Beijing Has Something to Say About TM30

21 hours ago, Martyp said:

China has one of the most extensive surveillance and facial recognition systems in the world. What they ought to be doing is selling their technology to Thailand to blanket the country with cameras. Then no one would need to file a TM30 ever.

As I have said several times, why don't they issue us long term expats on retirement, marriage or even some work permits with Thai ID cards. They can have a proper info chip with all our information on.

It will also cut down on the inordinate amount of quadruplicated copies of paperwork required.

Naaahhh. They would only need half the irritation staff employed then!! ????????????????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

As I have said several times, why don't they issue us long term expats on retirement, marriage or even some work permits with Thai ID cards. They can have a proper info chip with all our information on.

It will also cut down on the inordinate amount of quadruplicated copies of paperwork required.

Naaahhh. They would only need half the irritation staff employed then!! ????????????????

That idea was put foward at the FCC meeting, use the existing pink ID etc.

It would be a great solution.

• Like 2

If as stated by Govt. sources the need/justification for to TM30 is National Security then the reporting needs to be done by Thai's as for anyone else Thailand's security is irrelevant. So once they start enforcing the need to report onto the Thai landlords then I might start believing that BS. Why should a "visitor's" Visa be refused because someone else failed to do their National duty?

Asking or relying on someone who is a risk to National Security to voluntarily report themselves in my opinion would be the same as putting criminals in charge of the Police stations!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

The more negative press and pressure brought against this dumb form the better. Someone with Thai authority might wake up to the loss of face this place is going through.

The TM30 system, as stupid as it is, doesn't result in a loss of face. Being forced to change it by others is loss of face.

• Like 1

I live in China and we don't have to do any reporting if we travel for a few days *with the exception* of staying at a hotel.  Hotels do report your whereabouts to the police and if you move house you must report this to the police within 30 days.  Only certain hotels can cater to us and this sometimes causes problems but the reason isn't exactly what you think.  The software used for reporting our location is specialized while the standard software used in hotels only accepts Chinese ID cards and not Passport numbers which can differ in length.  Essentially the rule here is if you move permanently report it and if you are traveling make sure there is a friend you can stay with or the town has a bigger hotel.  We never see a form when we travel it is entirely handled by the hotel.

• Like 1

Not the least ironic part of this article is the fact that China has its own equivalent of TM30 which is and has been strictly enforced for many years.

Requiring 'within 48 hour' reporting not 24, but with an army of neighborhood watch snitches encouraged and even paid to report possible infringements.

Pots...,.ketles.......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OOTAI said:

If as stated by Govt. sources the need/justification for to TM30 is National Security then the reporting needs to be done by Thai's as for anyone else Thailand's security is irrelevant. So once they start enforcing the need to report onto the Thai landlords then I might start believing that BS. Why should a "visitor's" Visa be refused because someone else failed to do their National duty?

Asking or relying on someone who is a risk to National Security to voluntarily report themselves in my opinion would be the same as putting criminals in charge of the Police stations!

They are not relying on the criminals to report themselves, they are relying on every property in thailand to report the criminals. 

The train leaves CM late afternoon and arrives Bkk early AM. What about TM30 status in this case?

Same for driving. 

A camping trip would seem to pose a problem too (yes, they camp in Thailand). 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, saminoz said:

You totally miss the point.  Those of us who live here and have our own properties (even if in wife's name) would have to report that we had arrived home after a weekend or 24 hours away!

That is police state <deleted> for sure.

Blinkers much?

What point have I missed, i simply stated there are not TM30 reports done for leaving a property, there are only reports for staying/arriving at a property. I do live here and own a property, thats how I know nobody does a TM30 to advise leaving a property, A TM30 is required when you arrive or return to a property.

The OP incorrectly states that TM30s are to report leaving a property.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, neeray said:

The train leaves CM late afternoon and arrives Bkk early AM. What about TM30 status in this case?

Same for driving. 

A camping trip would seem to pose a problem too (yes, they camp in Thailand). 

As a practical matter if the train or campsite didn't report you to Immigration then you are not going to have to tell Immigration that you left and came back because there is no record of you having traveled. You are only going to be asked about a TM30 if you have contact with the authorities. If you happen to get arrested by the police in the train or campsite I'm pretty sure you have bigger problems than a TM30. 

Edited by Martyp
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, essox essox said:

so every time i go out for a drive....come back I have to tell the IMOS I have been out and now returned??????

Technically "yes", but only if you drive into a neighboring province and cross back into your "home" province after 24 hours. Personally, I think this is totally ridiculous and I use common sense - say no more! If your drive includes a hotel stop for one night or longer, then a copy of your passport taken at reception is sufficient - the onus is on the hotel to inform IO on a TM30. 

2 hours ago, OOTAI said:

Isn't that already the case?

China has the same thing as the TM30. It’s done behind the scenes for you when you check into a hotel.

And you only need to register your address at the police station once a year or when you move, not every 90 days like in Thailand. 

Technically in China you are supposed to re-register at the police station every time you come back from a trip abroad with your new entry-date, but it’s not enforced because that would be nuts and the guys & gals at the station get annoyed enough when you show up to register once a year. 

Lived there for 15 years with no problem. 

Edited by onecar

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

I've said before and will say again. It has nothing to do with national security and everything to do with control.

From what I have read it is pressure from certain Western nations who are worried about terrorist payback that is forcing Thailand to enforce this law for all farang, not just those who stay in hotels.  The same tracking happens with our money hence the need to declare the purpose of our money transfers. 

Thailand has a long history of being a place where you can pay to hide.

Please dont ask for a source, there are several and I forget.  Do a google yourself if you doubt it.

Edited by ThaiFelix
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 11:24 AM, Seismic said:

Not stupid at all. There are a large number of projects where poor building practices have caused demolition or major rework.

such as the brand new Baan MaiKhao by Sansiri Beachfront Condominium in Phuket.  Under Repair and reconstruction basically since the day it’s transferred. 

Edited by teutonian

On 8/27/2019 at 5:06 AM, Peterw42 said:

Its great to see some international press coverage etc but they appear to get it wrong with their understanding of TM30.

Its a report of a foreigner arrival, not their departure from a property.

There is a big poster about Section 37 requirement to request permission to leave 48 hours before leaving the home address for another province ....

On 8/27/2019 at 10:18 AM, highonthai said:

I own a home in CM and have a couple of rental properties also.

I'm hoping that this TM30 thing goes away. In the past we only TM30'd the tenant once, that was it. I'm surprised that we have not heard from any Thai property owners on this issue yet. 

I have commented a number of times on our  experience as landlords here in CM.  Here is a copy of what i wrote in a recent thread.  :

I will give MY take on this based on my experience as a Landlord in Chiangmai.   I do believe that many other provinces would treat it the same way..(but of that I of course am not sure.... Here is how we do it:

WHEN A PERSON wants to rent from us we tell them what CM immig told us.  We as owners should do the first one when the tenant moves in.  After that the tenant must go WITH THEIR PASSPORT and initial tm30 receipt to the immig office to report that they have just returned.  Up till now CM only requires that after returning from out of the country .  NOTE:  the more people that go there and start complaining the quicker they might require more stringent reporting ! 

Five years of doing this (since they started enforcing the tm30) and we nor a tenant has ever had a problem.  If someone told us the we as owners had to do it every time we would not rent to them.

The big problem for renters is really when they rent somewhere that is not within a short drive to the immig office ( CM is a very large province, for example)   

The ongoing and never resolved argument about who is responsible is made VOID when the tenant and landlord agree beforehand how it will be handled.   Just like many immig things, it is open to interpretation, not black and white as the debaters insist.  Like I said,  I was told by CM how to do it and we have not had any problems following it that way.

• Like 1