Non Immigrant Multiple entry visa back to back

Have not seen my particular dilemma posted before.

I always applied for and received my one year multiple entry non immigrant (type O) visa from the Thai embassy in London.

This is not now possible, so looking at going to Savannaket Thai consul and applying there.

Does anyone know if I will have any problems, as I wish to do this when my current multiple entry non immigrant visa expires.

I also have 90 day border runs stamps in my passport for the last year.

Compounding this, I have two other non immigrant visas that were issued in London for 2013 and 2016, along with some more border run stamps, pertaining to those years.

London, was never a problem before, but of course I never had back to back non immigrant visas.

Your input would be appreciated.

Edited by kidneyw
added extra

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to get back to back multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai at Savannakhet.

There are people that have been getting another one every year for some time now.

Would the same apply to a non O based on Thai child dependency ? i.e. no problem back to back ME Non O , after 5 years of same based on marriage with 2 year break in between .

5 minutes ago, gimo said:

Would the same apply to a non O based on Thai child dependency ? i.e. no problem back to back ME Non O , after 5 years of same based on marriage with 2 year break in between .

They do not issue multiple entry non-o visas based upon being the parent of a Thai. 

Penang will issue one but you need to show 400k baht in a bank.

• Like 1

Just curious - I've read that London, among some other places, no longer issues multi O viass since changing to on-line only applications. But does that mean only that the on-line system apparently has no way of asking for a multi but there is a way of requesting one, or that they have definitely stopped issuing them? Has anyone actually asked and been refused?
I ask because the 'old' method of filling in the application by hand also shows no facility for a multi, and I like others just write multi on the top right.

If every embassy/consulate changes to on-line applications, as will surely happen sooner or later as Thailand eventually enters the 21st century, will those married to Thais then have to apply for four visas a year instead of one, or show money 'resting' in a Thai bank for (limited) extensions? This would obviously affect many thousands of expats and be an enormous burden on some.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just curious - I've read that London, among some other places, no longer issues multi O viass since changing to on-line only applications. But does that mean only that the on-line system apparently has no way of asking for a multi but there is a way of requesting one, or that they have definitely stopped issuing them? Has anyone actually asked and been refused?
I ask because the 'old' method of filling in the application by hand also shows no facility for a multi, and I like others just write multi on the top right.

If every embassy/consulate changes to on-line applications, as will surely happen sooner or later as Thailand eventually enters the 21st century, will those married to Thais then have to apply for four visas a year instead of one, or show money 'resting' in a Thai bank for (limited) extensions? This would obviously affect many thousands of expats and be an enormous burden on some.

Non-Immigrant Type (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)

• Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand, e.g. a copy of marriage certificate / birth certificate / certificate of adoption
  • Personal details of a family in Thailand, e.g. ID card, Passport and the visa page or stay permit in Thailand
  • Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand
  • Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#6

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Non-Immigrant Type (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)

• Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand, e.g. a copy of marriage certificate / birth certificate / certificate of adoption
  • Personal details of a family in Thailand, e.g. ID card, Passport and the visa page or stay permit in Thailand
  • Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand
  • Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#6

Thanks, but this is ambiguous. It mentions relationship to a family in Thailand, but that family might or might not be Thai. It doesn't specify. Two, it mentions hotel bookings and invitation letters, which does not apply to, say, an alien male married to a Thai female and appears to be aimed at a casual visitor. And three, it asks for confirmation of your residence outside of Thailand - in this case the UK or Ireland.

Therefore, it doesn't appear to be relevant to an alien living in Thailand and married to a Thai. Clear as mud, as usual.

There is also this, which doesn't mention single or multi entry visas if married to a Thai, nor the financial requirements. https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/Family

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks, but this is ambiguous. It mentions relationship to a family in Thailand, but that family might or might not be Thai. It doesn't specify. Two, it mentions hotel bookings and invitation letters, which does not apply to, say, an alien male married to a Thai female and appears to be aimed at a casual visitor. And three, it asks for confirmation of your residence outside of Thailand - in this case the UK or Ireland.

Therefore, it doesn't appear to be relevant to an alien living in Thailand and married to a Thai. Clear as mud, as usual.

There is also this, which doesn't mention single or multi entry visas if married to a Thai, nor the financial requirements. https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/Family

That is the new and only choice when applying by E visa. Marriage, Children etc all now come under that selection. There are no more Multiple entry Non O visas issued once a country moves to E visa. Only single entry is then possible. The system is locked and maintained in Bangkok. The embassy's have no access to the system or input in to what is or isn't required. They cannot over ride the system or the requirements. The only access they have is from your personal printed Bar code slip which is generated when you apply and pay for a visa application. Without that bar code, they cannot even access your application.
As from last week and a recent update, all classes of visa application now have to provide the same required information. If you don't supply it, the system simply doesn't allow you to apply.

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Once a country switches to E visa, a lot of that really becomes irrelevant. Unless your a resident of a country using E visa, you cannot apply for visas in that country any longer. You would need really to use the in country extension or be flying home frequently for single entry visas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So they will no longer allow aliens to live with their Thai wife in her country without applying for a visa every three months in their own country, or apply for a limited time extension before, again, having to return to the country of their birth to apply again?

I have a UK passport, which means I can apply for an E visa. But I can only stay with my wife for three months before flying a round-trip of 10,000 kms to get another, paying for hotels while there, or have a considerable sum of money in the bank, something that only aliens are required to do, for an extension for a few weeks before having to return to my own country again?

That sounds like a case for the Court of Human Rights.

Hardly the case.

You can get a one year extension in country and renew it annually. Which is what most people living here fulltime do.

No need to fly anywhere.

There are financial requirements, however. 400k in the bank or an income of at elast 40K a month.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Hardly the case.

You can get a one year extension in country and renew it annually. Which is what most people living here fulltime do.

No need to fly anywhere.

There are financial requirements, however. 400k in the bank or an income of at elast 40K a month.

At least for now. But once multiple entry visas are a thing of the past, I can well see them turning their attention to extensions and deciding the current financial requirements are way too low.

47 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So they will no longer allow aliens to live with their Thai wife in her country without applying for a visa every three months in their own country, or apply for a limited time extension before, again, having to return to the country of their birth to apply again?

I have a UK passport, which means I can apply for an E visa. But I can only stay with my wife for three months before flying a round-trip of 10,000 kms to get another, paying for hotels while there, or have a considerable sum of money in the bank, something that only aliens are required to do, for an extension for a few weeks before having to return to my own country again?

That sounds like a case for the Court of Human Rights.

You would simply need to do an extension by putting 400k in a bank or using the income method. More and more embassy's are denying non residents from applying for Thai visas, particularly in Europe. You can no longer apply in the UK unless you are a UK or Irish resident or have long term leave to remain in the UK if your a non UK passport holder. You cannot apply in Japan or China unless you have residency.
It isn't anything new.
Non UK or Irish residents can no longer apply at UK consulates, which are not yet even using E visa, unless they have leave to remain in the UK.

Edited by Lovethailandelite

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You don't know that you can apply for a one year extension at an immigration office in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And why are there one size fits all financial requirements anyway? Only for aliens, of course. I can live quite comfortably with my wife on 20,000 a month, with air-con, running a vehicle, IPTV, fast internet, eating out once a week, living in a four-bedroom house I bought when I could get more than double the Baht to the Pound. Why should I need to keep 400,000 in the bank?

Mate, it is what it is. I am in the self same position as yourself and like what is going on as much as you do, but officialdom is squeezing us out. 

They seem to have decided they are Monaco or Dubai and the hell with abandoned families. All we can do is plan exit options and leave them to it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Not an option for people working off shore as we can't hang around for the under consideration period !! 

What will be the option at some point for any expat / offshore worker? Fly from Namibia / China / the Gulf to his or her own country in order to apply by an inflexible computerised system, for the honour of spending 60 - 90 days and your money in Thailand? If they let you in, that is.

It's just preposterous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Not an option for people working off shore as we can't hang around for the under consideration period !! 

Even if you could hang around and get an extension with a multi entry permit, the next year you would have to happen to fit into their time window for renewal again, and it would be like starting from scratch again anyway from what I've read....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Even if you could hang around and get an extension with a multi entry permit, the next year you would have to happen to fit into their time window for renewal again, and it would be like starting from scratch again anyway from what I've read....

It's a 45 day window in most cases and the extension is issued same day.

It's a repetitive process, but not from scratch again. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Hardly the case.

No need to fly anywhere.

And then, if you meet all the published requirements, whatever payoff is needed - directly or through an agent - at some immigration offices.

3 hours ago, baboon said:

At least for now. But once multiple entry visas are a thing of the past, I can well see them turning their attention to extensions and deciding the current financial requirements are way too low.

In other words, they need to make more currently-supported Thai families loose the person providing for them.  It's not like Immigration cares about the well-being of Thais - just how many more qualifying applicants they can drive to paying bribes.

This would fit the pattern of immigration demonstrating they do not care at ALL about the Thais losing their breadwinner, or means of earning an income from frequent/longer-stay Western tourists.  But let's hope they don't cause more harm those supporting Thai families, more than they already are through their agent-money schemes.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The requirements for UK residents applying for a visa at the London Embassy are not relevant to an alien living in Thailand.

You obviously missed this from the link you posted.

EXTENSION OF STAY
Those who wish to stay longer must file an application for an extension at the Office of Immigration Bureau located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889 (or website at http://www.immigration.go.th). The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

42 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The requirements for UK residents applying for a visa at the London Embassy are not relevant to an alien living in Thailand.

You obviously missed this from the link you posted.

EXTENSION OF STAY
Those who wish to stay longer must file an application for an extension at the Office of Immigration Bureau located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889 (or website at http://www.immigration.go.th). The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

So again, clear as mud. You may or may not get an extension, depending on the whim of the IO. Wide open to abuse, as was the TM30 situation recently when my wife was 'invited' to make an under the counter payment to avoid the maximum fine. A nation they are so proud of, too.

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So again, clear as mud. You may or may not get an extension, depending on the whim of the IO.

If you meet the financial requirements and supply the correct documents, there is no reason to refuse.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Wide open to abuse, as was the TM30 situation recently when my wife was 'invited' to make an under the counter payment to avoid the maximum fine. A nation they are so proud of, too.

Had you complied with the law initially, you wouldn't be subject to a fine.

Would you rather your wife pay the full fine and get a receipt.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So again, clear as mud. You may or may not get an extension, depending on the whim of the IO. Wide open to abuse, as was the TM30 situation recently when my wife was 'invited' to make an under the counter payment to avoid the maximum fine. A nation they are so proud of, too.

You have gone off topic, the thread is about visas.

My reference to an extension was merely an indication that it is not necessary to get another visa as you tried to make out.

Personally I will be applying for another visa rather than renew my extension but not in the UK.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

If you meet the financial requirements and supply the correct documents, there is no reason to refuse.

Had you complied with the law initially, you wouldn't be subject to a fine.

Would you rather your wife pay the full fine and get a receipt.

1 - So why is it at the 'discretion' of the IO, if such conditions are met?

2 - Like others, she had never been required in my 25 years here to report that I had returned to the address I had already given to the authorities when I entered the country. We then went to the office on another matter, an effort to be included as a resident in our house (which I've since given up because - see below) two days after I had returned, and he wanted to charge her the maximum fine for a one-day delay, obviously leaving room for 'negotiation'. And as to your question, I would rather people actually did things by the book rather than be corrupt. Anyone who prefers corruption. like the majority of Thais, has been in the country too long.

As for the house book thing, my local office demanded that I get a translation of my passport, which would be a 100 km round trip. We then were told the translation had to be rubber-stamped by the British Embassy in Bangkok, a 1500 km round trip for me. So I gave up. No doubt if I had 'negotiated' all the red tape would have vanished. This is the same local office where the official spent 15 minutes saying why she couldn't sign a form saying the person in a photo was me, the 15 minutes no doubt intended to give us time to 'suggest a solution'.

• Like 1