Thoughts on "will there be a Real High Season" this year?

joeyg

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The Indians most certainly do....

Yes, I should correct myself, but they are mainly going for the soapy massages. 

No alcohol.  No lady drinks.  No bar fines.  No haggling.  No joiner fee.  Probably no tip to the girl, either.

Honey Massage on Soi Honey gets a lot of Indians.  It's unknown to me how often the average Indian has a soapy on their holiday, but I doubt it's everyday. 

I'm wondering if some of them are trying a soapy, just once, as most of us have.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, I should correct myself, but they are mainly going for the soapy massages.

I often wonder about that.... I have not visited a soapy for a number of years, to me, it is just a silly price and the constant tip scrounging is irritating... are the Indians really paying 1800-2200 for 90 minutes or do they have some special deal?

Quite a lot can be seen haggling on Beach Rd too so that is another of their targets. Groups can also be seen walking up and down Klang, stopping and huddling in front of MPs trying to make up their mind. 

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I often wonder about that.... I have not visited a soapy for a number of years, to me, it is just a silly price and the constant tip scrounging is irritating... are the Indians really paying 1800-2200 for 90 minutes or do they have some special deal?

Quite a lot can be seen haggling on Beach Rd too so that is another of their targets. Groups can also be seen walking up and down Klang, stopping and huddling in front of MPs trying to make up their mind. 

A friend's brother works in one as a concierge.  I asked him if the Indians try to haggle on the price.  He said they pay the same as anyone else.   

He also said that it's common for a group of Indians to come into the viewing area, but on many occasions one one guy in the group will go upstairs.  The rest will sit around and wait.  I thought this a little strange.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

He also said that it's common for a group of Indians to come into the viewing area, but on many occasions one one guy in the group will go upstairs.  The rest will sit around and wait.  I thought this a little strange.  

Birthday treat!

Thanks for feedback.

I confess I have not been there for over a year now, but the reasons why, IMO from my last visit

the night scene is <deleted>. Fat girls in gogos, bored unfriendly girls in bar beers that care more about finding a date on the phone than the hansum men in front of them. 

Walking Street- best lookers are all out on the street touting. Inside it's that horrible noise that DJs like and the customers hate, and it's way too loud.

The decaying wreck of the marina- what were they thinking?

Bali Hi car park- as symbol of the incompetence of city hall.

The desolate high rise in front of the lookout- a monument to the insanity that has afflicted Pattaya.

Larn- who in their right mind goes there anymore?

Pattaya walkway- shadeless, seat less abomination

Sea water- as polluted as ever

Flooding- gimmee strength. They are too stupid, incompetent, corrupt ( pick one or all ) to be able to drain a road next to the sea!

Traffic- insanity writ large. Used to be working pedestrian lights. I assume still not working now.

Accommodation- put some paint on a decrepit hovel, call it a boutique hotel and double the price. Hotels in Pattaya are far too expensive for what they offer.

Soooo, what does Pattaya have that's worth going for?

Golf is apparently good there.

Close to Koh Chang if wanting to go to a beach worthy of the name.

Some great tourist attractions in the vicinity.

Close to Bkk for a Bangkokians weekend away from the great stink.

Dentists.

10 baht transport.

When I first trundled down Beach Rd on a baht bus, I thought I'd found paradise, but now it's more of a disappointment than a pleasure. The good days are gone, but it was really, really great when it was great.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:01 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I confess I have not been there for over a year now, but the reasons why, IMO from my last visit

the night scene is <deleted>. Fat girls in gogos, bored unfriendly girls in bar beers that care more about finding a date on the phone than the hansum men in front of them. 

Walking Street- best lookers are all out on the street touting. Inside it's that horrible noise that DJs like and the customers hate, and it's way too loud.

The decaying wreck of the marina- what were they thinking?

Bali Hi car park- as symbol of the incompetence of city hall.

The desolate high rise in front of the lookout- a monument to the insanity that has afflicted Pattaya.

Larn- who in their right mind goes there anymore?

Pattaya walkway- shadeless, seat less abomination

Sea water- as polluted as ever

Flooding- gimmee strength. They are too stupid, incompetent, corrupt ( pick one or all ) to be able to drain a road next to the sea!

Traffic- insanity writ large. Used to be working pedestrian lights. I assume still not working now.

Accommodation- put some paint on a decrepit hovel, call it a boutique hotel and double the price. Hotels in Pattaya are far too expensive for what they offer.

Soooo, what does Pattaya have that's worth going for?

sitting around in bars with help hovering over you to buy more drinks. does it ring a bell??

no joke, there seem to be many blokes who actually enjoy this.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:16 PM, jacko45k said:

What mean 'election'?

You know, where the bars are shut, wrecking the first or last night of a tourist's holiday, and where the minority of people registered in Chonburi get paid to vote for the most corrupt candidate, and where the voting process is rigged that the Government is still military, under the disguise of being democratically elected. 

One of those elections.  ????

High season this year?  Well it's almost November and a songkow ride along the beach around 11 am showed very few in the deck chairs areas and regarding the Chinese only about 10 of the parachute sailings off shore. What's the news from the hotel occupancy?  It looks pretty grim Jim. 

On 10/28/2019 at 7:19 PM, morrobay said:

High season this year?  Well it's almost November and a songkow ride along the beach around 11 am showed very few in the deck chairs areas and regarding the Chinese only about 10 of the parachute sailings off shore. What's the news from the hotel occupancy?  It looks pretty grim Jim. 

Try the same ride at 11pm.  Bars empty. 

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

Well, we are now officially into high season, yet, I don't see any improvement in custom for hospitality businesses catering for westerners.

Only 4 days....they are on their way! It seemed quite busy around Buakhao yesterday, and on Klang, but that was the road works burying cables again. I thought they did that already!

I swear I must live in an alternate Pattaya, my day to day stuff in Pattaya is busy and getting busier. Theppasit markets on Sunday night was jam packed, I had to park way down the back as the carpark was full, Thais/tourists everywhere, more than I have seen in a long time. I gave up on my favorite chicken place as there was a wait for food.

BigC pattaya Klang yesterday was the same, car park full, Maybe something to do with start of the month and Thais/pensioners have just been paid, but people everywhere, trolley traffic jams, queues at the checkouts etc.

My condo block in Jomtien is filling up with snowbirds, the car/bike park is full every evening, the deckchairs and Gym are full every-day. The condo block isnt empty or unsold, most of the owners come for 1-2 months every year.

The local Thai eateries are full, actually had to wait a couple of minutes for a table last night, they have stopped the condo delivery as too busy. The local laundry no longer does same day turn-around as to busy.

Wife is currently doing some waitressing at a farang breakfast and roast dinner place, she got a call because busy and they needed a 3rd waitress and they have a sign up advertising for a 4th and a kitchen hand. she currently makes the same in tips each day as she does in wages.

I seriously dont see the doom and gloom that others see, then again I dont measure empty barstools in soi sexpat or the occupancy of the 300 baht a night guesthouse. I do notice the Chinese and Indians out and about in places other than soi sexpat or ye old english sexpat pub. I used to go to tiger park for lunch once a week (150 baht buffet lunch with pink ID) but lately its just too crowded (Chinese and Indians paying full price) if you dont get there early.

Its not rose colored glasses and I want it to be high season, I want the opposite, I would prefer it being a little less busy.

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I swear I must live in an alternate Pattaya, my day to day stuff in Pattaya is busy and getting busier. Theppasit markets on Sunday night was jam packed, I had to park way down the back as the carpark was full, Thais/tourists everywhere, more than I have seen in a long time. I gave up on my favorite chicken place as there was a wait for food.

BigC pattaya Klang yesterday was the same, car park full, Maybe something to do with start of the month and Thais/pensioners have just been paid, but people everywhere, trolley traffic jams, queues at the checkouts etc.

My condo block in Jomtien is filling up with snowbirds, the car/bike park is full every evening, the deckchairs and Gym are full every-day. The condo block isnt empty or unsold, most of the owners come for 1-2 months every year.

The local Thai eateries are full, actually had to wait a couple of minutes for a table last night, they have stopped the condo delivery as too busy. The local laundry no longer does same day turn-around as to busy.

Wife is currently doing some waitressing at a farang breakfast and roast dinner place, she got a call because busy and they needed a 3rd waitress and they have a sign up advertising for a 4th and a kitchen hand. she currently makes the same in tips each day as she does in wages.

I seriously dont see the doom and gloom that others see, then again I dont measure empty barstools in soi sexpat or the occupancy of the 300 baht a night guesthouse. I do notice the Chinese and Indians out and about in places other than soi sexpat or ye old english sexpat pub. I used to go to tiger park for lunch once a week (150 baht buffet lunch with pink ID) but lately its just too crowded (Chinese and Indians paying full price) if you dont get there early.

Its not rose colored glasses and I want it to be high season, I want the opposite, I would prefer it being a little less busy.

Hold on ..... you talk about sex pats while living in Pattaya ? ????

Looking at Jomtien beach this morning seems like  the Russians are already arriving in numbers which is earlier than normal. As mentioned above my condo is filling up with the usual European snowbirds and no rentals now available through high season, my UK friends are all arriving as usual with a few who haven't been for a couple of years coming this year. The GBP exchange rate isn't that much different to where it was this time last year so get a cheaper room in the supposedly over supplied market will likely balance the holiday cost out. I expect it will be business as normal this high season, quite possibly busier in terms of numbers with the new markets.

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I swear I must live in an alternate Pattaya,

You must.

There's a thread where even a Thai official admits tourism is way down, and now another thread about a dead Pattaya on halloween night. 

Not that it matters it was halloween, because it would have been the same if the night before, and the night after, as it was the week before, and probably will be next week.

Can I ask, why do you, and others, call such threads, or posts, or posters, "doom and gloom?" 

The term doom and gloom is sensationalizing the real situation here, which simply is, it's quiet, if not dead, for traditional western hospitality establishments. 

I can understand you doubting my posts, but you have Thai's now admitting Pattaya is dead, and that's even with them trying to keep "face."

I see that D ream hotel have begun building yet another extension that will abut 2nd Road in Pattaya, meaning the hotel will now extend all the way from Beach Road. Centre Point also building their 3rd hotel in town, just a year after their 2nd opened. What do these businesses see that our barstool doomsayers cannot? A prosperous future, that's what.

7 minutes ago, champers said:

I see that D ream hotel have begun building yet another extension that will abut 2nd Road in Pattaya, meaning the hotel will now extend all the way from Beach Road. Centre Point also building their 3rd hotel in town, just a year after their 2nd opened. What do these businesses see that our barstool doomsayers cannot? A prosperous future, that's what.

They see many Chinese and Indians needing accommodation.  I have always said this.

You can't sell them food, alcohol, sex, tours, activities etc, but they have to have accommodation. 

That said, they do beat the hotels down to their absolute rock bottom price, or, the tour operators take  them elsewhere.  Like I have said, a race to the bottom.

I have no doubt certain hotels are / will be busy, but what about everything outside these hotels full of Chinese and Indians? 

Dead?

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

They see many Chinese and Indians needing accommodation.  I have always said this.

You can't sell them food, alcohol, sex, tours, activities etc, but they have to have accommodation. 

That said, they do beat the hotels down to their absolute rock bottom price, or, the tour operators take  them elsewhere.  Like I have said, a race to the bottom.

I have no doubt certain hotels are / will be busy, but what about everything outside these hotels full of Chinese and Indians? 

Dead?

D ream and Centre Point are quality hotels with monied guests; to think that they are involved in some imagined race to the bottom is utter rubbish. Don't take my word for it, take a look at their existing hotels yourself.

1 minute ago, champers said:

D ream and Centre Point are quality hotels with monied guests; to think that they are involved in some imagined race to the bottom is utter rubbish. Don't take my word for it, take a look at their existing hotels yourself.

Great.  What's their future market here????

10 hours ago, champers said:

No no, the people spending millions upon millions of baht investing in Pattaya have it all wrong.  It's the random internet people on ThaiVisa who like to complain about everything who have it all figure out. ????

14 hours ago, kinyara said:

Looking at Jomtien beach this morning seems like  the Russians are already arriving in numbers which is earlier than normal.

Exactly. I was messing about looking at flight-radar a couple of times over the last few days and there are these flights from  Eastern Russian Cities I have never heard of coming into U-Tapao each day. 

On 10/22/2019 at 11:54 PM, fhickson said:

sitting around in bars with help hovering over you to buy more drinks. does it ring a bell??

no joke, there seem to be many blokes who actually enjoy this.

I never rang the bell, but one time a bloke rang the bell, but they didn't give me a free drink. Just another BS <deleted> in the land of cons.

I never had help to buy more drinks because after I told all that came I wasn't buying lady drinks they stopped hovering. It's actually quite easy to say "no".

In the end I stopped going to gogos because the "music' was so dire, and I stopped going to barbeers because the ladies were so unattractive. All I did was buy a drink at Lucky Star and enjoy the passing parade.

Archived