Inspired by Swedish teen, worldwide protest demands climate action

rooster59

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Yes, you want others to post vids of people contradicting your message? That would be people with much more authority on the subject btw.

Yes and I can find more vids contradicting your message by other people with more authority then yours. The science is not settled.

39 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Ah, that old argument about the church again. Debunked already many times, amongst others in this very thread.

What makes that tired cliche so utterly ridiculous is that in the case of the church vs. Galileo it was theologians judging scientific research. . Today it's scientists judging scientific research. 

On 9/21/2019 at 6:06 AM, daoyai said:

Sorry but I really don"t need teens teaching me science. If there is climate change and there always has been... we are great at adapting.  

If that comment is the level of your science, i suspect the average teenager's level is way ahead of you.

You probably do need a teenager to teach you a thing or two.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Electric cars are the solution, and better than fossil fuelled, but should be powered by hydrogen, not batteries that pollute to make and dispose of.

Till they make an electric car that can be refuelled in the same length of time as a petrol powered one, they ain't going to be a viable alternative outside cities.

If I make an 8 hour journey, I'm not stopping for an hour or more to recharge.

People who believe technology will save us are in for a nasty shock.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

We can all live without international air travel, mobile phones and individual cars ( in situations where there is enough public transport as in London- I didn't own a car or m'bike there ). No one HAS to fly on international holidays, or use mobile phones- which are polluting to make ( as it used to be when I was young ).

Rubbish.  Its not a case of have to. It the oppurtunity to do things. No one has to wear shoes or wear underwear.  But we do. Your suggestions are fallacious and contentious and without merit. You can give up the benefits of modernity if you wish and sh!t in a ditch if you want to but don't expect us to. Im sick death of the dictatorial wokeness of the eco extremists.

Meanwhile those advocating the green deal are flipping steaks in Iowa at the Great Iowa steak fry courting votes. It really doesn't get anymore retarded than that. Telling the humble farmers of Iowa how important they are.

When they basically plan to put them out of business. Lots of cow farts and BS there.

A couple of negative emojis on my last post but can you imagine Booker, a VegLib grilling steaks and trying to keep his cool? How about Lizzie the lizard telling them how combustion engines are a thing of the past so ethanol from corn is a dead thing. How about some other virtue signaling Dem-bag telling them that corn syrup won't be needed anymore.

there is no way the farmers vote for them. 

38 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Meanwhile those advocating the green deal are flipping steaks in Iowa at the Great Iowa steak fry courting votes. It really doesn't get anymore retarded than that. Telling the humble farmers of Iowa how important they are.

When they basically plan to put them out of business. Lots of cow farts and BS there.

As long that the cow are grass fed on a pasture they help catch more carbon in the soil than they emit. The problem is grain fed (not their natural diet and make them fat and sick) in a feeding lot. I hope the steak they are flipping are grass fed. 

16 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

As long that the cow are grass fed on a pasture they help catch more carbon in the soil than they emit. The problem is grain fed (not their natural diet and make them fat and sick) in a feeding lot. I hope the steak they are flipping are grass fed. 

in a state like Iowa that is known for its corn? Probably the greatest producer of corn on the planet.

It is also the most altered environment in the USA. Iowans left less then 1% of the natural prairie grass. My point is you can not continue to pretend you  have the interests of the farmers in Iowa when you support the new green deal.

http://whiterockconservancy.org

7 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Before corn there was grass and bison. I'm also skeptical they would use grass fed beef but maybe... 

http://www.eatwild.com/products/iowa.html

Screenshot_20190924_080036_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Take a look at the link I left. From Whiterock conservancy. I lived in Iowa and know what goes on there a bit more than somebody like Corey Booker or Andrew Yang would. 

I am going to go out on a limb here and even say I more well versed than even Greta on this matter. She should sail over to Iowa some time and take a look. 

17 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Some people see electric cars as a solution.

However, it is how the electricity that powers them is produced that matters. 

Electric cars are better than fossil burning ones, but they are only part of a wider strategy. 

That said, even when using fossil fuel generated electricity, electric cars still use much less of the fossil fuels as a car directly using them. 

Don't forget in your calculation the 8% transmission loss just to get the electricity to the electric car.  Electric cars can reduce the local atmospheric emissions in large conurbations but serve no real purpose in sparsely populated area in cold countries where the waste heat you factored into your calculation is very useful for keeping the car's inhabitants alive. 

Let us not forget that withstanding all the science that business is still looking for the next Y2K where billions will be spent for little or no reason. 

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Don't forget in your calculation the 8% transmission loss just to get the electricity to the electric car.  Electric cars can reduce the local atmospheric emissions in large conurbations but serve no real purpose in sparsely populated area in cold countries where the waste heat you factored into your calculation is very useful for keeping the car's inhabitants alive. 

Let us not forget that withstanding all the science that business is still looking for the next Y2K where billions will be spent for little or no reason. 

I installed solar when I was young. The amount of energy to make a panel has come way down but nothing is free. You have to look at how much energy was used making a solar panel or where the lithium from a battery comes from or what mine those rare earths come from.  

41 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Let's not forget the revenue lost to the government for the road taxes which are based upon the price of gas. EV are subsidized. 

46 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Moving in the right direction and can only improve. They will replace fossil fuel burning vehicles as they are better for the environment. 

Not sure what you are implying in final paragraph but human caused climate change is very real and a real threat to life on the planet. 

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Moving in the right direction and can only improve. They will replace fossil fuel burning vehicles as they are better for the environment. 

Not sure what you are implying in final paragraph but human caused climate change is very real and very much a danger to us as a species. 

This is possible if you triple the price of electricity. Otherwise it is a farce. How do you pay for the roads?

Just now, Cryingdick said:

This is possible if you triple the price of electricity. Otherwise it is a farce. How do you pay for the roads?

As I said in a previous post, ev’s are not a solution on their own but part of a wider range of measures. 

The cost is something we have to accept as the alternative is climate collapse. 

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Not sure what you are implying in final paragraph but human caused climate change is very real and a real threat to life on the planet. 

That's a fair post, but the change must be gradual, and for sure it might be painful for the economy of billions of people, who have families, and have to use a car just to make a living.

That's why we should be careful at pointing fingers, none of us is completely innocent, and none of us is completely guilty.

Archived