Praise for Chiangmai Immigration office

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think he got the certificates of residency he requested. I assume he would of stated he did not get them if he hadn't.

Would be unusual if they were given straight away. That would be taking potential income from other entities.

But on the subject of praise.

New tenants in our house, took the required documents to the 3rd floor for TM30 report for 3 persons.

Arrived at 9.05, ticket 39, waited at least 3 minutes.Walked out at 9.13 with 3 receipts of notification to be stapled in to passports.

Pleasant young lady deserving a well done.

Seems to be working well there now apart from the big boss sign off time on extensions etc .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thailand said:

No way could I cope with what they have to.

Crikey, looks straightforward enough. Same as doing any Government office job in another country, except here you get to wear a uniform and can be forgiven for not knowing your job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Crikey, looks straightforward enough. Same as doing any Government office job in another country, except here you get to wear a uniform and can be forgiven for not knowing your job.

I was referring to dicks being dicks on a daily basis. I guess there are also a few at the offices in the Pattaya area?

You can apply only between 8.00 and 10.00 am on the second floor for your residency certificate.......once the paperwork is processed they will issue you with a ticket to collect your certificate in 14 days time after 4.00 pm . There is no fee for this, so you just need to get it 2 weeks before...or, if you need it in a hurry they will charge you 1000 baht and issue it immediately or 500 baht and pick up next day.....that’s how it was working 3 weeks ago.

Its a good service......seems fair to me.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Timofe said:

I did not get my Certificates of Residency.  I got a receipt that will entitle me to them when presented at counter four at 4 PM October 22nd. 

Phew. I thought you applied and got it on same day.

I used to go 3 times to immigration. First time to get the queue number to submit application. Second time to submit the actual documents and third time to get the CR.

I used to wait 3 weeks to 1 month for my CR and if I want another copy, they say I need to apply another time.

22 is about 3 weeks so things haven't changed much except you only need to go two times.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Walk in there anytime and there is a dick or two being dicks and they have to deal with this on a daily basis on top of doing their basis boring jobs.

No way could I cope with what they have to.

I've been going there for the past ten years almost and have hardly ever had a problem. Even when I'm cranky and short on patience, the staff there are gracious and helpful. It helps to dress neatly and speak at least a bit of Thai, out of respect.

• Like 2

Yes, I think they’re doing a hard job very well.  As mentioned above, I believe what makes their task especially difficult is encountering ignorant aliens who criticize and complain, but don’t leave.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Last time I was in the Ubon office there was a woman being a dick and shouting at the officers because they wanted a piece of paper she didn't have, and she appeared to be very agitated and aggressive. They obviously get that a lot because they didn't seem in the least bit bit bothered!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gimo said:

RE "Arrogant farangs who don't bother to learn any Thai " ....... There's no excuse for arrogance , but inevitably you'll find some arrogant people of all nationalities , including Thais , BUT in any government office that deals with foreigners around the world , English is THE language of communication and said offices should be staffed with people who can speak it . Learning a second or third language is usually done in younger years , when it's easier to do so , and let's face it speaking Thai is almost useless outside of Thailand . 

So when a Thai goes to a government office in the UK, USA or Australia, he should be able to find at least one person who can speak Thai?

I've found most government officials here can speak some English. See how you get on expressing that point of view to Chinese officials.

• Confused 1

If one has taken the time to prepare the correct support documents for what you want at Chiang Mai Immigration, things go smoothly. I read a book while they go through their various mantras.

The trouble starts when you have farangs who have documents missing, then expect the officials to fix it for them.

IMHO CM Immigration is now much better organised than in the days at Promenada.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

So when a Thai goes to a government office in the UK, USA or Australia, he should be able to find at least one person who can speak Thai?

I've found most government officials here can speak some English. See how you get on expressing that point of view to Chinese officials.

No a Thai going to a Govt office in another country shouldn't expect to have a Thai speaker to talk to , though it's quite possible in big city embassies and consulates . She may well be required to speak English because English is the language of communication around the world . That includes countries that don't have English as their first language .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

They should if the UK, USA or Australia had Thai as a second language, and everyone had to learn it in school for 10 years, then at University for a further 4 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gimo said:

No a Thai going to a Govt office in another country shouldn't expect to have a Thai speaker to talk to , though it's quite possible in big city embassies and consulates . She may well be required to speak English because English is the language of communication around the world . That includes countries that don't have English as their first language .

While I agree English is a very commonly used language, expecting officials in every country to speak it fluently is a bit of a stretch.