Inspired by Swedish teen, worldwide protest demands climate action

rooster59

The easiest way to immediately reduce carbon no matter what is to stop breeding. It also curtails many other problems on the planet as well. This should be for now the number one single focus for anybody concerned about climate change. 

People keep having kids and feel they have some sacrosanct right to do so. Then they wonder why the world is getting worse for their kids. The irony it is because they keep having them is the problem never sinks in.

It's sort of like a cat lady who thinks every kitty is precious and takes them in to the point where the environment is dirty contaminated and reeks of <deleted>. But boy aren't they cute we can always use another kitty. Every parent I know thinks that their kid is some precious gift to the world in the same way.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

The easiest way to immediately reduce carbon no matter what is to stop breeding. It also curtails many other problems on the planet as well. This should be for now the number one single focus for anybody concerned about climate change. 

People keep having kids and feel they have some sacrosanct right to do so. Then they wonder why the world is getting worse for their kids. The irony it is because they keep having them is the problem never sinks in.

It's sort of like a cat lady who thinks every kitty is precious and takes them in to the point where the environment is dirty contaminated and reeks of <deleted>. But boy aren't they cute we can always use another kitty. Every parent I know thinks that their kid is some precious gift to the world in the same way.

Stop breeding, really ? Sounds impractical to me, for so many reasons.

Just thinking about it gives me the shivers.

What next, eugenics ?

1 hour ago, Elad said:

What does Greta think about SF6, a greenhouse gas that's 23,500 times more potent than CO2 being released into the atmosphere due to wind turbines?

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49567197

The SF6 is widespread and not particularly applicable to wind turbines.   Here's a little about it:

Sitting in the North Sea some 43km from the Suffolk coast, Scottish Power Renewables has installed one of world's biggest wind farms where the turbines will be free of SF6 gas.

"In this case we are using a combination of clean air and vacuum technology within the turbine. It allows us to still have a very efficient, reliable, high-voltage network but to also be environmentally friendly," said Costa Pirgousis from Scottish Power Renewables.

It would seem that those against wind turbines are just stuck with it causing cancer.

On 9/21/2019 at 5:33 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You know nothing, Greta Thunberg.

The thing youths never realise is that having an opinion is not knowledge.

If they were actually wanting to do something, rather than having a love in, they should go out and pick up garbage.

How many of them refuse to travel in fossil fuelled vehicles, don't use mobile phones or avoid air travel? Need I use the H word?

Pick up garbage?

An example of the profound ignorance that surrounds climate change deniers

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, bristolboy said:

As for more people being government policy. Really? Very few nations are promoting that. 

LOL. I think most countries are looking for immigrants- the US allows thousands in every year, Britain gets loads, Europe gets loads ( how many did Germany take? ) - government policy. Singapore and Japan are trying to get citizens to breed more children- government policy.

7 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Stop breeding, really ? Sounds impractical to me, for so many reasons.

Just thinking about it gives me the shivers.

What next, eugenics ?

People cause pollution- reduce people= reduced pollution. I thought we wanted less pollution, but perhaps I was wrong, we want more people but say we want to reduce pollution, which is a nonsense.

Anyway, how many people are too many? 100 billion? 200 billion? Do tell.

9 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Same as i, my point is, if we cannot ban wars, hunger, exploitation, and every sort of social injustice, we will never be strong enough to force the governments to work for the people and for the environment.

Then what if America, say , starts a "clean environment" plan, and China, say, doesn't agree ? Bomb them ?

Close factories who pollute ? Great, and what you do with millions of unemployed ?

You see, it's not as easy as it seems.

Close factories who pollute ? Great, and what you do with millions of unemployed ?

It's going to happen anyway. Robotics can eliminate all human workers in factories, and it's happening already.

So what are we going to do with all the unemployed?

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

People cause pollution- reduce people= reduced pollution. I thought we wanted less pollution, but perhaps I was wrong, we want more people but say we want to reduce pollution, which is a nonsense.

Well, it's true that more people creates more pollution, and more problems in general, including loss of freedom.

But to force people not to have children is venturing in a dangerous territory.

How to implement that ? Forcibly sterilise people ? The one child experiment in China was not succesful, i heard.

Not to talk about the issues of an aging society, which, although not so dramatically, is already causing problems in the west, like the raising of pension age.

Society also needs young people to pay taxes to finance the pensions of the elders, so there are a few problems to consider.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's going to happen anyway. Robotics can eliminate all human workers in factories, and it's happening already.

So what are we going to do with all the unemployed?

All i can say, tough times ahead.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:06 AM, daoyai said:

It is an interesting topic, protesting the destruction of the carbon eating, oxygen spewing forests is on track. The emotionalism and arrogance of youth is cringeworthy.  Sorry but I really don"t need teens teaching me science. If there is climate change and there always has been... we are great at adapting.  

"Sorry but I really don"t need teens teaching me science."

Scientists teach science.....these kids are hoping you listen to the scientists

7 hours ago, Elad said:

What does Greta think about SF6, a greenhouse gas that's 23,500 times more potent than CO2 being released into the atmosphere due to wind turbines?

SF6 is used in electrical switchgear and importantly not all electrical switchgear, there are alternative technologies that do not use SF6.

A good example of where regulation is required to place environmental considerations into business choices.

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I think most countries are looking for immigrants- the US allows thousands in every year, Britain gets loads, Europe gets loads ( how many did Germany take? ) - government policy. Singapore and Japan are trying to get citizens to breed more children- government policy.

In terms of global population how does somebody moving from one country to another increase the global population?

Or are you just triggered on immigration and immigrants to making off topic illogical arguments?

50 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not all people have an equal impact on the environment, very specifically people living in the developed world have per capita the highest impact but per capita the lowest birth rates and often to the point where populations are (without immigration) in decline.

People living in the ‘developing world’ have per capita vastly lower environmental impacts but per capita higher birth rates.

So let’s cut the pretense, this talk of cutting birth rates is not about cutting the number of people living in the developed world, it’s pointing at those people over there who aren’t like you for some reason or another.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, it's true that more people creates more pollution, and more problems in general, including loss of freedom.

But to force people not to have children is venturing in a dangerous territory.

How to implement that ? Forcibly sterilise people ? The one child experiment in China was not succesful, i heard.

Not to talk about the issues of an aging society, which, although not so dramatically, is already causing problems in the west, like the raising of pension age.

Society also needs young people to pay taxes to finance the pensions of the elders, so there are a few problems to consider.

I'm not talking about forcing people to have less children. In western countries it's not going to happen any time soon, though it may happen when the world population approaches triple digit billion people. Just stopping paying people to have children would result in a lot less births.

IMO the Chinese one child policy was given up for reasons other than success or failure. 

Ah, the "we need young taxpayers to pay for the oldies" mantra. 

Why does no one remember that there are literally multi millions of young people wanting to go and work in western countries? Why can't they be paying the taxes to support old people?

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not talking about forcing people to have less children. In western countries it's not going to happen any time soon, though it may happen when the world population approaches triple digit billion people. Just stopping paying people to have children would result in a lot less births.

IMO the Chinese one child policy was given up for reasons other than success or failure. 

Ah, the "we need young taxpayers to pay for the oldies" mantra. 

Why does no one remember that there are literally multi millions of young people wanting to go and work in western countries? Why can't they be paying the taxes to support old people?

Western people are already breeding less in recent years, although the immigrants compensate for that, with all the social issues that come with that.

In China there were many cases of families killing the new born if it was female, shocking, if you ask me.

Millions people are already migrating to Europe, and paying taxes to support the pension system, those who can't find a job and end up unemployed, create more problems for an already overburdened social welfare.

I'm not against immigration and multi-culturalism, but it's a fact that in many western countries there is a palpable sense of unease, which in many cases turns into ugly racism.

Don't know where you're from, but where i'm from, Italy, some day you get the feeling that we're on the brink of a social catastrophe.

My perception is that everyone is slowly, but steadily, getting more isolated, apart from social media, and it's a bit scary to think how societies may evolve in some 10 or 20 years.

12 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

People in the Western world, of course, have stopped doing this. They have voted to be environmentally proactive in the most fundamental way possible, decreasing the size of their families. But then their governments overrule them and simply say we want more people and bring them in, despite what their people want. Declining populations in the US, Europe, Japan, and, yes, even Thailand, are good things. But leaders is ignore them.

10 hours ago, Elad said:

Well that is a new one on me. Figures. So many of these green answers have not been thoroughly thought out that it is like listening to Thai Immigration some times. Only one sure fire way to reduce pollution, carbon emissions, and greenhouse gases. Fewer people. That's it. End of story.

9 hours ago, Credo said:

The SF6 is widespread and not particularly applicable to wind turbines.   Here's a little about it:

Sitting in the North Sea some 43km from the Suffolk coast, Scottish Power Renewables has installed one of world's biggest wind farms where the turbines will be free of SF6 gas.

"In this case we are using a combination of clean air and vacuum technology within the turbine. It allows us to still have a very efficient, reliable, high-voltage network but to also be environmentally friendly," said Costa Pirgousis from Scottish Power Renewables.

It would seem that those against wind turbines are just stuck with it causing cancer.

No, it would seem that you skipped the paragraph right below the one you quoted above:

"But even for companies that are trying to limit the use of SF6, there are still limitations. At the heart of East Anglia One sits a giant offshore substation to which all 102 turbines will connect. It still uses significant quantities of the highly warming gas."

31 minutes ago, zydeco said:

No, it would seem that you skipped the paragraph right below the one you quoted above:

"But even for companies that are trying to limit the use of SF6, there are still limitations. At the heart of East Anglia One sits a giant offshore substation to which all 102 turbines will connect. It still uses significant quantities of the highly warming gas."

And alternative technologies are available to replace the equipment using SF6.

Seems you skipped the point that the problem is the SF6 and that the wind turbines do not necessarily have to employ SF6.

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

My perception is that everyone is slowly, but steadily, getting more isolated, apart from social media, and it's a bit scary to think how societies may evolve in some 10 or 20 years.

IMO social media is the cause of people becoming isolated. No need to actually go out and meet real people- just accumulate imaginary friends on social media while in one's own room.

Re the last bit- I'm just happy I won't be around when it all goes sideways, and that I have no children to suffer.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO social media is the cause of people becoming isolated. No need to actually go out and meet real people- just accumulate imaginary friends on social media while in one's own room.

Re the last bit- I'm just happy I won't be around when it all goes sideways, and that I have no children to suffer.

"IMO social media is the cause of people becoming isolated. No need to actually go out and meet real people- just accumulate imaginary friends on social media while in one's own room."

We're getting off topic, but totally agree with this. I also think social media are to blame for the breakdown in society that many countries are experiencing now.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed, but there's still hope that the new generations will manage to get something good done.

We cannot be pessimistic all the time :smile:

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Agreed, but there's still hope that the new generations will manage to get something good done.

We cannot be pessimistic all the time :smile:

I became permanently pessimistic about the time population passed the 5 billion mark. I have no hope that humans will curtail their reproduction, and that can only lead to, IMO, wars for resources such as fresh water, minerals, arable land. Of course Gaia may still have a few tricks to eliminate large numbers of people eg antibiotic resistant bacteria ( caused by humans abusing antibiotics- self inflicted ).

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Well that is a new one on me. Figures. So many of these green answers have not been thoroughly thought out that it is like listening to Thai Immigration some times. Only one sure fire way to reduce pollution, carbon emissions, and greenhouse gases. Fewer people. That's it. End of story.

already  done my bit

Archived