Expats keeping a phone number in their citizenship country (aka MagicJack not working).

14 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

What I meant by this isn't relating to the setup of TextNow.

What I mean is that I have 1 email address and 1 phone number linked to my accounts.

So if you don't get the 1st text to your phone #1, you have them text to phone #2, then phone #3, then phone #4. (I realize this almost never happens).

A bank told me a few days ago that I can list a 2nd phone #.

But only 1 will be the primary and receive texts.

I would have to  call in and make the 2nd phone # the primary (if getting a text at the 1st one fails) and get a text there.

But I don't think I can link a 3rd # and a 4th #, and then it would mean calling back a 2nd time to have cs switch to the next # and then calling back again and switch to the next #.

I'm surprised that works as I'd think the banks suspicions would be raised, but great if it's successful.

In my experience, when it comes to entering phone numbers with banks....

If you're trying to use a number that their online banking system won't accept, usually it will tell you that right when you try to enter the number. And the online banking system will popup a message saying "invalid number" or something similar. 

I can't recall ever having a situation where I'd successfully listed a phone number with a bank, their system accepted it, and then it failed to work for receiving SMS messages from them.

So I've never ever had to go thru the tortured kind of process you're describing above. If the bank's system doesn't accept the first number I try, then I'll try the second one, and so on, until I find one it accepts.... But all of that is in online banking...not thru repeated calls to customer service.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For my numerous accounts, I'd say TextNow would work (be accepted by the financial entity) for receiving SMSs about 90% of the time....

But I will mention, I have noticed a difference between what some banks and such are requiring to OPEN a new account vs. what they'll require and accept to receive log-in codes for security once the account is open.

In my experience, I've run into the "we'll only accept traditional postpaid mobile numbers" more often as part of a new account opening process, but very rarely once accounts are open and the entity simply wants to send you a log-in verification code for an existing account.

Sounds good until your browser changes or you get a new computer. Then its back to the 2 step,cause their security systems won't recognize who you are again.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, riclag said:

Sounds good until your browser changes or you get a new computer. Then its back to the 2 step,cause their security systems won't recognize who you are again.

I've never had the problem you're describing, and I change computers and IP addresses on them all the time.

I'm guessing you're talking about your computer or browser storing cookies.... But even when those get deleted or erased, it just means the entity will want to send you a code via SMS or email or phone call for log-in verification.... And there are plenty of options available for being able to receive those codes.

With most of my financial entities theses days, they've pretty much all gone to two-factor authentication for log-in regardless. So regardless of whether my PC has stored a cookie from them, when I go to log-in, I'm going to have to receive and enter a verification code almost all the time (though there are a few exceptions where the cookie alone avoids that).

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never had the problem you're describing, and I change computers and IP addresses on them all the time.

I'm guessing you're talking about your computer or browser storing cookies.... But even when those get deleted or erased, it just means the entity will want to send you a code via SMS or email or phone call for log-in verification.... And there are plenty of options available for being able to receive those codes.

Yes , Its this "plenty of options"  to receive  security codes that this OP is or had questions on how to play the game while living here.

Some of us are struggling with this.

VOIP service is fine for calling but not  always dependable for a bank 2 step verification.

Finding banks and financials that will give easy access to our money  while living here is getting more difficult everyday..

We must have 2 or 3 options, using Banks and phone companies

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, riclag said:

Yes , Its this "plenty of options"  to receive  security codes that this OP is or had questions on how to play the game while living here.

Some of us are struggling with this.

VOIP service is fine for calling but not  always dependable for a bank 2 step verification.

Finding banks and financials that will give easy access to our money  while living here is getting more difficult everyday..

We must have 2 or 3 options, using Banks and phone companies

I realize some folks are having trouble navigating the whole U.S. phone numbers and SMS reception maze. But FWIW, a lot of my accounts, probably most of them (but clearly not all), also allow log-in confirmation codes to be sent/received by email as another option. And pretty much everyone ought to be able to handle those!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I realize some folks are having trouble navigating the whole U.S. phone numbers and SMS reception maze. But FWIW, a lot of my accounts, probably most of them (but clearly not all), also allow log-in confirmation codes to be sent/received by email as another option. And pretty much everyone ought to be able to handle those!

So whats your suggestion going forward for Jimmy?

• Like 1

Recently I needed to do a transfer between two U.S. banks. It required me to either get a text or get a voicemail to my U.S. phone number on record. Whatever that number was, mobile or not. That was a new one on me. I have a U.S. voip number on record that doesn't accept texts but does of course receive voice calls. This was different to me. It seems usually you might have a "regular" number on your record but can ADD a mobile number for security texts. So I was OK with that but could have been a curve ball for some people. 

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've made bunches of them, in the prior posts in this thread.....

Obviously, everyone has a different situation, and has accounts in different places. So it's just a matter of working your way thru the various options until you find one (or a group of them) that work.

Email is universal, if that's available. Google Voice works for SMSs the vast majority of the time. TextNow is an equally good free solution for both texting and calling. MagicJack is very good as a paid service for receiving calls, but not so good for SMSs.  And then, there are the various low-cost MVNO U.S. mobile providers out there, for when you have to have a traditional mobile number.

T-Mobile's former $3 a month top-up service has been a longtime favorite, but now they've turned that over to UltraMobile for new signups...though existing subscribers can continue via their existing TM accounts.

And although Jimmy was told that Ting would require U.S. activation and in-service time in the U.S., I responded to him that I opened my Ting account only a few months back and didn't run into any of those restrictions at the time, or ever since having opened it. YMMV.

And those are just some of those that I've used and have found viable for life here. There are others out there that other folks use... But I didn't want to speak to services that I haven't had personal, direct experience with.

One of my financial institutions does not send out an email.  Me still old fashioned phone and don't have an email capable phone yet so that limits me for some things at the moment, although that could change.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 7:34 PM, riclag said:

What your saying is the TMobile $3 plan won't work on a extended basis,Right? If this is correct than I was given the correct advice in July when I first inquired. 

I've been using the TM $3 a month prepaid service for the past couple years without any problem, other than having to remember to top up my account via the TM website periodically.

On 9/8/2019 at 2:40 AM, riclag said:

I would of preferred Ting $6 plan but I didn't know if their merger with Verizon was going to screw things up especially with the mix suggestion I got from CS ,back in July  

I was thinking about that lately....since I have a Ting account...

And basically, once it's activated, I'm thinking like this....

If you're roaming on an already activated Ting account in Thailand, it eventually is going to be with a Ting/Verizon SIM, so one's phone will need to be compatible with that presumably CDMA capable SIM.

But, the roaming networks in Thailand that you'd be connecting to in Thailand won't be CDMA ones or even the Verizon frequencies used in the U.S., but instead, the normal LTE frequencies used by the Thai mobile services here and whichever one or ones of them Verizon is using as their Thailand roaming partner.

On 9/8/2019 at 5:20 AM, JimmyJ said:

If you are using Ting and/or T-Mobile's $3/month plan / Ultramobile PayGo $3/month plan, would appreciate feedback - Any issues? Happy with service?

Problems?

I sent an email to UltraMobile about the details of their international roaming a while back, and finally got an emailed reply...  I'll copy the info below....

But one part I'm still fuzzy about, and have asked them to clarify as a follow-up, is whether the following UltraMobile international roaming details do or don't also apply to PayGo accounts.

Thank you for contacting Ultra Mobile. Yes, we support data roaming, below more details about our roaming feature. Yes, you can take us with you while traveling out of the US; by purchasing UpRoam credit, you can continue making calls, receiving calls, sending text messages and using your data overseas.

We do highly recommend you to activate Roaming before leaving the US by following the next step:

1. Activate your SIM card (if applicable)
  2. Add UpRoam credit
  3. Before leaving the country please turn on Airplane mode
  4. After landing please turn off Airplane mode
  5. Activate Roaming manually on your device
  6. Text #766# to enable data roaming.

Roaming rates

Each MB of data cost $0.20

How roaming works:

Incoming and outgoing calls will be debited from your roaming balance as well as outgoing texts. [no charge for receiving SMSs while roaming]

Purchase roaming credit in one of the following options:

1. By logging on your account and then going to UpRoam tab.

2. By dialing UpRoam at 6700.

3. calling our customer care team at 611.

If you would like to know more about this feature, please check it on our website >> https://www.ultramobile.com/international-roaming/.

1112236386_2019-10-1521_30_59.jpg.bbb86ad803d4d8add9cf7f8db43df977.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2019 at 10:49 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Both Ting and Mint are pretty good low cost options for regular mobile numbers.

I'm aware of the coming changeover at Ting from them using T-Mobile to using Verizon as their network instead. It's supposed to start at the beginning of 2020, but from what they've told me, they've got all of 2020 to try to migrate their customers over to the new network, which will require them getting and using a new SIM card.

Verizon, despite historically being a CDMA network, is transitioning to LTE and 5G networks, and already is using LTE frequencies. Whether the particular LTE bands anyone has on their phone are compatible with the ones Verizon is and will be using obviously is an individual case situation.

When Ting first made the Verizon announcement, I too thought I'd have to ditch them and switch to some other GSM network provider. But now after reading more and checking on Verizon's plans, I think I'm going to wait and see how things play out. (Obviously, I have LTE capable phones, but in your case with an old GSM only phone, that wouldn't work.)

Verizon, and hopefully Ting moving forward, does have a pay as you go international roaming service that should work for receiving SMS messages and such on their phone when outside the U.S. without having to subscribe to any expensive international roaming add-on.

However, for potential new Ting subscribers, one problem I encountered is their system wasn't willing to accept and send a new SIM to either of the mail forwarding addresses I use. So I ended up having to use a family member's residential address, and then have them forward the SIM to me.

How do you find out if you have a LTE capable phone or a phone capable of recognizing a Ting SIM?  I have a dual SIM Oppo purchased in Thailand.  I really don't understand how this stuff works.

On 9/6/2019 at 11:07 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In that case, I have relied on both T-Mobile's $3 a month pay as you go service, which is easy to get and maintain

How do you get a T-Mobile $3 a month pay-as-you-go service is you don't live in the US?  I believe the initial setup requires a visit to a T-Mobile store in the US.  But if not, then how?  

42 minutes ago, Buba Ho Tep said:

How do you get a US Ultramobile SIM while residing in Thailand?
According to the site, "The PayGo Plan is available at select T-Mobile locations" which means you need to be in the US?

I got the SIM at a T-Mobile store in the US.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the only way to get started.

Edited by JimmyJ
26 minutes ago, Buba Ho Tep said:

How do you find out if you have a LTE capable phone or a phone capable of recognizing a Ting SIM?  I have a dual SIM Oppo purchased in Thailand.  I really don't understand how this stuff works.

Their website I believe has a link for checking if one's phone will work.

Otherwise call their cs.

If you've read this thread you realize they won't turn on International roaming until you've used it in the US for 3 months.

I should say "They may turn it on after 3 months."

Up to their discretion.

Edited by JimmyJ
21 minutes ago, Buba Ho Tep said:

How do you get a T-Mobile $3 a month pay-as-you-go service is you don't live in the US?  I believe the initial setup requires a visit to a T-Mobile store in the US.  But if not, then how?  

Reading the thread would have answered this.

The T-Mobile $3 plan is now the Ultramobile Paygo ($3) plan.

Edited by JimmyJ
13 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Skype unlimited subscriptions (or to your needs) and a real phone number is super easy and very inexpensive. 
In this case you are not depending on a SIM card or even a certain phone too.

I believe Skype does not allow SMS.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I believe Skype does not allow SMS.

I keep reading that Skype does not allow SMS.  However, I've created and logged on to Skype and selected the "Skype Number" to get a local phone number.  On the number selection page it indicates that it is "2-way SMS enabled". 
Can someone who uses Skype explain why it can't be used for receiving SMS even though it says it's SMS enabled.  I'm totally confused.

SS_Skype_Num.png.a964408f51190f34672c0212bec5babf.png

4 minutes ago, Buba Ho Tep said:

I keep reading that Skype does not allow SMS.  However, I've created and logged on to Skype and selected the "Skype Number" to get a local phone number.  On the number selection page it indicates that it is "2-way SMS enabled". 
Can someone who uses Skype explain why it can't be used for receiving SMS even though it says it's SMS enabled.  I'm totally confused.

SS_Skype_Num.png.a964408f51190f34672c0212bec5babf.png

Just found the reason from a Skype FAQ:
"* Note: You can receive SMS messages on your US Skype Number from US and Canadian mobile numbers. However, SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers."
<sigh>
Oh well, nice thought.

5 hours ago, Buba Ho Tep said:

It depends on your location.

--In Thailand, if you're trying to use a Ting SIM in a phone here, it's going to roam to one of the regular Thai mobile providers like AIS or DTAC or True (whomever Ting-affiliated T-Mobile has Thailand roaming arrangements with) and that would be your mobile connection. Thus any Thai phone that works with those services is going to work with a Ting SIM for roaming here.

--Back in the U.S., however, the current Ting SIMs rely on the T-Mobile LTE network in the U.S., so the quality and speed of your connection there is going to depend on whether your Oppo phone supports the LTE bands used by T-Mobile in the U.S. T-Mobile uses various LTE and 3G bands there, depending on the city/market location.

So you'd need to check with 3G and 4G/LTE bands your OPPO phone supports, and then see how those compare to the various bands used by TM in the U.S.  Usually, there's going to be at least some common band that's going to work, but might not be as fast as a U.S. phone specifically made to be compatible with U.S. mobile networks.

5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Possibly Ting no longer will work for me for the same reason.

Just a couple of updates on this subject from my end of things:

TING

1. My Ting service works perfectly fine in Thailand on a roaming basis, and it worked equally well when I was back in the U.S. for a family visit there. Ting has lately put off their previously announced plans to abandon T-Mobile and go entirely with Verizon, and now instead is saying they're going to continue working with both TM and Verizon moving forward. So there will be a lot of flexibility there in terms of phone and network compatibility for the future.

Ting isn't the easiest service to get signed up with initially (because for example they'll only send their SIMs to registered U.S. addresses and not mail forwarding addresses), but once you're onboard with them, the phone service works very well in my experience.

T-MOBILE $3 A MONTH

2. I spoke with T-Mobile customer service tonight as a long-time $3 a month pay-as-you-go plan member. And despite their offloading the NEW prepaid budget phone plans to UltraMobile, the TM rep assured me that PRE-EXISTING TM customers on the $3 a month prepaid plan and service will be able to continue using it with TM indefinitely into the future. The rep said there are no plans to cancel or otherwise transition prior TM PAYG $3 customers over to UltraMobile.

Obviously, that doesn't help folks who don't already have the $3 a month plan with TM and now no longer can apply for it thru TM. But at least it's good news for the considerable number of folks here who have and have had the $3 a month plan for long duration.

6 hours ago, Buba Ho Tep said:

I don't believe TM is offering the $3 a month prepaid plan themselves anymore for new customers, and they've shifted their budget/low-cost plans for NEW customers over to UltraMobile. The only remaining prepaid plans TM now is offering for NEW customers are expensive, starting at $35 or $40 a month.

HOWEVER, TM did announce back on Nov. 7 that they're going to be coming out soon with a new POSTPAID service called T-Mobile Connect that will cost $15 a month and include a high speed data component, something the $3 a month plan did not include. TM hasn't made T-Mobile Connect available yet (probably sometime in the first half of this year). But when they do, for someone seeking new U.S. phone service, it sounds like it will be a very compelling offer for use both in the U.S. and when abroad as an SMS/backup U.S. phone service.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/supercharged-uncarrier-moves

With the new T-Mobile Connect, all U.S. and Puerto Rico consumers will get an unprecedented HALF OFF of T-Mobile’s lowest priced plan, and access to the New T-Mobile’s supercharged 5G network. At just $15 per month, the plan will give customers unlimited talk and text with 2GB of high-speed smartphone data. That is an estimated annual savings of $180 per year! For $25 per month, customers get 5GB of high-speed data. And because we know that customers use more data every year, T-Mobile Connect will also have an innovative Annual Data Upgrade to give customers an additional 500MB of data per month, every year, for the next five years!

Just to be clear, that would be unlimited talk and text when in the U.S. on the TM network there. But, I think it's pretty safe to assume that the T-Mobile Connect plan/service will include the same international roaming capabilities that all the other TM services have, meaning their phones/SIMs can be used to send and receive SMS messages here in TH at pretty low per message rates, and even make or receive calls (at not so low roaming rates).