At what time should it be quiet in a condomenium

At what time should it be quiet in a condomenium with mixed people?   

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Delight said:

In the condo building where I live the Rules and Regulations are very specific.

Excessive noise is strictly banned.

It also states that the problem ideally is solved by the co -owners in question.

Failing that the Juristic Manager has to fix it.

All co -owners  accept that New Years Eve will be noisy -nobody complains.

Maybe your building has similar rules.

This can be both a positive and negative thing.     In my home country those "Rules and Regulations" are called  "Conditions, Covenants and Restrictions" or commonly  known as C C & R's

While I don't blanketly support the power of Home Owners' power given by the CC&R's  if   an owner is causing trouble for all other owners of a property the HOA can be very  helpful in resolving the matter.  The problem owner will simply be fined  by the HOA and until the fine is paid, the owner absolutely cannot sell the property because the owner is fined according to the rules of the association.    This is all handled by the government as a fine levied against the property and it must be satisfied before the property can be sold.

Does the condo has rules and regulations?

Usually or it should be around 10 PM, had same issue couple years ago and went to tourism police because management didn't do anything when I complain, tourist police came and told them to stop. Recently somebody (Thai owner) was using a drill at 11 PM at night, did it 3 nights in a row, some of us complain to the new management and the guy stopped, try speaking with management, avoid speaking to the guy thus avoiding confrontation, direct face to face interaction can be trouble

Edited by Mavideol
spelling

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Op: One way to handle this to avoid any potential confrontation: 

Leave a bottle of wine with a polite note on it asking that he exercises more restrain with the volume dial....  After all, you mentioned he could be in his 60's therefore half deaf and unaware of himself as many older folk tend to be ????

if the guy doesn't drink you will be in trouble, he may think that you want him drunk, avoid any confrontation,  get the management involved

17 hours ago, Airalee said:

Not in my building.  My landlord owns the unit under me and I have already checked to see If the tenant can hear anything.  Nope.  Also introduced myself to my neighbors and told them to come pound on my door if they ever heard me.

Admittedly, I’m surprised that this place is so soundproof.   My last condo, I could hear much more than music through the walls.

maybe I shouldn't ask but curiosity killed the cat... how old are you? what's the pleasure of listening to LOUD music

8 hours ago, Tagged said:

And this is why I rent condo, and not buying. We have rented several different condos, and never had a problem. Just once I went to the Neighbour, and asked him to use his headset when sitting on the balcony. Except from that never a problem. I do not think it would be any problem here either, if we can just talk together as normal adults, and clear the problem. 

The rest of the building is quite quiet, and this is the second room I had here, and so far until now been good place. It is quite a new place to, so Neighbours is not a problem when normal activity and sounds. 

Maybe he read here and reconsider his loud playing, and get his headphones on. 

if you name the location sure it will help to identify the noisy guy

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, USNret said:

If your noisy neighbor is up till all hours of the night, you can be pretty sure he sleeping late in the morning. So a long overdue project with hammers power saws and drills at about 7 AM ought to get his attention.

I just do not want trouble with my Neighbours, so if it is that bad, just give him a friendly warning. 

19 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

No. its residential. People are working and sleeping accordingly. At my condo, rules are pretty strict, thankfully.

Same here, It is so quiet here. I live in an extremely well run condo complex and they do enforce noise issues. Probably because it is mid to upmarket and there are a number of senior/ elderly Thais here. 

This is in stark contrast to an apartment I had at home which was to end of the market and hopefully priced out of the ghetto blaster market. Unfortunately four or five younger people would share a two bedroom apartment and there was really no way of enforcing their flaunting of noise - the body corporates were useless and the police had more pressing priorities. Thankfully Thailand is so far ahead of other countries in these matters the body corporate has balls and they enforce the rules with fines and evictions.

I live in a condo with only thais in the building.Normal houserules.If someone is noisy i dont care.Sometimes neighbours figthing when drinking. In my floor have some bargirls coming home middle of nigth.I can hear them but its ok..i been young too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Rules set by, and agreed to by the owners and long term renters.  Such rules include no smoking in the gym or poolside, correct attire in the gym and pool  no garbage dumped in the corridor, no dogs, no narcotics etcetc. If you dont like the rules then you can find another place.

Sounds like your living in a school or a institution for the insane.

You can keep your condo minds I live a a detached house and I'm free.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Airalee said:

Thankfully, my condo is already quiet and as my living room has no common walls with other units, I can play my stereo (with subwoofer) pretty loudly at all hours...sometimes as late as 4am.  Can barely even hear it in the hallway as the doors are so solid.

However, in the interest of the poll...I’ll vote for between 10pm and 10am.  Early quiet time for those that need to wake up early.  Late ending for those that like to sleep in.

No common walls but how about floors and ceilings?  At one of our condos we could here the upstairs owners playing loud music in the middle of the night. 

21 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Nah, personally i think its the opposite. Should be quiet 24/7.

Loud music is always annoying, get a house if you want to hear music 24/7 so that others can hear it.

I never heard anyone in our condo...

Being a jerk should never be acceptable Irrespective of the residence.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Sounds like your living in a school or a institution for the insane.

You can keep your condo minds I live a a detached house and I'm free.

Its actually a fairly normal set of civilised rules agreed upon by the owners and people who live there. Its how such communities thrive. However,  even when I live in my villa and house in other countries there are agreed codes of behaviour based on mutual respect.  You seem to be fixated with a juvenile sense of anarchy. 'Core baby Im really free'!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stigar said:

I live in a condo with only thais in the building.Normal houserules.If someone is noisy i dont care.Sometimes neighbours figthing when drinking. In my floor have some bargirls coming home middle of nigth.I can hear them but its ok..i been young too.

Actually its the deaf and elderly that make noise. Im 66 still have bar girls round but just dont make loads of noise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

No common walls but how about floors and ceilings?  At one of our condos we could here the upstairs owners playing loud music in the middle of the night. 

Top floor so nobody above me.  Tenant downstairs says he can’t hear a thing.

You get what you pay for.  Live in a low rent condo expect there to be noise as people are out late drinking and bringing home bar girls, especially if you are in Pattaya.  The higher the rent or purchase price of a condo the less problems you will likely encounter overall.  Yes, there are exceptions.  Especially if units are being rented out by AirBnB.  

As for me, I live in a house (that my son owns) so I don't have this problem.  

8 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Why a note? Are you afraid to speak to him? Surely any decent condo has security personnel. If the guy frightens you, ask security to speak to him. Trying to bribe him with wine or a muffin basket and an anonymous note tells him that he controls the situation.

I'd see the bottle of wine as a note of appreciation of my music and crank it up to share the love.

Honestly if someone comes to Thailand, or anywhere in Asia for peace and quiet they are, quite frankly, deluded.

Edited by emptypockets

8 hours ago, USNret said:

Notice the postscript in that news story? 

"In compiling this story The Phuket News has received several threatening emails and phone calls. All information regarding these threats have been passed on to the police."

So yeah, don't wanna get mixed up in that.

So USNret doesn't mean ex SEAL obviously.

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Dogs are not allowed in most condos.

Sorry, I should have said that this was in Singapore where a lot of Condos will allow you to keep pets...

In the end, it wasn't the dogs barking that caused me to move, it was the family in the condo opposite (approx 50-60 feet, could see balcony-2-balcony) who got their little girl a piano & she would practise the same few bars/notes for hours on end, the neighbour above thought this was a good idea so got their little girl one & did the same.  This was just about bearable, until they started building a new MRT station right outside & put up soundproofing to keep the construction noise out, but that works both ways, it kept the noises from within IN!!! 

Touch wood haven't had the same problem in Bangkok, there the layout is such that the only thing I hear from my 1 joining neighbour is when I'm in bed & they use the shower or flush the toilet, can't really have a go at them for that.

Edited by Mike Teavee