Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

8 minutes ago, rott said:

Corona bar, Soi Post Office has re-opened. So another customer-free bar with music blasting away till the brain dead staff decide it's time to lock up. 

Little "hobby bars" will pick up more customers as the bigger and more popular bars become unsustainable and close.  

On 8/31/2020 at 1:53 PM, TaaSaparot said:

This 'Aquatique Pattaya' is going to be a game changer.

The only place I can see they will build it is that huge block of land that is between Beach Road and Second Road that has been left idle for years.  

You call it a "game changer" but no one knows what the "game" will be in 2024, let alone if Pattaya will still be in the game by then.  

Was shocked to see Red Steps restaurant north end of Beach Road with a high volume of customers before 9am this morning, first time I've seen anyone in that place since it reopened. Early morning drive past Buddha Hill/Viewpoint area down through Bali Hai pier, beach roads Pattaya and Jomtien and the signs of business for the long weekend look good. A bit of cash in the tills for those places that are open and struggling hopefully. 

Contrary to all expectations (well mine anyway) Hooters was a bit busy an hour or two ago. People sitting outside eating, drinking and looking happy. Must check Witherspoons tomorrow. 

No closures to report.? 

On 9/4/2020 at 7:26 AM, torturedsole said:

Quite sure it's hard to find a meaty and decent cod fillet/loin in Thailand.  

It is easy; Kiss do cod and chips and they have 4 branches in Pattaya. The cod is Norwegian and is very good quality, coated in a sort of cross between batter and crumb.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 1:08 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Definitely in the piece of ground up from the Hard Rock.

Was announced last week.

I heard that piece of land was owned by Chang and leased to a Chinese company but could be as you say. The developers of Aquatique also own the Grand Sole Hotel directly accross 2nd Road. That hotel is currently being renovated; workers on site; and is due to open in early 2021.

Back on topic "closures", I noticed this morning the Pig & Whistle in Jomtien is now a confirmed closure with a big For Sale/Rent sign over the front. I guess they are accepting the high season tourists & snowbirds aren't getting in this year. That litlle stretch of businesses to the corner looks bad, with the same  sign outside every alternate one. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 12:15 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Not heard what is going in, on the North Side of Soi 6 yet.

There's only a couple of plots of land left that would be big enough for it, which narrows it down.  

Edited by Leaver

On 9/9/2020 at 1:43 PM, kinyara said:

Back on topic "closures", I noticed this morning the Pig & Whistle in Jomtien is now a confirmed closure with a big For Sale/Rent sign over the front. I guess they are accepting the high season tourists & snowbirds aren't getting in this year. That litlle stretch of businesses to the corner looks bad, with the same  sign outside every alternate one. 

Some businesses have deep pockets. 

Some businesses are holding onto hope. 

Some businesses have an expat clientele and should survive.

Some businesses have a reasonable Thailand landlord, whilst some do not. 

Some businesses are hobby businesses, so they will be here regardless.   

Many businesses will simple fold, as we have already seen.

The farang business owners, and Thai landlords, can put up all the For Sale and For Rent sign they like, but there will be no takers for a long time.   

What's closed now, will be closed for quite sometime.

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

The farang business owners, and Thai landlords, can put up all the For Sale and For Rent sign they like, but there will be no takers for a long time.   

What's closed now, will be closed for quite sometime.

Yet, this is not what I am seeing and hearing.

There is business operators out there looking for premises, because they believe in the future of Pattaya, and now is the time to invest.

8 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Yet, this is not what I am seeing and hearing.

There is business operators out there looking for premises, because they believe in the future of Pattaya, and now is the time to invest.

I have brought up this point with you in previous posts.

1 closure + 1 opening = 0 net gain of businesses here.

Are you suggesting Pattaya is booming with commercial and/or retail investors?  If so, I don't see it.

I have said before there will be businesses relocating.  That doesn't mean that's a new business opening.