Inspired by Swedish teen, worldwide protest demands climate action

rooster59

8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

First off, there is a wide spectrum on the autistic scale. Thunberg has Asperger's. And how do you know that Greta was told this information and passively accepted it? Did someone tell your child that there are video games out there and he has to play them?

I told him once that he can only drink water from the water bottle in the house. Now we have a water filter system and we get our drinking water from there. He would rather die of thirst than drink water from the new system. 

You can't be sure what things will sink in an what things won't. But once it's in there, you will have an incredible fight to update that information. Like he won't eat a cookie without milk. All other snacks, nothing required.

I can imagine the nightmares Greta was told about the climate apocalypse.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

Yes, but it would be your imagination. She has told at length how she got interested and how she pestered her family to go along with her agenda.

You are really splitting hairs. Who cares how she first got the info. The propaganda is everywhere. The point is that she is being represented as passionate and thoughtful when in reality she wouldn't consider an alternate view to save her life. She is simply the perfect virus. Everyone trusts her because she is young and sincere and passionate. She speaks in a way that makes it seem like she has knowledge beyond her years. But in reality she is just a recording. And also she is being exploited.

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

You are really splitting hairs. Who cares how she first got the info. The propaganda is everywhere. The point is that she is being represented as passionate and thoughtful when in reality she wouldn't consider an alternate view to save her life. She is simply the perfect virus. Everyone trusts her because she is young and sincere and passionate. She speaks in a way that makes it seem like she has knowledge beyond her years. But in reality she is just a recording. And also she is being exploited.

I can only guess you're making this assertion about her because she has Asperger's. In fact, people with Asperger's tend to have very powerful intellects. Lots of scientists have Aspergers. People with it are different, not afflicted. And people with Aspergers do tend to have knowledge beyond their years. That's the reason why it was colloquially known as "little professor syndrome."  And your assertion that she is being exploited is based on what facts? Clearly your assertion that she is just a recording is nonsense. She handles herself when being questioned by people who disagree with her. 

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Ever argue with someone with Aspergers? Did they ever accept your argument?

And of course you would say she does well against people who disagree with her. Because you agree with her.

A lot like deniers refusing to accept the facts.

43 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

And of course you would say she does well against people who disagree with her. Because you agree with her.

Go ahead and look at her testimony to congress. Does that sound like someone who's just reciting what she's told? Clearly she's mentally agile. And if Asperger's people are so stubborn about their convictions, why is it that they can be very good scientists? 

48 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

What makes your criticisms of Thunberg particularly bizarre is that what she says is based on what the overwhelming majority of climatologists contend whereas you support self anointed  climatologists who air their "research", not peer reviewed, on the internet. And she's a person who can't be reasoned with?

13 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

What makes your criticisms of Thunberg particularly bizarre is that what she says is based on what the overwhelming majority of climatologists contend whereas you support self anointed  climatologists who air their "research", not peer reviewed, on the internet. And she's a person who can't be reasoned with?

Well it would be bizarre if I agreed with her and not with the people whose propaganda she is regurgitating.

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Well, the fact that a 16 yrs old student can get more media coverage than several thousands of accomplished climatologists is quite telling about the gullibility of the masses, don't you think ?

I am still waiting for a genius to present some feasible solutions, just to shout "things must change !" seems rather useless to me.

I'm also quite in disagreement in putting a 16 yrs old, who has barely started her life, in the center of the world audience, from a human point of view it makes me worried and a bit sick.

5 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

If there are deniers, they seem to be on each side of the debate, don't you think ?

No. One side uses verifiable proven facts. The other side just think because they are old they know better and cant handle change.

The problem is there are too many people and Asian plus African populations are exploding. The world can probably only sustain about 60% of those now present really. The climate change thing is becoming a fanatical religion/cult that does itself no favours when they all start getting violent along with the eco-fanatic nutjobs that do more harm than good. As for this little girly, well, sanctimonious lessons on anything from you (so snowflaky really) are not needed as people are aware of the situation. If these kids started throwing away their smart phones, only using long distant travel methods when it is really needed, shunning transport that isn't electric (even though the electricity has to be made somewhere too), trying to stop the disposable culture of buying one-use items, making it law that appliances can be fixed when they go wrong like they used to be, place onus on finding a replacement to plastic that does the same job but actually bio-degrades properly and so on, then that would be better. 

52 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Don't take it personally. 

If you are making an nonsense argument void of scientific evidence or facts then your argument is bad, I'm sure in most other respects you're a swell guy. 

Of course i don't take it personally.

But your argument is non existing, every idiot can shout "things must change" , then , when asked how, they hide behind "science".

So please tell me in short what would be your plan, if you had the power to do something real.

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The poster I asked the question reacted with confusion.

He said (not to me) and I quote:

Perhaps I misunderstood , if so please explain . But I fail to see how there can be any confusion to the question "How does one hide behind silence??   "

Yes, you misunderstood.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

But your argument is non existing, every idiot can shout "things must change" , then , when asked how, they hide behind "science".

So please tell me in short what would be your plan, if you had the power to do something real.

Here’s a revelation for you.

When public opinion demands change, governments either respond or fall.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Here’s a revelation for you.

When public opinion demands change, governments either respond or fall.

You must be very young, here's a revelation for you, if voting could make some difference, they would not allow you to do it.

Perhaps you have not realised yet, but it's money who runs the world, not the governments.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

The idiots you refer to are the climate scientists who unanimously say things must change.

they also tell you how it must change and how science can help.

the real idiots are the ones saying we dont want to do it as it costs too much for now, we are better to disregard science and destroy the planet so we can live our next 20 Years with cheap beers and girls.

however the young ones want to see their own future more bright and say you old gits can sod off and work out a way to make it sustainable for us. To allow us all that we have, and more, but do it without raping and pillaging the planet.

give us the same as we have but in a way that doesnt kill us.

thats what they ask.

2 minutes ago, Sujo said:

The idiots you refer to are the climate scientists who unanimously say things must change.

they also tell you how it must change and how science can help.

the real idiots are the ones saying we dont want to do it as it costs too much for now, we are better to disregard science and destroy the planet so we can live our next 20 Years with cheap beers and girls.

however the young ones want to see their own future more bright and say you old gits can sod off and work out a way to make it sustainable for us. To allow us all that we have, and more, but do it without raping and pillaging the planet.

give us the same as we have but in a way that doesnt kill us.

thats what they ask.

This old git, thanks for that, understands very well the size of the problem.

Why do you assume i drink a lot and spend money on girls ? I am living very frugally all my life, and thanks goodness i am also vegetarian, so first, you are barking at the wrong tree.

Secondly if we don't manage to stop wars and crimes such as slavery (yes,slavery exists in 2019) and the governments of the world start working together, scientists can do nothing.

I stop here, for the moment, to let you think a bit.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

This old git, thanks for that, understands very well the size of the problem.

Why do you assume i drink a lot and spend money on girls ? I am living very frugally all my life, and thanks goodness i am also vegetarian, so first, you are barking at the wrong tree.

Secondly if we don't manage to stop wars and crimes such as slavery (yes,slavery exists in 2019) and the governments of the world start working together, scientists can do nothing.

I stop here, for the moment, to let you think a bit.

I doubt climate scientists are investigating slavery.

6 minutes ago, Sujo said:

I doubt climate scientists are investigating slavery.

Same as i, my point is, if we cannot ban wars, hunger, exploitation, and every sort of social injustice, we will never be strong enough to force the governments to work for the people and for the environment.

Then what if America, say , starts a "clean environment" plan, and China, say, doesn't agree ? Bomb them ?

Close factories who pollute ? Great, and what you do with millions of unemployed ?

You see, it's not as easy as it seems.

Archived