Working In Bkk For A R.o. Based In Singapore

Hi!

Main branch of the company in Europe with a Representative office in Singapore wants my family and I to relocate in BKK this summer. We are currently living in Singapore and at the moment do not oppose such a move.

I have browsed many sites ( thank you all for the links) and understand that to get a work permit and dependant permits for my family:

1. the company ( but which one?RO or main?) needs to ask for a Alien Operation License from the Ministry of Commerce of Thailand and 2. once acepted , ask for the work permit for me and family.

Questions: in "real life" do you know how easy it is to get this Alien Operation License ? How fast can it be done? Do we need the help of a lawyer ? Also do you know if I can still get my salary paid in Singapore and if so where should I pay the tax? I undertsand taxation in Thailand are higher than in Singapore... last question, I would be working from a home office. is it authorized in Thailand?

Looking forward for your inputs... Decision must be made quickly!

cheers!

Hi!

Main branch of the company in Europe with a Representative office in Singapore wants my family and I to relocate in BKK this summer. We are currently living in Singapore and at the moment do not oppose such a move.

I have browsed many sites ( thank you all for the links) and understand that to get a work permit and dependant permits for my family:

1. the company ( but which one?RO or main?) needs to ask for a Alien Operation License from the Ministry of Commerce of Thailand and 2. once acepted , ask for the work permit for me and family.

Questions: in "real life" do you know how easy it is to get this Alien Operation License ? How fast can it be done? Do we need the help of a lawyer ? Also do you know if I can still get my salary paid in Singapore and if so where should I pay the tax? I undertsand taxation in Thailand are higher than in Singapore... last question, I would be working from a home office. is it authorized in Thailand?

Looking forward for your inputs... Decision must be made quickly!

cheers!

The best ones here to respond to your questions are Sunbelt Asia and Indo-Siam. Both are in that business and can give you the right advice promptly. They both have links on ThaiVisa. Good luck with it all.

Hi -

The sponsor for the Thai Representative Office (TRO) must be the Head Office of the company, not another intermediary office without its own capitalization.

If you send me an e-mail message to which I can reply with attachments, I can send you details.

A few key facts:

1) Your activities in Thailand must not directly earn revenue paid to Thai office from Thai clients.

2) As head of TRO, you can obtain work permit and entry permit without consideration of number of Thai employees.

3) A major expense factor may arise, as the cost for registering the TRO includes a fee of 5 baht per 1,000 baht of MAIN COMPANY registered capitalization - with this part of the fee capped at 250,000 baht.

4) The process involves submitting - after translation into Thai language - what amounts to a quite detailed business plan for your TRO, including 3-year financial projections. We have some pretty good "boiler plates" prepared. We can also help prepare the sections related to estimating market size in Thailand for your business, who your competitors are, and who your major targets will be. Also, details of your marketing plan, operations plan, staff training plan, etc.

5) The process starts with Head Office submitting application and key corporate documents (translated into Thai) to Thai Embassy in country where Head Office is located. Thai Embassy must endorse ("legalize") these, and they must then be sent to Thailand for the application processing at this end.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com