Why do Thai people ignore Foreigners when they are speaking and begin speaking over them, interrupting them?

ExpatInCM

9 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Yinn, you need to travel more. 

Western countries have very diverse populations including immigrants. Many of the immigrants speak very little English (or whatever the national language is). And, yet most Westerners are polite to these immigrants and make effort to communicate with them anyway.

I have immigrant friends from the countries I lived in all over the world.

The fact that you don't understand this might be the reflection of your isolated Thai worldview.

Not really correct, these days in my work place often I am in the company of people speaking a native language to each other, I tend to switch off as quite simply cannot understand. In England my expectation is English will be the language of communication.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

@Fex Bluse Reading the news and social media coverage, one could easily get the idea that many Westerners have a very strong negative feeling for immigrants and those who do not speak English or whatever the native language is.  Granted 'some' Westerners are polite to immigrants but I am not sure you can say, 'most'.

That's fair. No reasonable person can deny that many in the West are also xenophobic. Some opinions of certain classes of immigrant are more warranted than others perhaps. For example, if a significant number of bombings are being caused by a certain group, or if a significant number of stabbings or shootings are being done by very specific groups, then I can understand some general suspicion of them.

But, some of the xenophobia is not reasonable. 

See, I can admit that certain aspects of my own culture are flawed and in need of constant improvement.

Can the average Thai admit and do the same?

The difference is that in an average Western country, maybe 50% or fewer locals are xenophobic. In Thailand, some people think that number is much closer to 100% than it is to 50%.

Edited by Fex Bluse

13 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Not really correct, these days in my work place often I am in the company of people speaking a native language to each other, I tend to switch off as quite simply cannot understand. In England my expectation is English will be the language of communication.

You mean working in England, in your workplace people are not speaking English?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 473geo said:

You mean like this....lol

english-first-language.jpg

PS: spot the mistake...

• Haha 2