UK would still have to pay its EU budget bill - Moscovici

snoop1130

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Here's a dose of reality for moscovici. He doesn't get to decide what the UK pays.

If we dispute the amount then it will go to the International courts to decide. moscovici should pipe down.

I'll take Moscovici's view over yours.

Especially if that view is the one of the body the uk is desperate to get a trade deal with...

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Here's a dose of reality for moscovici. He doesn't get to decide what the UK pays.

If we dispute the amount then it will go to the International courts to decide. moscovici should pipe down.

And, having been presented by the facts on both sides, the international courts would adjudicate in the EU's favour. What then? Nobody likes a welcher.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

As much as Kermit and his highly inflated ego (and vastly reduced following) wishes it, he has no part to play in negotiations with the EU.

The fact remains that the "divorce bill" was negotiated before any other negotiations took place. Why? Because the amount owed by the UK on leaving the EU, would be the same, no matter what exit route the UK took. It's based on previously made commitments by the UK.

It's owed, we will be paying, there's nothing that Boris, Kermit or anyone else can do about that.

However, it's not as punitive as Boris is painting it, "I'll have an extra 30 bn to spend on farmers subsidies etc. the day we leave with no deal". It's actually 3 bn as the 39 bn was spread over 10 years, 3.9 bn per year.

That 'vastly reduced following' will be much more conspicuous in a GE following a BRINO:

UK is becoming a pathetic little country that can't even honor the vote of the people. After they leave the EU (if) then Britain will become less important and insignificant as a country. Hopefully nobody has to hear about the country for a few decades.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

And, having been presented by the facts on both sides, the international courts would adjudicate in the EU's favour. What then? Nobody likes a welcher.

That's a huge IF. But IF that happened then the UK would pay.

Far more likely is the court decides on the UK side, reduces the 39 Billion to single digit Billions and the EU go sulking and refuse to discuss a trade deal for a couple of years.

8 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

I was serious for a change .... you are not.

I was in fact perfectly serious. In short, the proposed withdrawal agreement states that EU can hold UK financially liable for costs approved AFTER Brexit. I'm dead serious. 

19 hours ago, Scot123 said:
20 hours ago, maitite said:

But of course UK has to meet it's financial payments. That's just a fact of life. 

Why would any country trust UK, if it doesn't pay its bills?

It's quite hard to trust a country's honesty, when it is not honest with it's responsibilities. 

Why did UK became Venezuela, Zimbabve or similar, lesser stabile country in the world?

Possibly this would end up at the "International court of Arbitration", even then they could not force the UK to pay up but if we did not then the UK would lose credibility...  

45 minutes ago, Forethat said:

I think it's a perfectly valid analogy as the proposed withdrawal agreement has a clause where the matter is covered:

EU reserve the right to hold the UK financially liable for expenses they might accrue AFTER the UK have left the EU. They have even given us the annual date when they'll send us the bar bill.  (Article 144 Paragraph 2):

The withdrawal agreement states in clear text that the UK are financially liable for financial operations approved AFTER we've left.

You really don't have a clue, do you?

Cute.

Really? At least we can finally localize the source of your misrepresentation.  This articles refers to obligations such as outstanding obligations including loans and pensions incurred before the agreement was expected to take effect. In other words, financial instruments dating from before Brexit the actual date of Brexit.

Here's the text:

"On 31 March of each year, starting in 2021, until their amortisation, expiry or termination, for each financial instrument referred to in paragraph 1, the Union shall communicate to the United Kingdom the available information regarding the financial operations referred to in paragraph 1 that have been decided upon or approved before the date of entry into force of this Agreement and those that have been decided upon or approved on or after that date. "

You would be well advised to consult this reasonably detailed explanation of an agreement that you have so abysmally misrepresented.

https://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-18-6422_en.htm

Y

• Like 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

1. I don't see any mistake. The mistake was staying this long, we're getting out just in time.

2. We are Leaving not quitting.

3. The fact that the EU is trying to extort 39 Billion from us because we are leaving is not a failing of the UK but an increasing typical vindictive reaction from a failing protectionist racket that is becoming desperate for cash to fill the gap that UK contributions will leave.

They don't decide how much we pay them any more than a husband decides how much his wife needs to pay him before she can leave the family home. If an agreement cannot be reached between BOTH parties then the courts can settle it. I'm happy with that.

not worth too much discussion but....... there are always 2 versions, you have yours and I have mine and we may have to agree to disagree, time will tell