Thoughts on "will there be a Real High Season" this year?

joeyg

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Where are you looking for them spending? Are you sure you are looking in the right place?

Central, T21, and everywhere from reasonably nice restaurants and bars, all the way down to cheap and nasty beer bars.  I don't see it.

I'll ask you the same question.  Can you name some places I can go to see the Chinese and Indians tourists shopping, eating and drinking, other than 7/11 and Family Mart?  I mean, spending that 6000 baht a day that they are supposedly spending here.

Then, feel free to tell me where I can go to see the "monied guests" as another member called them, buying designer clothing and accessories, cosmetics, electronics etc.

Are we talking latex and gem shops only? 

Actually, can any member name where the wealthy Chinese and Indians spend in Pattaya, particularly in the retain sector?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Central, T21, and everywhere from reasonably nice restaurants and bars, all the way down to cheap and nasty beer bars.  I don't see it.

I'll ask you the same question.  Can you name some places I can go to see the Chinese and Indians tourists shopping, eating and drinking, other than 7/11 and Family Mart?  I mean, spending that 6000 baht a day that they are supposedly spending here.

Then, feel free to tell me where I can go to see the "monied guests" as another member called them, buying designer clothing and accessories, cosmetics, electronics etc.

Are we talking latex and gem shops only? 

Actually, can any member name where the wealthy Chinese and Indians spend in Pattaya, particularly in the retain sector?

No problem Mr. Leaver. You are right and the government and tourism authority are wrong.

Also, good on you for keeping track on this subject, as well as checking up soo many places. Keep up the good work. ????

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You are right and the government and tourism authority are wrong.

Errr,

"Pattaya business and tourism leader Ekkasit Ngamphichet - who two weeks ago said that tourism in Pattaya was going down the pan - has not changed his mind in a new interview with the Thai media."

From this thread:

Also:

"Their reporters went out to Soi Bua Khao and Walking Street on Thursday night and found pubs and clubs decked out and staff in costumes. Just one thing - there were no customers."

From this thread:

Khun Ekkasit is a business and tourism leader in Pattaya.  Is he wrong?

Are the journalists wrong?

Are those threads "fake news?"

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Errr,

"Pattaya business and tourism leader Ekkasit Ngamphichet - who two weeks ago said that tourism in Pattaya was going down the pan - has not changed his mind in a new interview with the Thai media."

From this thread:

Also:

"Their reporters went out to Soi Bua Khao and Walking Street on Thursday night and found pubs and clubs decked out and staff in costumes. Just one thing - there were no customers."

From this thread:

Khun Ekkasit is a business and tourism leader in Pattaya.  Is he wrong?

Are the journalists wrong?

Are those threads "fake news?"

Yes, and the last one about bars and Halloween is laughable. I started the discussion with that bars and such venues might have to close down. That´s because it´s a lack of sexpats (to be read: lack of westerners)

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think we get the lower end of the market here. Those that walk through Walking Street for the free show or get dumped by a large traffic blocking coach by Mike's, and by day are herded of to Koh Larn and  pick up their pics cling filmed into a Styrofoam food tray on the way back. Perhaps the shoppers are all in Bangkok, far better shopping. 

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I think we get the lower end of the market here. Those that walk through Walking Street for the free show or get dumped by a large traffic blocking coach by Mike's, and by day are herded of to Koh Larn and  pick up their pics cling filmed into a Styrofoam food tray on the way back. Perhaps the shoppers are all in Bangkok, far better shopping. 

Far better shopping but the prices are probably 4x what they would pay in China . I can’t see why anybody would come to Thailand to shop as it’s never cheaper then their home country! a rich person does not stay rich for long paying over the top prices and we all

k ow that Chinese and Indians never overpay for anything !!
 I could quite believe that for the most part they like all inclusive up scale resorts and Silver lake vineyard for day trips . The economy tourists are on bus trips to tacky tourist traps like that awful Pattaya floating market and things like that . 

14 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, and the last one about bars and Halloween is laughable. I started the discussion with that bars and such venues might have to close down. That´s because it´s a lack of sexpats (to be read: lack of westerners)

Well, now we have finally established you are right, and everyone else is wrong, including Thai officials and business leaders, I guess we can move on.  ????

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have been reliably informed by some members on this forum that there are "monied guests" right here in Pattaya.

I would like to observe them spending their money.  The activities you mention are pre purchased back in China or India.

Is there nowhere I can go to see them spending here? 

Is there no expensive restaurant full of them every night? 

Are there no brand name shops in the malls selling them high end clothing, cosmetics, watches, electronics etc, where I can go and see them walk out the doors with new purchases? 

Is there no expensive bar with water views where they go for afternoon cocktails where I can go and see them?

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I have been reliably informed by some members on this forum that there are "monied guests" right here in Pattaya.

I would like to observe them spending their money.  The activities you mention are pre purchased back in China or India.

Is there nowhere I can go to see them spending here? 

Is there no expensive restaurant full of them every night? 

Are there no brand name shops in the malls selling them high end clothing, cosmetics, watches, electronics etc, where I can go and see them walk out the doors with new purchases? 

Is there no expensive bar with water views where they go for afternoon cocktails where I can go and see them?

maybe at some of those resorts at the south end of jomtein.

why would the come into town when they have a clean beach there, little hassle and dont need to get laid cheaply?

monied dont do that. they stay where things are comfortable and watched over, not walking down dark alleys, or listening to some fat guys financial difficulties over cheap beer.

18 hours ago, Leaver said:

Not my impression...yes a generalization and I don't much hang around in overpriced places myself. Most seem to wander about aimlessly trying to avoid spending.

22 hours ago, fhickson said:

why would the come into town when they have a clean beach there, little hassle and dont need to get laid cheaply?

monied dont do that. they stay where things are comfortable and watched over, not walking down dark alleys, or listening to some fat guys financial difficulties over cheap beer.

Thanks for your input.

If that is the case, all the their money is being spent in one establishment, and not spread around the city. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not my impression...yes a generalization and I don't much hang around in overpriced places myself. Most seem to wander about aimlessly trying to avoid spending.

Not mine, either.  Hence, I asked the members where these tourists were spending. 

I see them in 7/11 and Family Mart a lot.  ????

On 11/12/2019 at 12:20 PM, fhickson said:

If they are monied and not looking for a girl, why in the world would they choose Jomtien instead of:  https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+of+croatian+coast&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=amz_nHPzHNj72M%3A%2CVUeU_HfypIwTxM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQp-nHZH2x-Ru0NWpAfj0yoxej2Zw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_2ZqmmevlAhUErI8KHSZqCXwQ9QEwB3oECAcQEg#imgrc=amz_nHPzHNj72M:

Sure the long view especially at night in Jomtien is nice. But visitors here may opt to stay at the resort instead of putting up with the 'walking experience ' that one has to put up with here. A good part of  a visators experience is walking around the surroundings and taking in the local atmosphere. (above coast)   Sure there are some nice 8 level hotels on Beach rd with pools that are nice in South Jomtien but more likely occupied by the middle classes. Cape Dara in Wong Amat/Naklua would be more like monied. Certainly a minority. Regarding alot of these developments in N.Pattaya/Naklua the future for those  as said before is going to be bargained down wholesale accomodation for the masses. 

6 hours ago, morrobay said:

If they are monied and not looking for a girl, why in the world would they choose Jomtien instead of:  https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+of+croatian+coast&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=amz_nHPzHNj72M%3A%2CVUeU_HfypIwTxM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQp-nHZH2x-Ru0NWpAfj0yoxej2Zw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_2ZqmmevlAhUErI8KHSZqCXwQ9QEwB3oECAcQEg#imgrc=amz_nHPzHNj72M:

Sure the long view especially at night in Jomtien is nice. But visitors here may opt to stay at the resort instead of putting up with the 'walking experience ' that one has to put up with here. A good part of  a visators experience is walking around the surroundings and taking in the local atmosphere. (above coast)   Sure there are some nice 8 level hotels on Beach rd with pools that are nice in South Jomtien but more likely occupied by the middle classes. Cape Dara in Wong Amat/Naklua would be more like monied. Certainly a minority. Regarding alot of these developments in N.Pattaya/Naklua the future for those  as said before is going to be bargained down wholesale accomodation for the masses. 

Pattaya / Thailand has placed itself in a strange position in the tourism market.

In general, now too expensive for the lower end independent tourist, but too cheap and nasty for the high end tourist. 

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Pattaya / Thailand has placed itself in a strange position in the tourism market.

In general, now too expensive for the lower end independent tourist, but too cheap and nasty for the high end tourist. 

Seems to be filling up with tourists.  Perhaps it is you that does not have a clue?

Real High Season this Year? I really doubt that this time and here is what I observed:

Traffic in Pattaya much much lighter than in other years. Could name two larger hotels with an occupancy of 20 per cent at the moment straight away.

Or third was at the Elephant Sanctuary the other day where you are confronted with a 2500 baht entrance fee for half a day and there was not a single, yes one verhicle to be spotted.

16 minutes ago, gzu88bv said:

Real High Season this Year? I really doubt that this time and here is what I observed:

Traffic in Pattaya much much lighter than in other years. Could name two larger hotels with an occupancy of 20 per cent at the moment straight away.

Or third was at the Elephant Sanctuary the other day where you are confronted with a 2500 baht entrance fee for half a day and there was not a single, yes one verhicle to be spotted.

Someone would pay 2500 baht to go into an elephant sanctuary ? Seriously ? People can’t be that dumb surely . 

13 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Seems to be filling up with tourists.  Perhaps it is you that does not have a clue?

I have never said the numbers are down. 

I have no doubt the numbers are up, on the back of mass cheap package holiday tourism out of China and India, or, zero baht tourists as they have come to be known.

I have said, I believe the revenue from these tourists is down, despite their higher numbers.

What is the point of more tourists, if they do not generate more money in the tourism industry? 

Just how many more Chinese and Indians will then need to get here to equal the same revenue as the previous traditional tourist demographic?

20 hours ago, gzu88bv said:

Crikey, does that include an elephant?

On 11/17/2019 at 12:48 AM, topt said:

Both - there have been tour buses for more than a couple of years so arguably difficult to separate the two and you could say it is all now "general traffic"

Yes, but a bus transports about 50 tourists, and a car transports about 1 or 2. 

On 11/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, chrisandsu said:

Someone would pay 2500 baht to go into an elephant sanctuary ? Seriously ? People can’t be that dumb surely . 

I would prefer to pay 2500 baht to visit an elephant sanctuary as opposed to the entertainment for public consumption and humiliation of animals side of things.  The entrance fee goes towards the elephants welfare rather than exploitation.  It's rare in LOS but does exist.  

Archived