Free passage on four airlines for fruit

Free passage on four airlines for fruit

By The Nation

800_58646841b20f1e7.jpeg

Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Jurin Luxanavisit said on Saturday he had arranged for people departing Songkhla to carry up to 20 kilograms of fruit for free aboard four airlines.

“We are collaborating with Air Asia, Nok Air, Bangkok Airways and Thai Smile as well as Thailand Post Plc to package and allow transportation of the fruit in nationwide,”he said. “It’s another way to support the sale of fruit and improve prices.”

This policy reduces costs for passengers taking fruit overseas from anywhere from Bt300 to Bt3,600 per trip, he said.

The ministry also promotes exports, Jurin said, with “commerce ambassadors” touting the merits of Thai fruit abroad.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30375660

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-01
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

For those attempting to take fruit 'overseas', will they be allowed to take it onboard if their destination is one which prohibits the import of foreign fruit, or could that be an inconvenient truth?

Exactly! Don't try and get it into OZ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newatthis said:
5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

For those attempting to take fruit 'overseas', will they be allowed to take it onboard if their destination is one which prohibits the import of foreign fruit, or could that be an inconvenient truth?

Exactly! Don't try and get it into OZ.

I've never been to Oz, but I've seem some documentaries showing the customs staff at points of entry checking absolutely everything with food in.

I admire them for their determination to keep diseases out of the country.

• Like 1

As a "frequent flyer" and respected customer with Air Asia, if I enter a plane and find the cabin stinking of Durian fruit I shall immediately complain to the top Air Asia bosses in Malaysia (Thai Air Asia is only a subsidiary) and get the practice banned, as it is in many hotels!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

Fruit is a huge no no in the US...I know a guy, who was fined 90 usd for two grams of hashish from Amsterdam confiscated at JFK...was 1983, and the fine for undeclared fruit is going to be several hundred.  And, I have seen the mentioned show in OZ, too...very strict.  I can imagine their inspectors attitudes towards the Chinese..lol.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

This policy reduces costs for passengers taking fruit overseas from anywhere from Bt300 to Bt3,600 per trip, he said.

Amazing Thailand governments!!!  Doesn't anybody in that gov't know that almost all, if not all nations will not allow people to bring in produce from other countries. 

I assumed the silly scheme was intended only for travel within the country.   

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“It’s another way to support the sale of fruit and improve prices.”

I wonder how it improves prices. Are they jacked up when being sold in this scheme? If so, won't the hyped up prices offset any potential savings from not being charged extra for ones fruit by the airlines?

It seems that Thai gov'ts waste a lot of time and money with these ideas to become hubs, increase exports, and get more tourists. Many ideas are introduced, but it seems none are ever heard of again, so I have to assume they fell flat on their faces. I guess it's the approach of throwing enough mud at the wall and hoping some will stick.     

Edited by Inn Between

It seems there's a fundamental flaw in this announcement... but actually its nothing more than bumbling stupidity... 

How many Thai's are now going to lose out when their 'fruit' is confiscated at foreign airports and their only defense is that 'Commerce Minister Jurin Luxanavisit' said it was ok...

• Haha 1