TM30: “It’s really not that hard”, immigration official tells foreigners

webfact

16 minutes ago, at15 said:

your not thai, accept the situation or move on to a different country. little thai school children would have a better chance of influencing thai authorities than any foreign person. 

the only way things change, is if the visa numbers start falling then things would relax. but as it sits now foreigners residing in thailand are not needed anymore. plenty of chinese tourists. 

Your 2nd sentence contradicts your 1st, mate. Swap 'em around, see if that helps.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Why bother living if it's just waiting to die. 'Elderly' these days are in good condition and like to use their money to see the world.

i could see 1 or 2 trips per year. but some people act like they will be leaving every weekend. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

Has anyone ever heard of a Thai landlord - house/condo owner getting fined for not filing a TM.30?

Yes

Edit: Jip99's reply wasn't there when I started typing 555

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

"it's really not that hard" which still misses the point that TM30 is supposed to be the responsibility of the mostly Thai homeowners save for those owning their own property or the Thai responsible for me happens to be my spouse. 

Of course, if no TM30 is filed and the Thai who is supposed to do it is unreachable unlike the foreigner who needs to get their whatever extension. Or worse, paid an (un)friendly visit by the Immigration boys, we know who's gonna get zinged. 

• Like 2

Has anyone ever heard of a Thai landlord - house/condo owner getting fined for not filing a TM.30?

I haven’t heard of that only hotels apparently and that was no where near as strict as this site would like you to believe. I still have stayed in a few hotels that never even ask to see my passport on a lot of road trips around Thailand, mostly just the little beach hotel and cabins out in the country the major hotels will definitely always ask to see passports as they do in most of the world if you’re a foreigner. But honestly who’s gonna report their landlord? I know I’m not that’s why I just went ahead and did my own TM-30 a long time ago it’s really no big deal it’s just a quick and simple one page form just like the TM-47. I truly don’t understand all the hype about this issue. And of course members of the group are saying things like “if you’re not with us you’re against us” and stuff like “grow some b**** and just sign our little petition” [emoji38]. I’m like hell no I’m not signing it nor will I associate myself with their little teeny tiny group because they are just rocking the boat that we all have to sail on and it’s stupid it really is because the TM-30 form is not a problem it’s not much different than the TM-47 which we do every 90 days when we report that’s why I always keep several copies of it pre-filled out.

If they’re going to have their little expat club fine but don’t try to speak for all of us who are retired here as I am in Thailand and if they are going to do this little show of force kind of thing that they are doing which they really shouldn’t be doing because they are just making immigration mad and it’s a waste of time and money at least do it when there is a REAL ISSUE to speak up about. I definitely do not just except everything thrown at me I never have that’s why I never made Command Sergeant Major (CSM) in the Army but at the same time there is absolutely nothing wrong with abiding by reasonable laws we have laws for good reasons. Additionally this isn’t my home country if I really don’t like it here I can always go home where my voice can be heard sometimes at least or somewhere else but I honestly love living here in Thailand and I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon if ever. I actually do enjoy Thailand and I really do not have any problems with their rules here I think their immigration rules are perfectly reasonable and people do agree with me. They can call the rest of us who don’t support their little expat group all the names they want but I truly don’t care.
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Mel52 said:
57 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

I haven’t heard of that only hotels apparently and that was no where near as strict as this site would like you to believe.

There's been reports aplenty on here of crackdowns on hotels (in Pattaya especially), as well as reports of landlords being fined. 

4 hours ago, Salerno said:

How else do you expect it to work? No need to exaggerate either.

What exaggeration? have you looked at the permissions it wants? & it maybe fine for you to give a government permission to snoop on, and take over your phone but, call me old fashioned, I'm not impressed with the idea...

• Like 1

There's been reports aplenty on here of crackdowns on hotels (in Pattaya especially), as well as reports of landlords being fined. 

Yeah that’s my point there have been a lot of “reports” on Thai Visas about that lol [emoji38] and I’m not saying it hasn’t happened of course it’s happened but it was no where near as strict as the “reports” online have claimed particularly on this site where they seem to be promoting the idea that somehow immigration is the enemy and how terrible they are. Immigration is NOT the enemy at all they’re just doing their job.
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

have you looked at the permissions it wants?

Yes I have, and yes you're exaggerating. Please point out what permission is not required for the functionality of the app? 

Edited by Salerno
added quote

I have been retired here in Thailand for 5 years so I deal with immigration at least almost as much as most people here but yet I still haven’t seen any examples of immigration causing a problem and yes including with the infamous TM-30 form it’s not an issue at all so stop making it one or they just might end up unwittingly causing a REAL issue. Immigration really is just doing their job immigration is not our enemy PLEASE DO NOT make them the enemy and please STOP causing trouble with immigration, this little expat club DOES NOT represent us all.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

What exaggeration? have you looked at the permissions it wants? & it maybe fine for you to give a government permission to snoop on, and take over your phone but, call me old fashioned, I'm not impressed with the idea...

I have not used this app yet, but if it is useful for you why not use it to report and than revoke the permissions until you  need to report again?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:
1 hour ago, at15 said:

i could see 1 or 2 trips per year. but some people act like they will be leaving every weekend. 

Never mind when I was working i  BKK a few years back and commuted back to Pattaya every single weekend.

Same with me, used to go down there around four times a month until quite recently. I noticed the hotel that I've used for close to a decade have only started needing my passport since a few weeks ago - they know me very well there and were embarrassed and apologetic about having to ask. 

14 minutes ago, hagai said:

I have not used this app yet, but if it is useful for you why not use it to report and than revoke the permissions until you  need to report again?

Good idea, never thought of that...

30 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Well I for example go on trips every month now. Although that's because I'm actively looking for the next place to move into. But even before 5-6 trips were the norm, plus staying at MIL's up in Isaan once in a while. Never mind when I was working i  BKK a few years back and commuted back to Pattaya every single weekend.

Not everybody is waiting for the reaper to come and relieve them of TM30's.

Some might be better off if he did... 

5 hours ago, RBOP said:

I think there should be a rule a person can post no more than 5 posts in any one forum discussion. This forum is so full of nonsense posters now its hard to find anything meaningful.  

Saying no more than 5 posts is nonsense in itself, do you think that discussion doesn't develop as posts and new data /ideas are added.

How many posts do you have left?

I will concede one point, yes -  there is a load of rubbish posted by many. 

8 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Why is it that TM30 only concerns long term expats that report every 90 days?Also you guys are the only ones having to pay the fine for the landlords/house master.So in fact you are being black mailed by immigration,pay the fine for something that is beyond your control and not your fault or get the fick out of the country!In most other countries that would be considered illegal,unfair,uncivilised,inhumane and more un/in words than I can think of right now.Also you guys are the only ones they are really interested in tracking.Why? 

You guys and gals need to take this to a human rights lawyer.

Tourists are staying in hotels and guesthouses, and the manager or someone else working there are by law required to submit a TM30 for every FOREIGNER. Understand? Long staying people like retirees have to do it themselves or a landlord or someone else it does it for them. This is so easy to understand, but people on this forum can't read or understand anything. This is not a new law, it's 40 years old,but the IO's have started to enforce it a bit harder lately. That's all!

• Like 1

I like to do a road trip to BKK once in a while and I have many nice friends Thai's with their own properties normally I stay a couple of days here and a couple of days with another one so now the situation is this each one I stay with they have to do  a TM 30 My Thai friends dont even know what it is, when I tell them they have to tell the immigration about a Farang staying in their house they dont believe me, the short story is they are not interested in registering 

Maybe I just stay in a hotel then nobody gets a problem and just report myself when I get back home 

Edited by ChipButty

22 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I like to do a road trip to BKK once in a while and I have many nice friends Thai's with their own properties normally I stay a couple of days here and a couple of days with another one so now the situation is this each one I stay with they have to do  a TM 30 My Thai friends dont even know what it is, when I tell them they have to tell the immigration about a Farang staying in their house they dont believe me, the short story is they are not interested in registering 

Maybe I just stay in a hotel then nobody gets a problem and just report myself when I get back home 

How would Immigration know if you stayed with friends when you are away?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Tourists are staying in hotels and guesthouses, and the manager or someone else working there are by law required to submit a TM30 for every FOREIGNER. Understand?

No I don't understand. My wife always books the hotel and checks us in. Often, I'm not asked for my passport. If I am asked I produce my pink Thai ID card which usually suffices.

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

No I don't understand. My wife always books the hotel and checks us in. Often, I'm not asked for my passport. If I am asked I produce my pink Thai ID card which usually suffices.

Then you do understand...

• Like 1