Spell Check For Posting On Thai Visa

Mobi

Many people have asked me if there is a spell check you can use when composing posts on TV. I have always advised them to write in Microsoft word, do a spell check, and then cut and paste. (I rarely do this myself. coz I'm too lazy :D ).

Anyway, for those who don't know, the latest version of Firefox browser has an add-on which is a British dictionary. If you download this, everything you write on a web page is automatically spell-checked - just like Microsoft word. It doesn't check grammar, but it does a fair job on spelling, including suggesting correct alternative words.

Saves loads of time and makes posting even more of a pleasure :D

(Apologies to the experts out there who are already up to speed with this. :o )

Many people have asked me if there is a spell check you can use when composing posts on TV. I have always advised them to write in Microsoft word, do a spell check, and then cut and paste. (I rarely do this myself. coz I'm too lazy :D ).

Anyway, for those who don't know, the latest version of Firefox browser has an add-on which is a British dictionary. If you download this, everything you write on a web page is automatically spell-checked - just like Microsoft word. It doesn't check grammar, but it does a fair job on spelling, including suggesting correct alternative words.

Spell check with fire fox latest version, But you have to right click on every word to spellcheck is that right or is there an easier way?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1

Edited by mpdkorat

Spell check with fire fox latest version, But you have to right click on every word to spellcheck is that right or is there an easier way?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1

No. Firefox automatically underlines in red any mis-spelt words, and by right clicking you can see the suggested corrections. (Like it just underlined mis - in mis- spelt - Doh! there it goes again!)

I'm using Windows XP. Not sure what version of Firefox - I think it is 2.0.0.1. I suggest you just update to the latest version available and see if it works. That's what I did.

Why not use the built-in spell checker, even works with Internet Explorer :o

Click the check-mark with ABC next to it, top right of the editor window.

Not sure what you are referring to Crossy, I don't see it on mine (ABC). This is on my screen:

post-566-1174446352.jpg

Why not use the built-in spell checker, even works with Internet Explorer :D

Not sure what you are referring to Crossy, I don't see it on mine (ABC). This is on my screen:

post-566-1174446352.jpg

I'm also lost :o

What editor window?

I can't see any ABC anywhere.

I have no idea how I got it, but I ukually have a built-in spell checker. Oops, maybe not now. Anyway, sometimes it underlines the misspelled words, and it uses American English. Maybe it just works in Mozilla, because now I'm using IE.

Firefox 2.0 does have it built in and works a treat, not sure about Mozilla (the base FF is built on) but it probably has it also.

I use IE and added the Google tool bar which comes with a spell checker built in. When you create a new topic or reply to a post it has the spell checker button in the editing window. It is located directly above the "align left" and next to "undo" buttons

The spell checker can be downloaded from http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Hope this helps

Was always top of my form at spelling, who needs it :o

It is actually very irritating to find words underlined in red knowing

you have the correct English version and Mozilla FF wanting you to use the American version.

Wouldn't it be boring to read posts all spelt / spelled perfectly ? :D

Why not use the built-in spell checker, even works with Internet Explorer :D

Hmmm, this is mine :-

post-14979-1174454731_thumb.jpg

IIRC correctly it appeared when the board software was updated, had to download the checker itself when you clicked on the icon.

I thought (incorrectly) everyone had the icon even if the checker wasn't installed and it would install on first use.

Sorry for the confusion :o

EDIT Here's the original thread about the new features http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96270

EDIT 2 It's ieSpell get it here http://www.iespell.com/

Edited by Crossy

Was always top of my form at spelling, who needs it :D

you have the correct English version and Mozilla FF wanting you to use the American version.

That's the beauty of this add on that appeared from nowhere - it's a BRITISH dictionary. I too get tired of American dics putting ize's onto all my ise's. :o

IIRC correctly it appeared when the board software was updated, had to download the checker itself when you clicked on the icon.

I thought (incorrectly) everyone had the icon even if the checker wasn't installed and it would install on first use.

Sorry for the confusion

So how does one update the board software if it hasn't updated automatically?

So how does one update the board software if it hasn't updated automatically?

The software that was updated resides on the TV server.

I think you can just download and install ieSpell and the ABC icon will magically appear :D

I really don't remember the sequence of events (and reading the old thread didn't re-kindle the memory) I must be getting old :o

Thanks for the tip Mobi. I was running Firefox 1.5.5.5 and clicking update only gave me the updates to that version which doesn't have the spell checker.

To update and get spell checker you must have Version 2. You should go to the official Firefox 2 download site and CLICK HERE to download the British Version Firefox 2.0.0.3. Save that to desktop then install. After installation you can install the British Dictionary which opens on your greeting page.

Thanks now mine is updated and working fine, cheers. :o

Was always top of my form at spelling, who needs it :o

Heer, Heer!

Well I was just passing on the info for those who might be interested, and as I said, I have had a number of people ask me about this, so I was passing on what I thought might be useful information to those who needed it.

I first started using computers in the early eighties, and if memory serves me correctly, spell checks, in one form or another, came along soon after that.

There must be millions, if not billions of computer users throughout the world who are grateful for the assistance of spell checks when writing on their computers, especially the two finger merchants like me, who habitually hit the wrong keys, and now have the benefit of the spell check to quickly iron out my miss-keying.

If there are some quirky individuals on Thai Visa who don't have any use for spell checks, that's fine, and if they want to post with bad spelling, that's also fine. It doesn't bother me, and I doubt whether it bothers anyone too much.

However, I can't help feeling that to come on here and say you don't need spell checks, is akin to going on a thread discussing Thai food, and say you never eat it, or a thread discussing dogs and say you don't want one. Nobody stopping you, but what's the point?

But for those who were interested, hopefully I have done a minuscule good turn by pointing them in the correct direction.

Mobi

:o

Well I was just passing on the info for those who might be interested, and as I said, I have had a number of people ask me about this, so I was passing on what I thought might be useful information to those who needed it.

I first started using computers in the early eighties, and if memory serves me correctly, spell checks, in one form or another, came along soon after that.

There must be millions, if not billions of computer users throughout the world who are grateful for the assistance of spell checks when writing on their computers, especially the two finger merchants like me, who habitually hit the wrong keys, and now have the benefit of the spell check to quickly iron out my miss-keying.

If there are some quirky individuals on Thai Visa who don't have any use for spell checks, that's fine, and if they want to post with bad spelling, that's also fine. It doesn't bother me, and I doubt whether it bothers anyone too much.

However, I can't help feeling that to come on here and say you don't need spell checks, is akin to going on a thread discussing Thai food, and say you never eat it, or a thread discussing dogs and say you don't want one. Nobody stopping you, but what's the point?

But for those who were interested, hopefully I have done a minuscule good turn by pointing them in the correct direction.

Mobi

:D

---------------------------

Thanx... :o

Yep, I thought it was interesting too, been meaning to do it for sometime, but as I am computer illiterate, I have been waiting for my Brother to do it, but thanks to Bmanly I followed your links and have just done it, so fair play to both of you.

My only problem now is I an not sure whether I have downloaded the Brit or U.S version, I think I first downloaded the U.S and then went onto download the Brit one, so which one will be dominant?

Also,

I still do not have an ABC icon, but incorrectly spelt words are underlined as shown in my deliberately misspelt, 'Yep', for example.

Also can someone clear up for me, I thought the z instead of an s was the usual Brit spelling, as in realize, this was according to Inspector Morse anyway, not the best reference I admit, thoughts anyone.

Most of all Thanks Mobi and Bmanly.

Good Luck

Moss

Mobi

:D

I along with many others appreciate the heads up, just having a little joke thats all.

Cheers :D

BTW gwertz shouldn't that be Hier Hier :o

Edited by OneeyedJohn