TM30: “It’s really not that hard”, immigration official tells foreigners

webfact

5 minutes ago, Tambs2020 said:

How do you mean?  

It's not usually the way in any country to make people report where they are for a long weekend (unless your a criminal on probation)  

My wife certainly doesn't have to report here whereabouts in Australia ????

Yeah, How do I mean? You mean so you can turn my post around to fit your post?

I simply mean that you are a guest, outsider, foreigner, and countries just not change the rules and laws just because a bunch of them are wining and crying foul.

Then Australia is wonderful, and a country where you have no complaints. Must be a much better choice then.

Or maybe it might just be that Thailand is better all over. Just that you and so many other demand that it should be perfect, bow to and plaease you and fit your every need.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

:clap2::crazy::shock1::clap2::cheesy:

Using expressions like that one just added to the non realistic irrelevans. Good job!

No, it didn't. You don't care about having to do the TM30. I do. When you don't care or mind having to do something, you simply do it. Unless of course you really like it. Then you celebrate it. 

What's the old expression? "When you keep telling people that you're happy, you're obviously not really happy". 

What on earth is a non-realistic, or even a realistic, irrelevance? What does that even mean? 

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

I can promise you 100% that if you extend a Tourist Visa at Jomtien, you need a TM30,  **OR** proof that the hotel or wherever you're staying has completed one for you.

I can make that promise because for the last 3 years (2017, 2018, 2019)  I (UK PP holder). have extended a SETV at Jomtien and provided exactly that.

On all 3 occasions, the IO has accepted the proof from my accommodation and handed the TM30 which I'd prepared "just in case" back to me.

This has been the situation for ME, not for a "friend"

And this last time the gentleman ahead of me in the queue (German PP) got pulled aside because he had neither of the aforementioned documents.

You are totally correct. I'm staying 5min from Jomtien Immigration,and had to do the same thing a few years back when I did my extension.

They just tell you to go and check your TM30 status at desk 10. If you're lucky, you have been reported the correct way, and you are in the system. If not, pay the fine, do the TM30 yourself,and try to get the money back. 

14 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Well, today is the 16th of August and I just tried to register online for that Section 38 App. Let's see what happens. I give it 4 weeks, give or take and then it will not work. How do I install Internet Explorer in Android? ????

It should work with Chrome.

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

No, it didn't. You don't care about having to do the TM30. I do. When you don't care or mind having to do something, you simply do it. Unless of course you really like it. Then you celebrate it. 

What's the old expression? "When you keep telling people that you're happy, you're obviously not really happy". 

Yes, but you are in a foreign country now. You are supposed to follow the law and rules that comes with that. The complaining only adds to the misery, because you will have to do it and you will be fined if not.

What on earth is a non-realistic, or even a realistic, irrelevance? What does that even mean? 

Yeah, I wondered that too. ???? Then I realized that it was something that you created.

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Let´s say like this. Our version of simple and reasonable things, might not be the same as theirs. You are in their culture and their way of thinking when you choose Thailand. Ever thought about that?

Ah, so you're trying to say that you can do whatever you like, as long as you say it's your culture. 

Allah would be impressed. 

I think we all need to remember that Thai immigration has our phone numbers. If they want to find out where we are they could just phone.

I like to imagine the call going along the lines of "Where are you" and my reply being "I'm in the intercontinental hotel eating caviar from the chest of a dusky young maiden".

But more likely the answer would be "I'm in Tesco's buying socks".

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, but you are in a foreign country now. You are supposed to follow the law and rules that comes with that. The complaining only adds to the misery, because you will have to do it and you will be fined if not.

Yeah, I wondered that too. ???? Then I realized that it was something that you created.

Yes, but you're misleading people by saying follow the rules and laws. Like as long as you do what it states, you'll have no problems. You know they're made up as they go along. You know they can be interpreted one way or another on a whim. You're applying Western logic to rules and laws. It doesn't work like that here. 

It's not as simple as follow the rules and laws when the people enforcing them don't do so themselves. That's why Richard Barrow asked for some 'consistency'. 

Complying with the controversial TM30 requirement is “really not that hard”, a senior immigration officer said on Thursday.

My last TM 30 at IMO CNX Promenada.

Arrived at 1030. as usual crowded but the ticket system was a shambles, all 100 used, not collected sorted and re issued so you had to grow balls and interrupt the IMO to get a ticket. Not the ticket in sequence, they give you any ticket; so they could be working on number 45, and you get number 80.

Next delays are " you know me Thai I am important I have brought you coffee" get sorted before anyone, then the visa comapny reps jump the line, followed by the Chinese who plead in English they dont know what to do can IMO help now. Lunch time arrives, no strategy to have IMO's go at random so someone is working. Everything shut for 1 hour but Thais dont have watches so that blows out to 90 minutes. Eventually 4 hours later I get called only to have some HISO try and talk over me from behind. So a quick push the chair back into their legs , stare at them and 2 swear words I get served. " really not that hard if you want to waste 4 hours for a 15 second job.

Love to see Mr Knowall above go through that as we all know by their road driving habits, cant wait must cut you off by one car to get the red traffic light.

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, but you're misleading people by saying follow the rules and laws. Like as long as you do what it states, you'll have no problems. You know they're made up as they go along. You know they can be interpreted one way or another on a whim. You're applying Western logic to rules and laws. It doesn't work like that here. 

It's not as simple as follow the rules and laws when the people enforcing them don't do so themselves. That's why Richard Barrow asked for some 'consistency'. 

You are still choosing to reside in a country with that way of dealing with things. If you can´t come to terms with that, why continue to let it pest your life?

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

"Using expressions like that one just added to the non realistic irrelevans"

You said it. What does it mean? 

8 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Ah, so you're trying to say that you can do whatever you like, as long as you say it's your culture. 

Allah would be impressed. 

There is a big difference in throwing bombs and filing a TM30. Don´t let your imagination play with you, now.

"Using expressions like that one just added to the non realistic irrelevans"

You said it. What does it mean? 

Nothing, just a nonsense reply to your nonsense. I am out now. No can spare more time for all that like the life of misery and complaints.

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You are still choosing to reside in a country with that way of dealing with things. If you can´t come to terms with that, why continue to let it pest your life?

Because I can. Why are you letting something that doesn't bother you bother you? 

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

Nothing, just a nonsense reply to your nonsense. I am out now. No can spare more time for all that like the life of misery and complaints.

Right. You countered my well-known and well-used expression with a made-up one that makes zero sense. Jesus wept. 

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

There is a big difference in throwing bombs and filing a TM30. Don´t let your imagination play with you, now.

Where did throwing bombs come from? Who said that? 

My point was alluding to the rationale that if you say something is your culture, you can be excused for your actions. 

6 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Criminals  with  money will easily skirt  all this just  look at the "corruption minister"  they just cant help themselves

I think most criminals dont want to get involved with corruption because thats illegal. 

(Sarcasm)

Just now, Chicken George said:

Its just not needed for expats... Once you have got your visa and informed them of your perminant address then if you stay away then you should altomatically revert to your default address. Unless you move to a new perminant address. 

You're confusing logic with living in Thailand or, as the Thais say, you think too much

6 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Rubbish.

All this country cares about is money and if they see money drying up and TAT, Hotel lobby and co complaining it will be gone sooner rather than later.

if all those long term expats who do or should do TM30 and are complaining,  packed their bags tomorrow and left Thailand - the amount of "money drying up" would account for <deleted!> in the overall scheme of things, plus a lot less work for immigration.

9 hours ago, mok199 said:

Thais do not take criticism well , excepting failure is not an option.this Nation will never move forward.The thai way or the hi way..

Thailand thinking hasn’t moved forward at all. They are still dragging their knuckles.

Doesn't anybody stay at home for any reasonable length of time or is everyone charging around the country like a pack of bedouins?

Strikes me, that if there's no official record that you weren't at home, i.e. airport or border registrations of departure/arrival, a hotel that registers you in another province, no-one knows you're away anyway, so why bother?

Nod to the people who have to travel for work, that needs looking at.

43 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

"You're applying Western logic to rules and laws. It doesn't work like that here."

It's you who are applying western logic, not Matzzon. You're the one complaining about the laws and regulations and about the TM30 report.

If you don't want to do the report, then don't do it. But If you're staying in one of those provinces incl BKK, where you have to do the report when leaving the province and coming back, what are you going to do? Never leave the province?

1 minute ago, Traubert said:

Doesn't anybody stay at home for any reasonable length of time or is everyone charging around the country like a pack of bedouins?

Strikes me, that if there's no official record that you weren't at home, i.e. airport or border registrations of departure/arrival, a hotel that registers you in another province, no-one knows you're away anyway, so why bother?

Nod to the people who have to travel for work, that needs looking at.

So you sleep on the street when you travel in thailand?

7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"You're applying Western logic to rules and laws. It doesn't work like that here."

It's you who are applying western logic, not Matzzon. You're the one complaining about the laws and regulations and about the TM30 report.

If you don't want to do the report, then don't do it. But If you're staying in one of those provinces incl BKK, where you have to do the report when leaving the province and coming back, what are you going to do? Never leave the province?

Yea, you missed the point completely. His point was that it's not hard to do if you follow the rules and the laws here. My point was that the rules and laws are made up as they go along and can be interpreted differently on a whim (that's if those enforcing them even understand them themselves). 

So saying they're easy to follow is Western logic applied to Western style laws. Do you really think in a civilised country they'd tell you that something works (the online application) when it doesn't. No, they wouldn't. It would be proven very quickly that it doesn't work. Therefore, the responsibility would go back to the people trying to enforce the law to fix it. Until then you would be given a period of grace until 'they' sorted their s*** out. You would even get an apology. 

Please don't clutter up the comments section if you can't be bothered to read the threads properly. 

Archived