Video: TM30: Thailand’s controversial immigration laws and their consequences - FCCT event

webfact

6 hours ago, pookondee said:

Even many former Thai prime ministers had very VERY basic English.

I was about to say, as bad as Thaksin's English is, it's better than this guy's.

Abhisit's the best I have ever heard, but then again I don't believe he would have come up with such an idiocy as TM30.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Before we had the Big Joke now we have the Big Oud.

The big Oud is the ode of TM30 misery,despair and utter confusion written in the TM30 posts of Thai visa.

Both had it in for foreigners, though their methods were different. BJ's ignominious downfall seems to have been the result of him colouring outside the lines too much, overstepping his remit and upsetting the wrong people a few too many times. The Oudster on the other hand is one of those "letter of the law" sticklers, skewering foreigners with the intricacies of the legal system here. I have no doubt though that both of them were given a directive from above on how to carry out their job as immigration chief. 

7 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I have no doubt though that both of them were given a directive from above on how to carry out their job as immigration chief. 

The director's name is Prawit.

Just for people to understand who's behind all this nonsense.

Thankfully for me I've  seen the light and decided to get out of this pathetic place so I personally dont give a ....t!

I've a Yellow book, which to be honest has not really benifited me as I've tried so hard for over ten years to be intergrated into Thai society with very little satisfaction, suffering much stress and loss of millions of Baht in the process wasting over ten years of my life on an expensive false dream. Thailand is not worth it.

Are Chinese, Indian or Russian citizens required to report their movements? I doubt it...

To be possibly arrested, placed in jail or deported for simply washing my own motorbike sums this place up to me. It is parhetic, as are many aspects of trying to be apart of the Thai culture.

Will foreigners be expected to have a visa to go to the toilet or take a shower, after all, those are voluntary actions.. That is how pathetic it has become here.

There are better places to visit or reside within. 'Get out will you can', is my point of view. Good luck to the brave who decide to stay.

19 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

Thankfully for me I've  seen the light and decided to get out of this pathetic place so I personally dont give a ....t!

I've a Yellow book, which to be honest has not really benifited me as I've tried so hard for over ten years to be intergrated into Thai society with very little satisfaction, suffering much stress and loss of millions of Baht in the process wasting over ten years of my life on an expensive false dream. Thailand is not worth it.

Are Chinese, Indian or Russian citizens required to report their movements? I doubt it...

To be possibly arrested, placed in jail or deported for simply washing my own motorbike sums this place up to me. It is parhetic, as are many aspects of trying to be apart of the Thai culture.

Will foreigners be expected to have a visa to go to the toilet or take a shower, after all, those are voluntary actions.. That is how pathetic it has become here.

There are better places to visit or reside within. 'Get out will you can', is my point of view. Good luck to the brave who decide to stay.

I think you will find all foreigners are subject to the same reporting requirements and nobody has been arrested/deported for washing their motorbike. Without exception all those stories invariably turn out to be false or more to the story than reported.

There are certainly some draconian rules etc but there are also some pretty good urban myths and arbitrary stories.

1 hour ago, Sonhia said:

what a load of bar stool talk. we have a business and I dont have a WP. I went to immigration to ask if I can paint outside the front of our building. he said no problem... 'you are helping your wife and not earning a salary'. 

please dont fear monger on this forum

On 8/17/2019 at 6:52 AM, Tomahawk21 said:

if i am on a retirement visa, get an exit visa to go out of Thailand do i need to report back to immigration to do a TM30 on my return ? i am a house owner here not staying in rental accommodation should that make any difference. thx

if you have a yellow book then no

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't think he was born a General.  There is an international language, I'm lucky that its my mother tongue but the whole point of having an international language is so that we can all communicate. That guy will no doubt have come up through the ranks and at some point in his career, he will have had contact with foreigners. Immigration officers deal with foreign nationals every day - its an obvious part of the job yet many's the time I've had the need to talk with immigration officers, either at the airport or an office and few speak English well.  Maybe if they gave up the stupid 'face thing' and not be embarassed to say "sorry, I don't understand" they might learn faster. I'm slowly learning Thai and if there's something I don't undertstand - I ask. Its not difficult but it is, I believe, the reason that despite years and years of English language teaching, the standard of English remains poor. For an immigration officer, surely it goes with the territory?

Agreed

On 8/16/2019 at 3:36 PM, Jackie66 said:

Arrival card has your address on it

Every time you extend your visa you give your address

Every 90 days you have to report you give your address

Every hotel you stay in reports your stay

And now you have to make sure to report it again when you arrive home after you probably already gave them your address on the arrival card

Totally makes sense ????

but not every hotel bothers to report. when I visit pattaya I asked the guy if they report. He says that they dont

7 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

what a load of bar stool talk. we have a business and I dont have a WP. I went to immigration to ask if I can paint outside the front of our building. he said no problem... 'you are helping your wife and not earning a salary'. 

Agreed, common sense is required by all concerned, and yes you are not allowed without a permit to work, doing maintenance on your wife's house or painting her shop is not deemed as employment, we should all not be frightened to visit the IO and have more dialogue the only complainers are the visa refused people 

18 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

Same goes for that asian lady who was saying why do we need 90 day reporting when expats in western countries dont do it. 

Yeah, the 90 day reporting is a bit odd for sure - I mean someone could leave and re-enter every 89 days and never have a TM47 on file.  Heck, there's no TM47/90-day check at the airport so you could go eons without a 90-day report, jump out back in voila, good to go stay.

That said, I've no issues with the 90-day reporting requirement, just wish they'd fix the silly glitch arising from getting a new passport and then not being able to use the online systems (web, app), until you leave and re-enter the country. Stoopid.

We have to go to Immigration to transfer stamps - can't they simply re-align the existing TM6 with the new passport number? Sheesh.

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

Try asking the right department, labor office. You got away with it because of non-enforcement, not because of the alien working act, same as the TM requirements before they started enforcing. One day they will start cracking down.

Thailand is full of unenforced laws and will be a very nasty place to live once all laws are fully forced on the populace. Think f.ex. land owned by companies owned by farangs that are clearly just there to circumvent the land laws.

2 hours ago, davidst01 said:

if you have a yellow book then no

I have one and wife was fined at Jomthien when the TM30 was first enforced. What you wrote is again a bastardization of the immigration act. Until they stop twitching around and using jesus tape to "fix" it somchai style and actually change the law or open up the PR route, it's just up to luck.

4 hours ago, Sonhia said:

Of course they are! What makes you think they aren't? I hate this TM30 nonsense as much as the next guy, but to suggest it is arbitrarily applied only to some nationalities is laughable speculation on the part of people like you.

The TM30 applies to ALL foreigners. Go to any immigration office and see how many people in there are Chinese, Russians and Indians. A lot more than westerners I can tell you that.

No one is going to jail for washing their own motorcycle. Who comes up with these conspiracy theories? Come on dude...I feel for you but this kind of fear mongering is just a little bit over the top.

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I have one and wife was fined at Jomthien when the TM30 was first enforced. What you wrote is again a bastardization of the immigration act. Until they stop twitching around and using jesus tape to "fix" it somchai style and actually change the law or open up the PR route, it's just up to luck.

Mr. Larkin talked about encouraging everyone who's been working here for 3 years or more to apply for PR.

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

The Oudster on the other hand is one of those "letter of the law" sticklers, skewering foreigners with the intricacies of the legal system here.

I'm sure the "letter of the law stickler" would only apply to those outside the establishment therefore not a true stickler.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, Psimbo said:

Reporting is hardly a drama unless you make one out of it. 

And that's what it seems to be on this forum, a drama. To avoid doing a TM30 report all one has to do is get the missus to book the hotel room using her ID card. Job done, no TM30 to do. As far as immigration know Johnnie Foreigner still at base.

6 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Mr. Larkin talked about encouraging everyone who's been working here for 3 years or more to apply for PR.

Yes, it makes sense if you work here and are eligible. Then you need to wait for years to actually get it and be able to keep the job. It's all in here: 

If you have only passive income, it's a no-go, so pensioneers are out of luck. Also, the company you work for must be Thai and apparently they don't accept applicants that have set up a company just to satisfy the rule. Means working for a real Thai company for three years. I'd rather stick my feet into a shredder.

I think a good idea would be to have the Thai IO who had reasonable english do a video with a falang with fluent Thai and go through in detail of the online registration process complete with jokes and light hearted banter about problems both sides have with this process to alleviate some of the tension this issue is suffering.

In the video you should read from the face/eyes from the General. So you know he not telling the truth.
This good and bad guy discussion is nonsense. I am married with my wife for 26 years and still considered as a bad guy?
The National security issue aka Erewan bombings is nonsense as well as long the culprits has not been convicted.
Did they not always claim that this was not a terrorist act?

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

Mate went to do his extension this morning (sorry, he's still there). He told one IO at CW that he's been waiting 2 weeks for his username and password. She apparently got angry and snapped, "Can you see we're very busy here!".

They are indeed very busy and the cracks are already beginning to show. All we can do is sit back and watch them play their silly games. 

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

To avoid doing a TM30 report all one has to do is get the missus to book the hotel room using her ID card. Job done, no TM30 to do. As far as immigration know Johnnie Foreigner still at base.

Except the hotel is required to do the TM30 for any aliens, regardless who used the ID to check in. They might skip it, but then they are in breach of the regulations. All the "loopholes" are just Thai laziness.

20 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Mate went to do his extension this morning (sorry, he's still there). He told one IO at CW that he's been waiting 2 weeks for his username and password. She apparently got angry and snapped, "Can you see we're very busy here!".

They are indeed very busy and the cracks are already beginning to show. All we can do is sit back and watch them play their silly games. 

Somnamnaa. The immigration act has been there since 1979, if they had their <deleted> together they would've already changed it or created an effective way to fulfill the requirements. Now it's the usual last minute Thai chaos, which will result in a kneejerk correction and the cause will remain uncorrected, only to resurface again and again and again. Thainess 101, never truly fix anything.

Having lived in Thailand in the past i get where expats are coming from just accepting any new draconian issue and pretending its all OK, they have a lot of time, money or both invested here and don't want the boat rocked. I also used to be like that.

However as now living at home and looking to move back you look at things a bit differently. We were planning to move back later this year but have decided to put that on hold indefinitely, until we see how all this plays out. We were going to build a house and open a business, so a few locals would have gotten both short and long term jobs, of course us cancelling that has negligible on the country. But I wonder how many others are also thinking the same, I know of one large European development/business that has decided to cancel as relies on European patronage as well as Thai. Cumulatively it might add up, seems though that no one cares.

On 8/16/2019 at 2:41 PM, zydeco said:

Got to give credit to the French Canadian lawyer. @1.26:30 he calls out the general and his subordinates who have basically been refusing to answer the questions and just saying "the law is the law and must be complied with."  He asks why wasn't it the case for 40 years and brings up other instances of non-enforced laws. And reply? None. Passed things off to a comment from the Australian Chamber of Commerce who quickly moved to praise immigration for making things "so much easier." BTW, why no American representative at this forum?  UK, Canada, Australia. No Americans.

Apparently, the American Embassy has turned their backs on the American retirement community living in Thailand.  

Archived