Non Immigrant Multiple entry visa back to back

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

1 - So why is it at the 'discretion' of the IO, if such conditions are met?

If everything is in order then you remove the 'discretion' part.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

2 - Like others, she had never been required in my 25 years here to report that I had returned to the address I had already given to the authorities when I entered the country. We then went to the office on another matter, an effort to be included as a resident in our house (which I've since given up because - see below) two days after I had returned, and he wanted to charge her the maximum fine for a one-day delay, obviously leaving room for 'negotiation'. And as to your question, I would rather people actually did things by the book rather than be corrupt. Anyone who prefers corruption. like the majority of Thais, has been in the country too long.

The laws remained unchanged for the last 40 years.

You could have filed a TM30, it's not solely your wife's responsibility.

Registration of aliens in a House book has nothing to do with Immigration.

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As for the house book thing, my local office demanded that I get a translation of my passport, which would be a 100 km round trip. We then were told the translation had to be rubber-stamped by the British Embassy in Bangkok, a 1500 km round trip for me. So I gave up. No doubt if I had 'negotiated' all the red tape would have vanished. This is the same local office where the official spent 15 minutes saying why she couldn't sign a form saying the person in a photo was me, the 15 minutes no doubt intended to give us time to 'suggest a solution'.

Off topic, but again, nothing unusual. Some Amphoe's want the translation legalising.

It can be completed by post.

Translation and legalisation EMS return, very cheaply.

18 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If everything is in order then you remove the 'discretion' part.

The laws remained unchanged for the last 40 years.

You could have filed a TM30, it's not solely your wife's responsibility.

Registration of aliens in a House book has nothing to do with Immigration.

Off topic, but again, nothing unusual. Some Amphoe's want the translation legalising.

It can be completed by post.

Translation and legalisation EMS return, very cheaply.

1 - That isn't what the website says. There are no ifs and buts. It says at the discretion of the IO, period.

2 - As far as I am aware, the law says that the house owner has to file the TM30 (ie so not me)

3 - Some want this, some want that is no way to run official business, anywhere at any time. That is very clearly open to abuse, as I have found over and over again.

4 - The British Embassy wanted me to appear in person with my passport to have the translation stamped.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

1 - That isn't what the website says. There are no ifs and buts. It says at the discretion of the IO, period.

2 - As far as I am aware, the law says that the house owner has to file the TM30 (ie so not me)

3 - Some want this, some want that is no way to run official business, anywhere at any time. That is very clearly open to abuse, as I have found over and over again.

4 - The British Embassy wanted me to appear in person with my passport to have the translation stamped.

1. That is just what is written on a embassy website that is very general in nature. What it really means is that you have to meet the requirements for the extension application.

2. Not correct and that has been covered in many other topics.

3. You will find that many of the basic requirements do not vary from office to office. Until you really do it you will never know.

I am on my 12th extension based upon marriage and have not had problems getting them.

4. The UK embassy would not certify the translation. They would only do a certified copy of it.

The certification has to be done by the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA and they allow them to be submitted by mail.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Which website?

Police orders which deal with the criteria and conditions for issuance of extensions continually states the word 'consideration', not 'discretion'.

Your application will be 'considered' subject to meeting the criteria

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The law states, the House Master, owner, or possessor.

If you reside in the premisies you are regarded as a possessor.

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thailand's Provinces are like autonomous regions, each having it's own administration, who dictate procedures for varying processes. Confusing yes, but that's how it is, which is why there is so much controversy and disagreements between expats on TVF, because we can be subject to different rules depending on which Province or District we live in.

Personally, I've found your open to abuse and corruption if you don't know or want to follow the correct procedure ….. then a 'short cut' (corruption) is sometimes offered as a solution.

33 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The British Embassy can only take and certify a copy of your Passport.

Translations have to be 'legalised' by the MFA …. if that's what they requested.

Not unusual for an Amphoe to give the incorrect advice.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

See the end of post #26 above. The government's own website states 'discretion'.

That's from an Embassy website, who know very little about Immigrations internal procedures.

Immigrations Police Orders use the term 'consideration'.

That's not to say they can't use their discretion in certain circumstances, but they consider applications based on the evidence you provide to meet the criteria.

Immigration officials often give incorrect information about Embassies as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 10:15 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks, but this is ambiguous. It mentions relationship to a family in Thailand, but that family might or might not be Thai. It doesn't specify. Two, it mentions hotel bookings and invitation letters, which does not apply to, say, an alien male married to a Thai female and appears to be aimed at a casual visitor. And three, it asks for confirmation of your residence outside of Thailand - in this case the UK or Ireland.

Therefore, it doesn't appear to be relevant to an alien living in Thailand and married to a Thai. Clear as mud, as usual.

There is also this, which doesn't mention single or multi entry visas if married to a Thai, nor the financial requirements. https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/Family

Can't get non o visas anymore from Thai consulate in NZ.

You have to apply to the royal Thai Embassy in Wellington.

My friend just applied and he had his marriage certificate in Thai and English and they won't issue him a non o as they require a copy of her passport.

He owns the house in Thailand he built it for his wife, she is a school teacher, he gets free medical being married to her she has never travelled so no passport he got a tourist visa in the mean time and will apply in Thailand-- it's nuts.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Can't get non o visas anymore from Thai consulate in NZ.

You have to apply to the royal Thai Embassy in Wellington.

My friend just applied and he had his marriage certificate in Thai and English and they won't issue him a non o as they require a copy of her passport.

He owns the house in Thailand he built it for his wife, she is a school teacher, he gets free medical being married to her she has never travelled so no passport he got a tourist visa in the mean time and will apply in Thailand-- it's nuts.

Sounds as if they are making up their own rules, which as we all know isn't unusual. The requirement for a non-o visa based on marriage does not require a copy of her passport as, obviously, most Thais do not have one. What the real rules say (don't laugh) is they need a copy of the house book and a copy of her ID card, both signed by her.

Edited by Bangkok Barry