Bank book-

Going to try and renew my retirement next week. I'v been reading here about what I need to bring to IO. no problem- think I'm covered ( guess I'll find out soon enough if not). Anyway- says copy of bank book. Do I just copy 1st page showing my name and bank, or do I need to show all deposits and withdrawals. Bank letter will have all my wire transfers from u.s.bank to thai bank - correct?

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I do a retirement extension and only have needed to demonstrate 3 months of seasoning of the 800,000 baht. Copy the name page as you state, and the last updated entry, along with pages going back the required 3 months. Two months may suffice now. Sign all copies and take the bank book with you too. 

Don't forget the 'bank letter'.

• Like 2

The bank letter will show you the balance you have at certain accounts at this bank. Which accounts you want to have listed there is up to you. But the account with the 800.000 is enough. You also should make a deposit or withdrawal when you ask for the bank letter. Take 100 Baht. This movement will not be shown at the amount of the bank letter. No problem. I did this 1 day before I applied in Jomtien and everything was accepted. 

• Thanks 1

OP, I presume you are talking about 65k income method rather than 800k deposit. Its probably best to mention what office you will be going to as requirement vary from office to office. 

A bank letter usually just confirms you have an account and todays balance etc, you would need bank statements to show income.

Again , it would come down to the requirements at your local office, some may be happy with just pages from a bank book, others may want itemised bank statements, letter from pension provider etc.

Thanks to all- I have pension retirement so for the last 3 years I've been doing the 65k route, although this is the first year that u.s embassy won't give income letters, so I'll make copies of all bank info and see how it goes. If not - off to Laos for 1 year non -o multi entry till next year-

1 minute ago, john thom said:

Peter-  Sisaket immigration 

Maybe just ask directly, any advice on here will be generic and may be different to local requirements.

Hopefully someone who uses sisaket office can advise specifics.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, john thom said:

Bank letter will have all my wire transfers from u.s.bank to thai bank - correct?

This should be fine. The associated Credit Advice Receipts would help as well.

But obviously, always have copies of supporting documentation on hand, along with originals...

So, make copies of every page of the bankbook(s) (incl title page), showing the qualifying foreign transfers. Bring the bankbooks with you.

And bring along copies of any documentation supporting the source of the income (SSA/1099, 1099, 1040A, etc.).

And you may also need a same-day account ownership letter from the bank (a brief letter which details your name, account number, current balance).

On 9/8/2019 at 8:46 AM, john thom said:

Thanks to all- I have pension retirement so for the last 3 years I've been doing the 65k route, although this is the first year that u.s embassy won't give income letters, so I'll make copies of all bank info and see how it goes. If not - off to Laos for 1 year non -o multi entry till next year-

I did the income extension at the Sisaket office in June.  I thought I had all the necessary paperwork which included a 12 month (single page for each month) deposit statement which the local Bangkok Bank branch got from Bangkok.  That took less than a week.  When I gave that to the Immigration office they then wanted a signed statement from the local bank showing the present account balance.  That took about an hour.  Took that back to immigration then got my visa processed right away. 

Edited by kensisaket

2 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

they then wanted a signed statement from the local bank showing the present account balance. 

This seems standard...

And you may also need a same-day account ownership letter from the bank (a brief letter which details your name, account number, current balance).

The questions remain...

1.) can this letter be dated a day or two earlier?

2.) is some sort of same day activity (dep/wd) required?

3.) do you need copies of the passbook with this same day activity?

There seems to be some variability, based on some of the reports I've read.

The Qualifying Foreign Transfer letter can be dated up to a few weeks prior, again based on recent trip reports, assuming it includes your most recent QFT.

21 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

This seems standard...

The questions remain...

1.) can this letter be dated a day or two earlier?

2.) is some sort of same day activity (dep/wd) required?

3.) do you need copies of the passbook with this same day activity?

There seems to be some variability, based on some of the reports I've read.

The Qualifying Foreign Transfer letter can be dated up to a few weeks prior, again based on recent trip reports, assuming it includes your most recent QFT.

I opened my Bkk Bank account over 5 years ago.  At that time they made me open 2 accounts; because, the U.S. gov't does not allow ATM cards on direct deposit foreign accounts.  Every month I go to the bank and transfer money between those accounts.  I'm sure there are people on here who will disagree with that; however, they had official bank forms just for that purpose. It makes sense in that it keeps that direct deposit account pretty much locked if you die.  Anyway, that shows account activity.  There was no immigration requirement for same day account activity, they just wanted to see the account balance.  Why I don't know; because, I had all the supporting documents for the required monthly income including my bank book.  "It's right there in the bank book" wasn't good enough, they wanted a signed letter from the bank.  As I am sure everyone on here can attest that there is no arguing with them; so, I just went to the bank and got a signed letter. I'm sure getting that letter a day or 2 earlier would have been ok; because, even Thai immigration is not going to dictate bank policy on how quickly they act on a customer's request.

Edited by kensisaket

On 9/8/2019 at 8:21 AM, sometime said:

Don't forget to make a deposit into the account before updating your bankbook on the same day you go for your extension.

This was a requirement for me at Jomtien

I think you only have to do that so the account is current on the day they give you the letter and copies of the book for immigration. It can be a withdrawal as well.

On September 8, 2019 at 8:21 AM, sometime said:

Don't forget to make a deposit into the account before updating your bankbook on the same day you go for your extension.

This was a requirement for me at Jomtien

They want you to update the bank book and they want the current balance to be the same as shown on the bank letter. Making a deposit is not a requirement unless your bank doesn't update the book without a deposit or withdrawal.

At Bangkok Bank all you need to do is shove your bank book in the update machine and it will print a new line with the balance brought forward. Actually, whenever I've requested a bank letter for my extension the bank has updated my bank book at the same time.

On September 7, 2019 at 11:21 PM, worgeordie said:

All pages of bank book,and get the bank to put a chop on them.

regards worgeordie

You're asking the bank to certify your photocopies of your bank book?

Never heard of anyone doing that. If you're  using the baht 800k in the bank method, that would seem to be the purpose of the bank letter and if you're using the 12 months of income, immigrations wants specific documentation from the bank. 

Im surprised that a bank employee would be willing to certify photocopies, but I guess it must happen if you manage to have it done.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Actually, whenever I've requested a bank letter for my extension the bank has updated my bank book at the same time.

Yes, that is my experience... although I too did it at the machine on the way in. Now all done by the regular tellers. 

• Like 1

I can’t believe how STUPID the Thai government is. I walk into to IO with a bankbook, copies of the front page and copies of the last three months pages to show the 800,000 has been on deposit for that time and they want in addition to that (the real thing) a letter from the bank saying you actually do have an account there. Where the hell do they think the bankbook came from? Unfrigginbelievable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

I can’t believe how STUPID the Thai government is. I walk into to IO with a bankbook, copies of the front page and copies of the last three months pages to show the 800,000 has been on deposit for that time and they want in addition to that (the real thing) a letter from the bank saying you actually do have an account there. Where the hell do they think the bankbook came from? Unfrigginbelievable.

Well, not sure who is stupid in this case. That requirement for an immigration bank letter has always been there in such applications and I've yet to hear of even one report where that well known, long established requirement was waived.

Enjoy Thailand. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, not sure who is stupid in this case. That requirement for an immigration bank letter has always been there in such applications and I've yet to hear of even one report where that well known, long established requirement was waived.

Enjoy Thailand. 

And considering the number of people who claim to use agents who manage to bypass the requirement for money in the bank entirely, who can blame them for wanting documented proof that they can keep after you and your bank book leave the building. 

In most countries even though you have certain original documents, when you present photocopies, government entities require the copies to be notarized or certified in some way.

46 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

Where the hell do they think the bankbook came from?

I can't believe the things some people can complain about. I guess it's a reaction to the loss of face they suffer when they can't cope with fairly straight forward, long standing riles and regulations.

Yeah if the bank letter requirement one time a year (costs me 200 baht at SCB, other banks I hear are cheaper) was the only annoyance with Thai immigration policies, I probably wouldn't even bother reading these visa topics. That's like a pin-<deleted> in an environment of swinging machetes.  

Edited by Jingthing