and blind optimism seems to be the last remaining preserve of those who cannot accept or recognise what the changing demographic means for land development on prime sites, which the remaining few central beer bars complexes occupy. It's not like it hasn't already been happening for the last decade. Wake up and smell the overpriced coffee now being sold in your former favourite tin shack beer bar. 

Overpriced compared to where? 

And what price is it that you refer to.?

My morning (or anytime) coffee at the Five Star Bar on Beach Road is 30 baht a cup. Served to your table by pleasant staff. Not a tin shack either, with a view of sun, sea, sand and palm trees. 

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

If it's nonsense, then why are they either going broke, for sale, or vacant?  (pre virus)  

Because there were always too many for the number of customers. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

You don't go to the malls, and whenever you do see no one. And if you did, they weren't buying, just looking.

I'm in Central quite often, and occasionally in T21.  I don't see tourists walking around with shopping bags from brand name stores, and I don't see them in the brand name shops making purchases. 

I do see them window shopping, eating fast food, and in the case of T21, taking photos.  This was also the case, pre virus.  

Your description of thriving shopping malls here is false.   

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Pre-virus? .... how far can you go back?

I think the past two high seasons, but particularly the last high season, which was the lowest I have ever seen, which even saw senior Thai's in the tourism industry commenting in the media about the decline here.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rott said:

Because there were always too many for the number of customers. 

Pattaya / Thailand had a record number of tourists, pre virus.  No shortage of customers, just a shortage of certain types of customers.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

I'm in Central quite often, and occasionally in T21.  I don't see tourists walking around with shopping bags from brand name stores, and I don't see them in the brand name shops making purchases. 

I do see them window shopping, eating fast food, and in the case of T21, taking photos.  This was also the case, pre virus.  

Your description of thriving shopping malls here is false.   

cause they go window shopping to check out all the latest fashions and designs in t21,then they go to mikes shopping mall and buy a snide one for a fraction of the price.

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, rott said:

Overpriced compared to where? 

And what price is it that you refer to.?

My morning (or anytime) coffee at the Five Star Bar on Beach Road is 30 baht a cup. Served to your table by pleasant staff. Not a tin shack either, with a view of sun, sea, sand and palm trees. 

Mind you. 30 years ago it was (a tin shack bar).

A couple of bars offered for sale by The Nightwish Group.

Although not on Soi 6, it's interesting they are trying to sell a couple of their bars that have cheaper rent.    

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/club-sin-gentlemens-club-for-sale-on-soi-bongkok-8-290116

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/jclub-gentlemens-club-for-sale-on-soi-bongkok-8-290189

• Thanks 1