Video: TM30: Thailand’s controversial immigration laws and their consequences - FCCT event

webfact

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was quite obvious that the Thai Immigration officials didn't like egg on their face. They cant seem to accept that the majority of foreigners are smarter than they are on how to conduct their affairs. How can you be so stupid as to think criminals are going to make themselves known and whereabouts to police or immigration. Send your so called experts to other countries and learn something instead of plodding along with antiquated ideas and policies.

I like the Thai ID concept, that would solve a lot of the problems.

"Good guys out more bad guys in" 

3 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

On a Facebook page that is administered by this guy Brousseau I entered into a discussion with other users regarding this very issue. I said that something had changed in the way the law was being applied, Brousseau accused me of spreading misinformation. He threw a mini-tantrum saying he didn't have time for this and barred me from the Facebook page. He seems to have changed his tune somewhat. 

You were spreading misinformation and you didn't listen and continue. I don't know you, never met you and it is true that when people just do not want to listen, well, you got what you deserved. The facebook page is at the origin of the petition, which is why people are now talking about TM30. This is so confuse, and causes problems. At least, we address some issues and don't whine constantly like others.

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

Pretty much just here to see the ranting of angry expats. My TM30 reporting takes up a few hours each year. It's not ideal, but it is what it is. 

Your Tm30 takes up a few hours per year, im out and about spending a bit here and there every month and my return journey when im back at home takes more than a few hours each time, times that by the number of weekends i have away from the province and all i seem to do is visit the IO who  give a deep sigh in exasperation,  now lets not  forget the places i stay  when week ending who also have to report , and for what reason we all ask, it wont keep the baddies out and its the IO that lets the baddies in, and any wrong doers wont be owning up to where they are and what they are up to, so is there not a more efficient less time consuming way to report your where about, ah i here online is the way to go but that doesn't seem to fill expats with confidence either, I'm not moaning and im sure the IO has what they think is a valid reason but there must be a more efficient way especially as somebody else can report for you.

8 hours ago, SammyT said:

Pretty much just here to see the ranting of angry expats. My TM30 reporting takes up a few hours each year. It's not ideal, but it is what it is. 

As long as it is easy for you then all good for everyone. No problem so why take the time to comment and boast and post some troll nonsense. 

Just now, Wake Up said:

As long as it is easy for you then all good for everyone. No problem so why take the time to comment and boast and post some troll nonsense. 

I went too Jomtien today with all the relevant documents, in and out in a few minutes, the lady at Reception did it, tore the slip off stamped all done.

I personally am not doing a TM 30. If they don’t want to give  me an extension of stay I can go many places and support women and families in other countries.  No use arguing with them and no use getting angry unless you have a wife and kids here that you support and care about. The rest of us are free to go or comply with the TM 30. I travel too much to do the TM30 and will not comply and do not have anything invested in this country and will not make any investments in the future. But some Isaan families will miss the money sent home to them and my landlord will miss my monthly rent money and the bank will miss my 800 k in the bank. But up to them. I don’t care anymore. 

6 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I went too Jomtien today with all the relevant documents, in and out in a few minutes, the lady at Reception did it, tore the slip off stamped all done.

Great for you. What is your point. Not everyone lives close to immigration and not everyone travels once in a great while. Some of us travel weekly and live a long way from immigration. Feel better now. You are special. 55555

The only sensible thing was the pink card. Most of the questions were rubbish and the upshot is this is the law, you do what you're told. We all know that logical arguements are a waste of breath here and Thais think themselves superior. You could see this in the body language and dismissive answers. A backward country only because of the idiots running it.

8 hours ago, hansnl said:

I guess the current "tightening of the screws" is based on what is going on in China, same-same as it were.....

Quite logical, seeing the build up of the powers to be.

Shame its not based on what’s happening in the EU and USA!!

I watched the video from start to finish. I was surprised to hear that the people who produced the software did not test it before putting it out but it would explain a lot with other online applications that have been rolled out

7 hours ago, hansnl said:

I guess the current "tightening of the screws" is based on what is going on in China, same-same as it were.....

Quite logical, seeing the build up of the powers to be.

To some countries, China offers 10 year visas for just under B12K.  Those are not tight screws, and as I and others have stated previously, when registering your flat as foreigner, it is all matter of fact and largely friendly.   It is nothing like dealing with the screws at Thai immigration over TM30.  For one, immigration is not a profit center.  It just checks and distributes visas.  The Chinese media likes talking about foreign interference, but inside China you do not get that feeling at all.  Whatever is happening in Thailand it is caused by local xenophobia, and a lack of nimble minds running the country.   They are probably more worried that the average Thai may get inspired by these demonstrations.  If cha cha was in Carrie Lam's position, there would probably be people already gunned down.   They both have a similar feeling about freedom.  It is only something to be enjoyed if you are very wealthy.

7 minutes ago, dave moir said:

Criminals aren't going to register their every move! It's just another way of getting on foreigners backs they're not wanted in Thailand full stop!!!

Thailand is Thailand they have their rules and regulations, as I said before leave if you don’t like it. 

Foreigners are wanted they just want too know where you are, I can’t see a problem with that.

"Don't cry for me Thailand". I'll take the 120,000 baht per month that I dump into this place and go to Vietnam or the Philippines when my lease is up in the next couple of months. I am tired of trying to figure out what I have to do in Feb to renew my retirement visa. Rather than put up with the decline of Thailand, I will go some place where I'm welcome (and my meager 120,000 baht per month). I have been here for many years but, like my previous marriage(s), nothing lasts forever. 

9 hours ago, yellowboat said:

For you, but for the bed hopping Casanovas, it is a serious issue.  You cannot spend the night at any number of your girl friends places.  Suppose camping is a big no no.  Back packers waiting flights at the airport are out of luck.  It is dimwitted thinking by xenophobe who refuse to learn from others.  Again, Thailand is showing it is special in not a good way.  China has similar laws, but not as stringent as Thailand.  I was a little late registering my China apartment, and the lady police officer just laughed and said "It is okay, relax".  Thai immigration could probably take a few pointers from their Chinese counter parts on how to treat foreigners nicely.  Yes the absurdity is mind blowing.  I know. 

After years of being bullied by the green team, the FCCT is finally allowed to hold debates.  Baby steps

Have we learned anything tonight ?  I think very little, however it is obvious that the 'age of paperwork' is over. Thai Immigration need to move up and find something better and easier.  To me the way ahead must be the I.D. Plastic card system as suggested by the Australian member of the panel. Can someone impress this on Thai Immigration, for their benefit as well as ours.

The reality is finally setting in. Last November,  when I went for my first 90 day and and got questioned about the TM30 rule,  and asked for advice from friends and then TV, it was the norm for people to put me down.  I saw the handwriting on the wall on so many levels,  I abandoned my plans to live, "happy ever after", before my next 90 day. 

I left, went back to the USA,  via a nice trip through New Zealand,  Australia and Mexico City.   WHY?

I don't want to live under the ever increasingly oppressive rules.  But again,  why did it really effect me?  That is simply.  I did not move to Thailand to just sit at home with my girlfriend and watch television.   We were taking weekend trips all over Thailand,  staying at local cottages she knew about and the occasional hotel.

I had planned to make Thailand home and homebase to continue to travel and explore Asia.   This is exactly where the entire TM30 rule has broken so many expatriates,  including those that live far from an immigration office.  

Everyone needs to get a grip, quit fighting each other, and understand,  Thailand has changed for many, many expats.   For those that never go anywhere,  have the system down pat for 10-30 years, no worries.   For everyone else that had a vision of living their lives here and enjoying their retirement? For many, including me, it is gone.  Why is so hard for the "old timer's " to understand this.  And why, are those who fall somewhere in my world view, still fighting this.  It is not going to change,  and will only get worse. 

I stayed on the forum for two reasons. 

One, I made forum friends and it has been an amazing place to learn.

Two, I waited to see if things might improve and I might come back to be with my gal.

It is time to decide.  Live under the Thai rules and accept your limitations,  restrictions and life as they decide it is to be, or go home or somewhere else. 

Can this be any clearer?

PS. I can still travel, volunteer and have a great life.  But come back to Thailand and have to worry I'll be detained or hassled. NO! I have traveled all over China by myself with zero problems.  Really! China is easier to travel in then Thailand? Give me a break. 

7 hours ago, deecfc67 said:

I keep seeing posts by people saying it's not such a big deal to pop in to your local I.O. when returning from a trip.

However, if you happen to live on either Koh Phangan or Koh Tao, the nearest I.O. is on Koh Samui.  And take make matters even worse, they are one of the I.O.'s that do not allow reporting online (they did for a very short while, and it was perfect the one time it worked for me a few years ago).

So, if anyone living on either of these two islands takes a trip to another province, they are then expected to take the ferry to Samui and back, just to inform Immigration that they have returned!

Why not do it whilst you are on Samui on the way home ?

14 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

The reality is finally setting in. Last November,  when I went for my first 90 day and and got questioned about the TM30 rule,  and asked for advice from friends and then TV, it was the norm for people to put me down.  I saw the handwriting on the wall on so many levels,  I abandoned my plans to live, "happy ever after", before my next 90 day. 

I left, went back to the USA,  via a nice trip through New Zealand,  Australia and Mexico City.   WHY?

I don't want to live under the ever increasingly oppressive rules.  But again,  why did it really effect me?  That is simply.  I did not move to Thailand to just sit at home with my girlfriend and watch television.   We were taking weekend trips all over Thailand,  staying at local cottages she knew about and the occasional hotel.

I had planned to make Thailand home and homebase to continue to travel and explore Asia.   This is exactly where the entire TM30 rule has broken so many expatriates,  including those that live far from an immigration office.  

Everyone needs to get a grip, quit fighting each other, and understand,  Thailand has changed for many, many expats.   For those that never go anywhere,  have the system down pat for 10-30 years, no worries.   For everyone else that had a vision of living their lives here and enjoying their retirement? For many, including me, it is gone.  Why is so hard for the "old timer's " to understand this.  And why, are those who fall somewhere in my world view, still fighting this.  It is not going to change,  and will only get worse. 

I stayed on the forum for two reasons. 

One, I made forum friends and it has been an amazing place to learn.

Two, I waited to see if things might improve and I might come back to be with my gal.

It is time to decide.  Live under the Thai rules and accept your limitations,  restrictions and life as they decide it is to be, or go home or somewhere else. 

Can this be any clearer?

If it's any consolation, your 'gal' is quite happy.

So is Thailand.

Excellent conference thanks to the organizers for explaining the law dated 1979 in relations with immigration to secure an inventory of Foreigners resident in Thailand un reported by landlords only by registered hotels.

The Immigration for visa applicants web site is not working properly and not clear enough for any one to comply with, not asking ahead the necessary documents to be attached to with a total lack of administrative follow up being under staffed.

There is a lack of inter communications skills between agencies from top down to down to Top levels.

Transition times all are losers but let s give times to the times.

Presence to be reported at Police stations at residences, is cumbersome for those moving a lot and viable for others.

Not much said about long term visas applications that seem to be not the topic of the day.

Let's ChIndia favorite tourists to be happy under a free visas promotional campaign to fill in all the hotels with.

10 hours ago, keith101 said:

I have the yellow residence book does my wife still need to do a TM30 after I return from a golf tour in Pattaya ?

Having a yellow residence book doesn't exempt anyone from any address reporting laws/rules.

57 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

It was kind of the Thai IO to make a presence - they did not have to be there.

The Thai tech lady really ripped them a new <deleted> tho.

I'd love to know her personally......

Very intelligent lady, but i had problems understanding what she was on about most of the time.

Archived