Autoscrolling Problems

roger101

I cant access my Start menu or my Settings page. As soon as I try the auto-scrolling starts scrolling to the bottom of the page. After checking on the internet I found that you can turn the Auto-scrolling off by going into Devices on the Settings page but thats half the problem as I cant access that part of the page that has the Devices panel. Its also affecting my Spreadsheet documents (they scroll to the right).

I tried a couple of things like using a different mouse, restart, running System Mechanic and Malwareby but no joy.

So can anyone help I don't really want to take it to a shop but the solution needs to be explained simply (I know how to use the computer for what I do but little else).

Thank You

PS Or the name of the best and quickest shop to take it to.I'm in Pattaya.

Edited by roger101
Adding location

Is it a laptop/desktop ? maybe dirt etc on touch-pad, a key stuck down, unplug keyboard if a desktop. Is it the mouse pointer always moving or only scrolling when you open a menu ? do up/down keys on keyboard stop the scrolling ?

It's a desktop with a by wire mouse and keyboard its also connected to my TV. When at my desk I use connected mouse and keyboard . When sitting in my armchair I use a wireless mouse and keyboard.

The mouse pointer doesn't move just the page its resting on. I have unplugged or turned off all 4 in turn it makes no difference nor did a fresh batter in my mouse.

Hi, so is your problem resolved? It is now over 20 hours ago that it was mentioned and your issue with your desktop is older. So, here is my solution (to most Windows-related problems): you can try to do a system restore from a point in the past where you didn't have this problem. That might help. 

If that doesn't help, then instead of wasting your time in the search for a "quick" solution, save all your data on a seperate disc or partition from your pc, and have Windows installed from scratch. I know it sounds heavy, but if you have Windows 10 you will have a running system within 2 hours and your computer will be as new as it was before.

Most other solutions will only enhance the problem or at least you will waste precious time for the answer that might resolve the problem with a klick.

With that said... consider also this: how old is your pc? Do you still use a harddrive to boot from and how old is that device? If your harddrive is older then 2 years, now is the time to buy a new one. I recommend a SSD Drive, 120 GB if you don't use your pc so much, bigger if you are a heavy user and have lots of programs. In any case it is worth the while. 120 GB will cost around 600 to 1000 Baht (Lazada) or a Samsung 256 gb for around 3500 Baht (the best and fastest). Your PC will boot up 10x faster and all programs will start faster. Your system will last several years longer with an SSD.

A regular hard drive will fail at one point. It is not the question will it fail, but wenn will it fail and that can happen at any moment you expect it at least. 

Good luck!

As two different keyboards are being used it does not sound like a key is stuck down which was an issue I had.

As you are unable to access the Mouse section of settings it sounds more like a windows update might have messed up your system.

If you have System Restore enabled (by default Windows 10 does not), as Thaijack2014 advised, doing a system restore from a point in the past will hopefully resolve the issue.

Failing that go to your Windows Update and under the section 'View update history' you will need to delete any updates that occurred from just before you noticed the problem. Re-start your system and hopefully all will be good. Windows will eventually re-install the deleted updates and should the scrolling issue return you may have to block those updates.

Edited by Kron

The trouble is once people start talking about Product Keys and Drivers I just get confused.

I've never backed up an App the only thing I've done i copied a few documents to a DVD.

Kron. I've just checked settings but I can't access Windows History . Its scrolling down quicker than I can click on it.

Edited by roger101