windows xp upgrade to whats best?

bert bloggs

Sorry, but your assertions are completely misleading and quite wrong.

4GB will be more than adequate for the OP and for most other general usage.

There is not a problem in locating DDR2 RAM; https://www.advice.co.th/product/ram-for-pc/pc-ddr2

It is definitely not that your CPU having just two cores may be holding your laptop back. It's usually the slow spinning disk HDD that is the bottleneck. Fit an SSD and you'll see.

The amount of cores on the CPU has little to do with it.

Nope it doesn't, try checking your task manager if you have a fresh install of win 10 on a system with 4gb of ram, Windows and its background tasks already takes 3gb and cpu load at near 100% if you have 2 threads and below. Even a Skylake pentium G4400 with 2 cores struggles with win 10. No point putting ssd when everything else slows you down, especially when win update is running on the background.

Not to forget, a pc running win XP most probably only comes with sata 1, with 1.5Gbps limit so no point putting a ssd, peak throughput is limited at 150MB/s.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, katana said:

Yes, I do. Don't tell me what I can or can't post here.

Its actually Nationwide ,i recieved an e mail stating that after sept 30 the you will no longer be able to use xp to access banking ,other banks are following ,also windows 7 will follow in the near future ,they are informing all customers ,not just me ,by the way they do say that you can use a tablet ,which i do have ,but i just wanted to upgrade my system , .

Edited by bert bloggs
  • Like 2

Go for W 10 Plus and you'll see how nice a PC can be.

Make sure that you've got 4 GB DDR 2 RAM and format the HD if you don't use an SSD.

It's so easy to run a set up, but please don't go to W 7, you'll always need a driver, W 10 Pro does check that automatically and downloads the right driver.

Don't go for a fishy Thai installation, they often have serious viruses on their installation drives.

I have plenty of W 10 keys ,I've bought of ebay. I can send you one for 150 baht with the guarantee that it works.

Or you buy one from ebay. If you do that alone, you'll learn a few new things you can always use in the future. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Its actually Nationwide ,i recieved an e mail stating that after sept 30 the you will no longer be able to use xp to access banking ,other banks are following ,also windows 7 will follow in the near future ,they are informing all customers ,not just me ,by the way they do say that you can use a tablet ,which i do have ,but i just wanted to upgrade my system , .

Probably has something to do with security of which XP has nearly none. Not blaming the OS, but there were relatively few attacks on the computers as there wasn't much to gain from them back in the day. Today with all the online banking, getting someone's username and password and emptying bank accounts, or impersonating that person to squeeze money out of others, encrypting data and demanding ransoms, etc. are everywhere. A couple of years back they were showing (admittedly without antivirus stock Windows XP without service packs) connecting to internet with Internet Explorer and getting compromised within minutes. It was one of the antivirus companies doing the demo why you should really move off XP.

You would do yourself a favour to get an all-in-one screen with preinstalled Windows 10, which depending on screen size and specifications could be yours for only a little over 10,000 baht. Models with SSD which are (compared to yours) lightning fast are only slightly over 20,000 baht. It'll save desk real-estate, power and with a decent antivirus protect you from most of attacks.

If you're not willing to invest in new hardware, I would agree with getting a Windows XP lookalike Linux distribution. Many have user interface that copies Windows for easy transition.

13 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Can the bank determine which operating system you are using,

Of course they can and absolutely time to stop XP.

An incalculable risk to continue with it when connected to the internet.

Use it offline for whatever but disconnect from the net.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Go for W 10 Plus and you'll see how nice a PC can be.

Make sure that you've got 4 GB DDR 2 RAM and format the HD if you don't use an SSD.

It's so easy to run a set up, but please don't go to W 7, you'll always need a driver, W 10 Pro does check that automatically and downloads the right driver.

Don't go for a fishy Thai installation, they often have serious viruses on their installation drives.

I have plenty of W 10 keys ,I've bought of ebay. I can send you one for 150 baht with the guarantee that it works.

Or you buy one from ebay. If you do that alone, you'll learn a few new things you can always use in the future. 

I have seen these on ebay UK for win 10 they apparently send by email plus number key for a couple of quid or thereabouts do they work?

I have an old working laptop running vista (not my main PC) that i would like to upgrade if possible the only details i have are on the attachments below is it possible do you think?

IMG_20190821_193319.jpg

IMG_20190902_111730.jpg

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Can the bank determine which operating system you are using, I think not. And a VPN is not needed to access a UK bank, but is better to use one.

They seem to be able to determine what browser you are using my UK bank will not open with Chrome or Firefox gets so far, then constantly reverts back to the sign in page again, but is OK with Opera and IE browsers the advise given when i phoned the bank was use a different browser no rhyme or reasons given!

• Like 1

I have seen these on ebay UK for win 10 they apparently send by email plus number key for a couple of quid or thereabouts do they work?
I have an old working laptop running vista (not my main PC) that i would like to upgrade if possible the only details i have are on the attachments below is it possible do you think?
IMG_20190821_193319.thumb.jpg.a78eb1f647d68c562fc29ba61e25b1df.jpg
IMG_20190902_111730.thumb.jpg.a4fc43014eb6887f3c30c8d62ad861d3.jpg
No problem to run Windows 10 but you won't get best experience. You can swap ssd or sshd and add on more ram. Seeing default configuration is 3gb most 1 or 2 gb are soldered or you get 1 and 2gb sticks, you need to remove one of them.

39 minutes ago, shady86 said:
1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:
IMG_20190821_193319.thumb.jpg.a78eb1f647d68c562fc29ba61e25b1df.jpg
IMG_20190902_111730.thumb.jpg.a4fc43014eb6887f3c30c8d62ad861d3.jpg

No problem to run Windows 10 but you won't get best experience. You can swap ssd or sshd and add on more ram. Seeing default configuration is 3gb most 1 or 2 gb are soldered or you get 1 and 2gb sticks, you need to remove one of them.

Thanks for quick answer, i don't think the memory sticks are soldered from what i've seen, is it the memory that is lacking?

20 hours ago, brokenbone said:

win xp was the best, keep it for as long as the computer works. i use win 10 now and due to endless programs and animations i experience micro lags that was unheard of on xp, even with just half the hardware

Do you like an OS with the last security update installed many many years ago? 

There's a huge possibility that a computer with XP doesn't meet the requirements for let's say Windows 7,8 or 10. An update will NOT be possible, we're talking about a new/newer computer. 

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

Nope it doesn't, try checking your task manager if you have a fresh install of win 10 on a system with 4gb of ram, Windows and its background tasks already takes 3gb and cpu load at near 100% if you have 2 threads and below. Even a Skylake pentium G4400 with 2 cores struggles with win 10. No point putting ssd when everything else slows you down, especially when win update is running on the background.

Not to forget, a pc running win XP most probably only comes with sata 1, with 1.5Gbps limit so no point putting a ssd, peak throughput is limited at 150MB/s.

You're correct. The combination of a dual core cpu with 4GB slow ram and a slow HDD wont work the way you want a computer to work. And never believe for example Microsofts minimum requirements for a modern OS. You can buy really good second hand computers in Thailand,both online (if you know where and what to look for) and in stores. The OP should transfer the stuff he wants to keep to an external drive and toss the computer in the river. 

8 hours ago, JamJar said:

In this case he doesn't need a new PC either. But it make sense to take the opportunity to move to an SSD, since a clean install is on the cards. 

You can have issues with Broadcom Drivers even with the 'easy' Linux choices.

I agree for the SSD. Sometimes there is issue with driver but the older the hardware and the less likely there will be an issue. 

I consider Linux really "easy". For most peoples it's like adjusting from Windows to Mac.

Adware free software are also easier to find and install which translate in less issues. 

Edited by Tayaout

12 hours ago, JamJar said:
14 hours ago, katana said:

Yes, I do. Don't tell me what I can or can't post here.

I actually meant...are you really not intelligent enough to understand why?

But it seems that you have answered that question in both of your posts. 

To paraphrase Bill Clinton; "It's the Browser, ******."

I asked for the bank and a link because I doubted Win XP was no longer supported and it was more likely to be a browser and not an operating system. With a link from the OP's bank confirming this information, it would be possible to determine what was true.
So while you were questioning other people's IQ, I guess you were the one who actually wasn't intelligent enough to think that though ...

3 minutes ago, katana said:

I asked for the bank and a link because I doubted Win XP was no longer supported and it was more likely to be a browser and not an operating system. With a link from the OP's bank confirming this information, it would be possible to determine what was true.
So while you were questioning other people's IQ, I guess you were the one who actually wasn't intelligent enough to think that though ...

No support for XP for many years. If you have an outdated browser you won't be able to log in on, for example banks. It's exactly same if you have an old Android phone.

• Confused 1

Not true. I currently log into 2 UK banks with Win XP, no problem. In fact, I just logged in and checked my balance 5 minutes ago. Not even any message about Win XP being deprecated.

Edited by katana
  • Like 2

I have a similar 10-year old PC running Win XP & Win 7 in dual operating system mode. The simplest thing for the Op to do is to buy a copy of Win 7 and instal it along side Win XP. Yes, it may be a short-term solution but it will give the Op time to decide what to replace the old PC with.

Just to add I also have a notebook running Win 10 but IMO Win XP (with free firewall, anti-virus & malware protection) is superior to both 7 & 10.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, katana said:

Not true. I currently log into 2 UK banks with Win XP, no problem.

If you have an outdated browser (in a very old os) which can not be updated, you're not supposed to be able to log in to a bank. But then again,I don't know which bank you're using in the UK, and I don't know the security protocol your bank requires.

My advice to you would be forget about windows and their nightmare updates, regularly taking hours or even days, and buy a Chromebook. Bang up to date,and remains so, with the easy to use Android operating system. Not expensive and safer to use on line than the ubiquitous Windows system.

Also, for day to day banking, use a smart phone. You don't need anything expensive like the ridiculously priced iPhone, but make sure you get one with a fingerprint pad. It's so easy and secure to use you'll wonder why you didn't do it before.

26 minutes ago, khunken said:

I have a similar 10-year old PC running Win XP & Win 7 in dual operating system mode. The simplest thing for the Op to do is to buy a copy of Win 7 and instal it along side Win XP. Yes, it may be a short-term solution but it will give the Op time to decide what to replace the old PC with.

Just to add I also have a notebook running Win 10 but IMO Win XP (with free firewall, anti-virus & malware protection) is superior to both 7 & 10.

Acyually my wife has a pc which runs win 7 ,i just put all my banking on there ,think i will use that until as you say ,decide what to upgrade to ,at least it gives me 6 months

• Like 1

Just now, jiffers said:

My advice to you would be forget about windows and their nightmare updates, regularly taking hours or even days, and buy a Chromebook. Bang up to date,and remains so, with the easy to use Android operating system. Not expensive and safer to use on line than the ubiquitous Windows system.

Also, for day to day banking, use a smart phone. You don't need anything expensive like the ridiculously priced iPhone, but make sure you get one with a fingerprint pad. It's so easy and secure to use you'll wonder why you didn't do it before.

I believe British banks block you if you use a smartphone with a foreign tel no .

17 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I believe British banks block you if you use a smartphone with a foreign tel no .

What has the phone number got to do with online banking? The bank has a mobile app. How does a British tourist use his/her app when abroad? 

On 9/1/2019 at 5:06 PM, bert bloggs said:

only use my computer mainly to download stuff ,read the papers do banking etc

I'd also suggest installing Linux Mint if that's all you need it for. Just download the iso file burn a DVD boot to the DVD and install. It'll do all you need and will be more intuitive to an XP user than moving to Win10. Plus it's free.

29 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What has the phone number got to do with online banking? The bank has a mobile app. How does a British tourist use his/her app when abroad? 

33 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

No problem, use wi-fi. TV