Has your wife recently applied for a home loan in Thailand?

We are considering approaching our landlord to buy the building where we live and run a business.

Recently we provided full financial evidence to the bank for our business and even did a credit report via my wifes bank. We've had several meetings with this guy and made him approach the decision makers in Bangkok to basically ascertain that a loan to us for x amount is viable.

Anyways, he has come back and said that he can lend my wife 100% of the purchase price. I found this unusual as back home one has to pay 80% deposit (or up to 95% with insurance). Re insurance... he did say that we can pay 10 yrs insurance on the loan which means that if my wife dies the loan is repaid. Does anyone know if the beneficiary can be a 5 yr old child?

What I found most surprising was that he said we could only start 'officially' applying for a loan after we have signed a contract with the seller. I asked him what happens if we sign a contract and then you dont approve our loan. He didnt know the answer to this. How does this work exactly????? Can the contract have a clause that the offer is subject to finance?

Finally, I will be paying half the loan payment. Should I be opting for a 30 yr lease at the land office?

thanks for any info

"Finally, I will be paying half the loan payment. Should I be opting for a 30 yr lease at the land office?

thanks for any info"

A lease won't be allowed on a home with a bank loan.

There's a common scam where the 'wife' gets the bank to pull out of the mortgage offer at the last minute, or reduce the loan offer to 50%. Usually a conspiracy with the 'wife' to force the foreigner into parting with a lot more money than he intended. I mention it as no bank currently offers 100%, and them wanting you to sign the contract first.
Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

"Finally, I will be paying half the loan payment. Should I be opting for a 30 yr lease at the land office?

thanks for any info"

There's a common scam where the 'wife' gets the bank to pull out of the mortgage offer at the last minute, or reduce the loan offer to 50%. Usually a conspiracy with the 'wife' to force the foreigner into parting with a lot more money than he intended. I mention it as no bank currently offers 100%, and them wanting you to sign the contract first.

I specifically asked this ktb guy about the issue re do we have to pay a deposit. He categorically said that they can lend 100%. I dont know if its bc of my wifes occupation/ high earning capacity. Will find out.

41 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

I specifically asked this ktb guy about the issue re do we have to pay a deposit. He categorically said that they can lend 100%. I dont know if its bc of my wifes occupation/ high earning capacity. Will find out.

That's BS, they're lying to you.

I'd walk away from the whole idea, after hearing that one.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

Also, I meant to ask... if we are lending the money then presumably the bank attends settlement with us at the land office with the seller as well. How does this process occur?

Bank will have one of their staff at the land office, they hand the money over and take the land title away with them.

Unless you are Thai or have a Thai work permit, you won't even be allowed beyond the land office reception.

You get to sign the form, "I agree no part of this property is mine or will ever be mine" at reception.

It'll be the Thai lady, the bank staff and the land office manager doing the deal.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's BS, they're lying to you.

I'd walk away from the whole idea, after hearing that one.

this guy has been writing loans for ktb for 10 yrs. we have built up rapport with this guy and he even ran our figures by head office before we have filled out oa form. Thus I would never walk away from this. Will clarify again tomorrow

14 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

this guy has been writing loans for ktb for 10 yrs. we have built up rapport with this guy and he even ran our figures by head office before we have filled out oa form. Thus I would never walk away from this. Will clarify again tomorrow

Government capped home loans at 95% about 5 years back.

If he's offering your wife 100% there's something crooked going on.

You have no rapport, you're a mark, and he's a conman.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Wow, bar stool talk at its best. My wife doesnt work for the govt'. She has Dr in front of her name. Maybe you have no experience with these types of applications for medical professionals???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

That's not correct. Rules depend on a variety of things. 100% is possible, IF:

1) This is your first contract/ home

2) The amount is under THB 10 million

On top of that will be the bank's own lending criteria.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bank will have one of their staff at the land office, they hand the money over and take the land title away with them.

Unless you are Thai or have a Thai work permit, you won't even be allowed beyond the land office reception.

You get to sign the form, "I agree no part of this property is mine or will ever be mine" at reception.

It'll be the Thai lady, the bank staff and the land office manager doing the deal.

Not true in my case. Last time, I wasn't working at the time either and didn't have a WP.

We met the bank representative and the seller outside the land office before the office opened. We read all the various paperwork together (in Thai of course), including the mortgage agreement, and mortgage charge the bank will take. My wife of course was the one signing all the paperwork as the house and loan were in her name.

We all 4 (wife, me, seller and bank rep) went into the land office. When our turns came up I went to the counter with my wife whenever she did. There are various parts to the process, eg purchase, register of mortgage charge etc, and not all parties go up for each part. But whenever she went I did. We both wanted to make sure we understood what was going on, so both wanted this. I understand the finance side better than her on the mortgage, she probably understands land/property ownership better than me. But we both saw as it as a partnership we do together as a team

My wife of course as owner and mortgagee again signed most of the paperwork. I did sign a form saying something along the lines of "the money all came from my wife's funds and I had no claim over the assets".

"Saying it will never be mine" is stretching things and poetically embellishing. 2 potential scenarios in particular I would have an interest and claim to the assets:

1) In the even my wife dies, I can be a beneficiary and receive the house according to her will. (There are Thai rules around making this permanent afterwards, which are out of scope here).

2) Also, although you sign that the money all comes from her, that is at point of acquisition. If you are contributing to the mortgage then these count as joint assets that have been acquired after marriage and you have a claim to part on divorce. You likely won't get the house on divorce of course, nor would probably want it, but it can be taken into account in agreeing assets settlements and dividing up assets.

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonr1971 said:

Wow, bar stool talk at its best. My wife doesnt work for the govt'. She has Dr in front of her name. Maybe you have no experience with these types of applications for medical professionals???

My former wife only managed a 95% home loan 6 years back.

By the time they had added the 20 year life insurance, they had nickel and dimed it down to 90%.

Wish I hadn't bothered now.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

The way they still do 100% is that they inflate the price of property, get bank to estimate the value to the inflated value, then get the loan of 90% or 80% of that inflated value, which covers 100% of the actual price of the property.

Currently condo developers are giving 10-20% off the list price, and banks then set the value to 100% of listed price and give 80 or 90% loan cover, which is actual loan applicant needs.

Just seen that done yesterday.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

thanks for any info"

Wow!...now that's what I call a real valuable post...it doesn't apply to me but thanks for that information

Lenders here are lending 100% . Money is cheap and god knows what the scam is , but I know of someone who recently got 3 properties. In a space of 18 months. 100% borrowings.  Government worker. Govt Housing bank.

i see Australian banks now lending upto 90% . And 10% usually comes from credit card debt or some other debt. So 100% borrowings.

Recent Royal Commission into banking practices was just bs protocol. 

Banks lend a percentage of their valuation of a property NOT a percentage of the purchase price, mortgage amount etc.

They are not lending you 100%, they are lending a percentage of their valuation of the property.

If a bank lends you 800k to buy an 800k property, that means they have valued the property at 1,000,000 baht. They are not lending 100% , they are lending 80%.

Try and borrow 1,000,000 on a property the bank values at 1,000,000 and they will want you to chip in 10%. That way if it all goes bad, they can dump the property for 900k and get their money back, you lost 10% not them.

Edited by Peterw42

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

the 95% is from the property valuation amount done by the bank. If the selling amount is lower than that he might be getting the full buying amount without violating the 95% cap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how it works in Thailand but there are usually three payments when purchasing a property. An "earnest money", which is a token amount, very little, maybe 10,000 Baht given at time of signed contract. Then there is the down payment, which in your case is zero if seeking 100% financing. Then there is the balance, which in your case is the bank releasing funds in full to the seller minus earnest money amount.

As far as writing a contract without having financing approved yet, you make securing financing a contingency of sale in the sales contract. No financing and the contract become voidable.

• Like 1

Much more to it than that. This is Thailand, not the West.

I’m aware where I am thank you.

I’ve bought properties, my wife has bought properties over the years, never did we feel the need for a lawyer.

They’re really not needed and also may add more problems than they solve.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Only time I would ever agree to my wife buying from our landlord would be if :

A : My wife put down any deposit.

B : The mortgage was the same as the monthly rent.

C : The landlord shot the Cockrell nextdoor

but if you had a baby and a successful business wouldn't you consider such an option. When the lease runs out in 9 yrs its a nightmare. give a family some stability?

• Like 1