And now, for something completely different...........

44 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Despite what people think, sorry I find it hard to believe that a uniformed officer at Chonburi office openly asked you for a bribe.  Maybe you misunderstood.

If that happened to me I would immediately complain to the highest supervisor and I bet they would investigate.

Well, here's the deal: the fellow got a form for a change in visa after saying my application for a new Retirement visa wouldn't work after reviewing my paperwork. As he started to take my papers and walk away into the central offices (this was at the front desk), I was about to give him the 2,000 baht fee from a pile of bills from my pocket.  He looked in my hand, gestured and said 18,000 baht which was really hard to misinterpret.  I said no, that the fee was 2,000 at which point he handed back my papers and turned away.............

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why didn't you just check into a hotel for a night, they would do the TM30 which was probably your problem, and then apply for the extension. Would have saved you about 27500 THB

Because that wasn't the problem.  The TM30 was easy, not an issue and within 24 hours of arriving in Bangkok (I live in Pattaya).  The issue was with my residence records - a rental I've had for two years for the Retirement visa process. They asked for the lease, household registration, a letter from the condo and a map.  When the examiner saw it was a foreigner renting to a foreigner without the former having a work permit, all bets were off. Staying in a hotel for a night would have had no effect at all.  My residence was already on record and I know of no situation where a hotel stay would facilitate a retirement visa............you?  The issue was that my existing retirement visa was negated by the expired multiple re-entry stamp.  If that happens, you start over and starting over, sans agent, triggered the review of everything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beggar said:

"The superficial reason was that I rented from a Chinese guy who lives in China and has no Thai Work Permit." 

Is it like this that if you rent out your own condo that you need a work permit? Could be. 

Right, that's what I understood from Jomtien Immigration.  Apparently they  figure rental income is like working, so as a foreigner, if you rent, you need the work permit.  Had I rented from a Thai, there would have been no issue (well, you know..............).  My Real Estate people were mum and not helpful other than to say they do it (have foreigners without work permits rent to foreigners) all the time.

1 minute ago, Edheres said:

Right, that's what I understood from Jomtien Immigration.  Apparently they  figure rental income is like working, so as a foreigner, if you rent, you need the work permit.  Had I rented from a Thai, there would have been no issue (well, you know..............).  My Real Estate people were mum and not helpful other than to say they do it (have foreigners without work permits rent to foreigners) all the time.

This is bad news for many foreigners renting out their condos ... and even for people renting such condos. 

But as you said you have to get a new retirement visa again. As far as I know this is the law. An agent just could try to bend the law ... or just keep your money. So move somewhere else (a legal place) and start everything again. I think this is the best option. Do it without an agent. Ask the immigration what is the easiest way. 

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik there is no rule that a retiree can't stay in a hotel, do you know any?

People here often don't understand that you don't have to play against the IOs, but play with them.

If i were you, i would have checked into a hotel for a night. Then the next morning i would have gone to immigration, applied for my extension, and told them: "You were totally right, the landlord was probably doing this illegally, because he had no work permit. Because of this i moved out there, and now i stay at this hotel instead." Everything with a smile.

"Play with them not against them" Very good advice. It often seems to me its the people who don't use agents who have the most problems.

• Confused 2

31 minutes ago, Edheres said:

Didnt they just use the landlord work permit thing because you did not play the game when offered the chance?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I have been living here more than 20 years and never needed an agent. The immigration here in Pattaya was always very helpful. I think it is not the end of the world to stay legal and do the retirement extension again. I have to renew it every year... 

This whole thread smells like many other dubious posts that have recently appeared. No matter though for eventually all these crowing posts about bribery will be noticed by those who can make life hell for some. IMO, the pressured will keep being ratcheted up and you can blame all those who brag about breaking the law.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Didnt they just use the landlord work permit thing because you did not play the game when offered the chance?

Yes, immigration finds excuses to make extra money.  They don’t have to be real.  He could have just paid 18k but he ended up paying 28k, and so an agent got 10k of that.

• Haha 1

is this for real?

are you saying you left thailand with your retirement extension but NO re-entry permit?  therefore, your retirement extension was no longer valid.  you were allowed back in on a 30-day visa (waiver?).

i can't imagine six trips for more documentation, especially for rental contract, would have fixed that.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, amykat said:

Yes, immigration finds excuses to make extra money.  They don’t have to be real.  He could have just paid 18k but he ended up paying 28k, and so an agent got 10k of that.

I never would try to bribe an officer and never did in my life. It will make you vulnerable. In this case the landlord was Chinese and so had no work permit for renting out rooms - it is like this. The officers at the immigration have the job to fulfill / execute the law. 

I often hear bars in Pattaya need to give money to the police to be allowed to be open after the closing time. Now who is the culprit? The bar owner does not close and bribes the police so that they don't care. It is not that the police ask for money to close their eyes. It is the bar owner that asks them. And it is a risk for the police not to enforce the law. 

It should not happen like this but it happens. But not only the police is to blame. Some bar owners have good connections and so the police officer does not have many options. 

Edited by Beggar

6 hours ago, Edheres said:

The superficial reason was that I rented from a Chinese guy who lives in China and has no Thai Work Permit.

Why would your landlord need a WP to rent out his condo? He's probably subject to personal income tax in Thailand but no need for a WP. Our landlord is from Hong Kong and my wife had no problems reporting herself at CW. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dnyy said:

Why would your landlord need a WP to rent out his condo? He's probably subject to personal income tax in Thailand but no need for a WP. Our landlord is from Hong Kong and my wife had no problems reporting herself at CW. 

He is doing business here in Thailand. It is not about paying taxes. Paying taxes alone doesn't allow you to do certain businesses here in Thailand. 

But it is a very interesting story with perhaps severe implications for many foreigners here. If I have time I will dig deeper but perhaps we have a lawyer here in the forum that could clarify this.

7 hours ago, Edheres said:

Well, here's the deal: the fellow got a form for a change in visa after saying my application for a new Retirement visa wouldn't work after reviewing my paperwork. As he started to take my papers and walk away into the central offices (this was at the front desk), I was about to give him the 2,000 baht fee from a pile of bills from my pocket.  He looked in my hand, gestured and said 18,000 baht which was really hard to misinterpret.  I said no, that the fee was 2,000 at which point he handed back my papers and turned away.............

Right then and there you could have fixed things without an agent and saved money. Seems your new to Thailand. You will learn how things work. Anytime my company had to deal with the govt my Thai partner or another Thai from the office would handle things.  About 90% of the time they would make a "donation" to "expedite" things. We get it now, instead of weeks for a small fee (100-300B) this is just how things work in Thailand, and most of Asia.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beggar said:

He is doing business here in Thailand. It is not about paying taxes. Paying taxes alone doesn't allow you to do certain businesses here in Thailand. 

But it is a very interesting story with perhaps severe implications for many foreigners here. If I have time I will dig deeper but perhaps we have a lawyer here in the forum that could clarify this.

Again a work permit is not needed to rent out a condo. Also, a work permit is to allow you to work in Thailand. The owner is not in Thailand!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:
17 hours ago, Edheres said:

and you forget that your Multiple Re-entry Stamp expired

what does this mean?

It probably means he being economical with the truth/facts to try and gain some sympathy.????

As a multiple re-entry permit would be valid for the length of his extension, because it had expired, his extension would also have expired, it wouldn't have been voided because of the lack of a multi re-entry permit.

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1