How about a solar car port on a budget?

Apologies of this is a stupid question.

My roof is only 18°, as I use high quality imported clay tiles with double lock etc, which according to the manufacturer brochure have been tested and proven watertight at 17°.

Would you think it is possible to replace the tiles with solar panels, and make it waterproof?

4 hours ago, peterfranks said:

Apologies of this is a stupid question.

My roof is only 18°, as I use high quality imported clay tiles with double lock etc, which according to the manufacturer brochure have been tested and proven watertight at 17°.

Would you think it is possible to replace the tiles with solar panels, and make it waterproof?

Not replace the tiles , just get the right mounting system .

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/cpac-solar-mounting-i2149586530.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.11.1c396f05YgxJn6

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/cpac-solar-mounting-i3365338956.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.1c396f05YgxJn6

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/psi-solar-cell-rail-mounting-i3538421834-s13202715717.html?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/solar-cell-tile-roof-hook-i3226792818-s12020723114.html?

There are for each type of tile options to make them fit on a roof .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pink7 said:

This is a average month? You have around 10kw panels? 

Pink

February is a short month, here are the numbers for each month since we've had the full set of panels.

image.png.0ef7cde37ec0d56f1b36efc5cf6c8fee.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

February is a short month, here are the numbers for each month since we've had the full set of panels.

image.png.0ef7cde37ec0d56f1b36efc5cf6c8fee.png

Thanks for that info, how much panel kw is that? I want to try compare my calculations with real productions numbers.

Pink

45 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Thanks for that info, how much panel kw is that? I want to try compare my calculations with real productions numbers.

10.6kWp of panels.

Figures are from my metering at the distribution board.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

10.6kWp of panels.

Thanks, i guess im a bit low on my 20 x 330 (6600kw) to expect 800kw+ month. I might ad some more kw to my plan.

Pink

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

10.6kWp of panels.

How much usable average wh per month could i expect from 6600w panels? Could i calculate from your numbers, or your different setup will make it different? Battery limits not counted for now. Expect unlimited capacity for estimate

Pink

Just now, Pink7 said:

How much usable average wh per month could i expect from 6600w panels? Could i calculate from your numbers, or your different setup will make it different? Battery limits not counted for now. Expect unlimited capacity for estimate

I'd just do the simple maths proportion.

Solar is so variable that there are no guarantees.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Well, the August generation numbers are in, not such a good month as several really miserable days knocked production for six ???? 

Still, 905kWh from solar vs 222kWh from PEA is not to be sneezed at ???? 

image.png.5b15e329c8274ae0ea3946f75790f220.png

Thats not bad at all considering the Aug weather..

Pink

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Anyone considering solar do consider there is a good chance you will not be feeding back to the grid, especially if it's a new build.

Thx for this.

We were thinking of switching our PEA Supply to a 30/100 from 15/45 to support a "hide-away/man cave" in the back of the property but those plans are on hold because of the weather. Maybe after reading your comment, I guess this plan will be cancelled if it means that we will get a Digital Meter.

Running it on Solar (off-grid) will be out of the question because of the Massive cost involved, Aircons, Pumps etc etc running. (Need to spend more on the Solar install then the cost of building the "man cave". :whistling:)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MJCM said:

We were thinking of switching our PEA Supply to a 30/100 from 15/45 to support a "hide-away/man cave" in the back of the property but those plans are on hold because of the weather. Maybe after reading your comment, I guess this plan will be cancelled if it means that we will get a Digital Meter.

I would definitely avoid changing meters, but a 15/45 will power an awful lot, it won't just explode at 46A ???? 

With the solar helping it along I'd expect it to be just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Each inverter has a regular RCBO at the board.

It "should" really be a Type-B (which isn't blinded by DC over 6mA) same as is supposed to be used for EV chargers, but finding them here is somewhat ...

Everything has good, solid grounds of course.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It "should" really be a Type-B (which isn't blinded by DC over 6mA) same as is supposed to be used for EV chargers, but finding them here is somewhat ...

I take it you're using a common or garden RCBO at 30mA then?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 3:26 PM, Crossy said:

Well, a little more up to date research reveals the availability of Type-B RCDs e.g. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/rccb-type-b-ev-car-2p-c-4p-32a-40a-i3112938453-s11534562001.html? 

Note that these are RCDs and so require a separate MCB for over-current protection.

Some useful info on RCD selection https://www.technosun.com/descargas/SCHNEIDER-CONEXT-nota-corriente-residual-EN.pdf

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...