TM30: “It’s really not that hard”, immigration official tells foreigners

webfact

2 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

That doesnt make sense.

If they got asked for TM30 it would mean that not 1 of the accomodations they stayed at ever registered them.

and it is the responsibility of the hostel/residence owner when the case of a short term tourist.

No offence, but how do you know the people waiting in the TM30 line were on tourist visa?

There are a lot of long term/extension of stay people in Jomtien.

If a tourist goes to immigration for an extension, immigration checks the online system for a TM30, if there isnt one because the tourist is staying an airbnb, condo, etc, immigration then wants a TM30. hotel stays are not usually a problembut a large percentage of tourist stay in private condos, airbnb, unregistered hotels etc.

As I said earlier, the only people who get asked for a TM30 at Jomtien are tourists, long stay extension etc dont get asked, expats are not queueing for a TM30 they will never be asked for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

"After hearing the comments from the Immigration officials, my own view is that I don’t think TM30 will go away any time soon.”

Of course not, now that it's high on the radar.

That petition fired backwards. A petition is not really the traditional Thai way ... and if started by foreigners, 3 times not.

I feel that this is a case, and attempt, of applying 'Western practices/common sense' to Thai practices and expect it to work the same.

With all respect and good intends of that petition, it was the hard way, but not the Thai way.

Edited by TG911
  • Like 1

I applied as a condo owner on June 20th. Still my status is "Waiting Approval". I read on here that if the documents submitted were wrong (I submitted copies of passport, blue book and chanote) then the office (Chaeng Wattana in my case) will not inform me that the application is not going through. But how am I supposed to know for sure? I could go to immigration but I work Mon-Fri and it's not easy getting a day off. 

Any ideas what I should do? Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wiggy said:

I applied as a condo owner on June 20th. Still my status is "Waiting Approval". I read on here that if the documents submitted were wrong (I submitted copies of passport, blue book and chanote) then the office (Chaeng Wattana in my case) will not inform me that the application is not going through. But how am I supposed to know for sure? I could go to immigration but I work Mon-Fri and it's not easy getting a day off. 

If you submitted the documents they asked for, you have submitted the correct documents. I did passport and blue book as per the instructions and it was the correct documents and I got a password.

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

CRAP 100%    try  crossing a  road  here or  going on a minibus,  if  i have my tm 30  with me like a lucky amulet is  it going to keep me safe? no it  might help identify my  corpse  if the death wagon doesnt catch fire and incinerate me  first.

This is the sort of nonsense  poor  Thais  have to put up with year after year, the whole  corrupt  lot need  booting  out, theyd  need  so  many jails theyd  have to buy  up land in Myanmar to keep them all in

TM 30 has been a factor for many, many years, so why all the bitching now? Most on here have had to ensure it was done if they had their own home/ condo or lived in a Thai family home.

Just because it wasn't enforced, doesn't mean it wasn't significant.

Are people saying the Thais should not enforce long standing laws/ regulations if they choose to do so?

From the amount of complaints about it, seems that many farangs thing the Thais should treat them as VIPS:-)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RotBenz8888 said:

At Immigration or district office? 

You apply at local ampher for a yellow book and pink ID follows, lots of existing threads about yellowbook and pink ID

The image and reputation of thailand is what attracts foreign criminals to thailand...

a form will not keep them away just like a points system w/o proper enforcement will have any impact on reducing substandard driving behavior 

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, griffin32 said:

Am I doing something wrong. 

I try to use the link on my iPhone 

https://apps.apple.com/th/app/section38/id1451853492?l=th

just comes back with not available in your country or region. 

That is a problem with the Appstore(s) sometimes, I have had this answer for the Shopee App here in Thailand, my country's Appstore being France.

...but I dowloaded the immigration's App minutes ago and registered easily.

Maybe you could try with simply "Thailand immigration" at least it is what I have done!

11 minutes ago, TG911 said:

Of course not, now that it's high on the radar.

That petition fired backwards. A petition is not really the traditional Thai way ... and if started by foreigners, 3 times not.

I feel that this is a case, and attempt, of applying 'Western practices/common sense' to Thai practices and expect it to work the same.

With all respect and good intends of that petition, it was the hard way, but not the Thai way.

Agreed. The guys that started it do not understand the culture in which they live, likewise those that joined it.

The Thais live with many similar regulations but they just suck it in and get on with their lives.

This isn't like that stupid form we used to have to fill in at immigration giving lots of personal data- that went away as even immigration officials didn't like it.

TM 30 isn't a new thing by a long shot, and it isn't going away- it's just getting enforced now.

15 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Just wait, mine took 10 weeks at CW but it did come through in the end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You apply at local ampher for a yellow book and pink ID follows, lots of existing threads about yellowbook and pink ID

I misread, it's of course "potentially be used as a replacement for TM30"...

So don't have any use for a pink Id card yet then. Still in my dreams, time for coffee and face reality ????????

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Exactly like it should be then. Usually the way in most countries where foreigners settle down. They do not have the capacity to change the law and administrative factors.

Except in England where they have more rights as they will eventually have enough votes to decide who governs the country ...if they do not already have enough.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If you submitted the documents they asked for, you have submitted the correct documents. I did passport and blue book as per the instructions and it was the correct documents and I got a password.

Thanks. How long did it take?

1 hour ago, vadid said:

Of course, the first thing every drug-smuggler, people trafficker and terrorist will do is complete a TM30.

You are missing the point, in "theory" every place the bad guy stays will do a TM30. Even if Thailands most wanted disappears off the radar, he pops back up every-time he stays somewhere.

Did my TM30 a couple of weeks ago in Bangkok...could not have been simpler.  Apart from the long queue to get an entry number, it only took a few minutes.  Got number 97 to go in when they opened, then got number 15 for the TM30 counter - and I was out of there by 08:45.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If a tourist goes to immigration for an extension, immigration checks the online system for a TM30, if there isnt one because the tourist is staying an airbnb, condo, etc, immigration then wants a TM30. hotel stays are not usually a problembut a large percentage of tourist stay in private condos, airbnb, unregistered hotels etc.

As I said earlier, the only people who get asked for a TM30 at Jomtien are tourists, long stay extension etc dont get asked, expats are not queueing for a TM30 they will never be asked for.

Ok, i certainly must believe you, as i have no experience of Jomtien, but it is exactly the opposite in C.W Bangkok.

From what i seen they ask it for expats but not the tourist.

Cannot imagine the officers here taking the time every day explaining to 100s of first time tourist that they must do this and that..to get an extension..

and the tourist would be there saying "huh, <deleted>?"

lol

For sure, i will not be doing any extension in Jomtien then, or if so must check in to accomodation first and ask if they definately register with IMMs.

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well: because the department which processes TM 6 doesn't talk to the department which processes TM30. Nether will talk to the TM28 department because the lady in charge there criticised their hair styles at the last Sinkran office party. They don't know who the local headman is, or where he lives, and none of them even realised that the town hall even knew about you. The entry port I last entered through is utterly bewildered because I am missing a finger on my right hand, so they cannot make head nor tail of the biometric data which they collected.

Thailand 4.0.

And before anyone accuses me of Thai bashing, you ought to hear me taking the p*ss out of the British bureaucracy...

TM6 is the alien reporting where they will be staying, TM30 is a property reporting an alien just stayed here. The idea being if the alien moves and doesnt advise immigration, the TM30 will advise.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I have tried to register using the immigration department dedicated website for TM30 and i must say this site is one of the worst and unfriendly user i have ever seen, but after many tries with popups in thai saying errors, i have finally managed to fill up the details, got a a confirmation response that said a user ID and a password will be sent to me soon, this was 2 weeks ago, repeated calls to 1178 TM30 call center where no one pick up, so, Not so easy Mr. immigration spokesperson...

Ive never managed to register. Tried with Chrome and IE and just get contant errors in Thai that dont mske much sense when translated.

59 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Jomtien immigration requires a TM30 to do a tourist extension. 90% of the people at the TM30 counter are tourists extending with no TM30

What Immigration at Jomtien, Phuket and other major tourist areas should be doing in these cases is paying a visit to the hotels, guesthouses and Airbnbs where these unregistered guests are staying and fining them for not reporting.

Tourists staying in hotels that abide by the law and report guests should not have a problem.