More doom and gloom......

properperson

It's about time the problems associated with big bikes was addressed. Only a loon would allow a stranger to hand over some money and climb on to a 750cc M/C and go roaring off into the traffic.

Anyone remember those two young Welshmen who got killed on Pattaya's Second Rd near Big C within hours of hiring one of these lethal machines.

Doom and Gloom?? Not at all!! Good move!! Now they need to actually enforce the need for a proper bike licence among all motorcyclists in Thailand, 'big bike' or small. Plus, perhaps, increasing the minimum age at which a licence can be issued.

Just one thing comes to mind at the moment. My current Thai bike licence is (obviously) unrestricted, originally obtained without 'practical test' on the strength of my UK Category A (unrestricted cc) bike licence and IDP (plus advanced riding qualifications which are irrelevant here). It wasn't just another category on my licence but never ridden a bike - I was a daily, all-seasons biker for nearly 40 years in UK.

I wonder whether, similarly, a foreign unrestricted cc bike licence will allow a Thai 'big bike' licence to be issued without further practical testing. Not that it'd be a problem but I can foresee quite long waiting times for the new tests.

Edited by MartinL

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

The speed limit in Bangkok is already 80 kph. 

I think a better proposal would be limit the engine size of rental bikes? If one wishes to ride a big bike on vacation in Pattaya there is always BIRA Circuit quite nearby. 

Chiang Mai is a very popular destination for experienced big bike riders to come for a 1 week holiday and tour on big touring/adventure bikes around the mountain scenery. Why would you outlaw that? Just a requirement for a big bike license (if enforced) will do the trick... same like most countries where big bike riding seems not an issue.

• Like 2

Just now, sabaijai said:

Anyone know what  the legal definition of "big bike" is in Thailand, ie, the defining displacement size?

When this came up previously they mentioned 400cc and above, but if you ask anyone on here they will argue that the lower limit should be whatever size they happen to ride.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sabaijai said:

Anyone know what  the legal definition of "big bike" is in Thailand, ie, the defining displacement size?

well i noticed most motorbike/scooter shops are 300cc and under.

larger that that you need to go to a motorcycle dealership. that might be the definition of big.

• Like 2

Most motorcycle deaths in Thailand are on scooters, no helmets to prevent head injuries, flimsy clothing.

Thai law enforcement in Chiang Mai is a sick joke. When I am out and about on scooter or in my car, I would say at least 50% are not wearing helmets. Probably another 10% are wearing helmets with the same protective capacity as an eggshell.

Instead of fining a paltry 200 baht ( Thai ) or 500 baht ( farang ) for not wearing a helmet, impound the scooter for a month. Behaviours would change quite quickly.