Is it possible to have 2 ISPs?

phungo

I play online games and need to have reliable and fast internet connections.

I recently signed up with True, and the guy at the store said that the highest package I can get at my building is 100mbs dl / 50mps ul. I hesitated but signed up.

I now want to have a second ISP. Is it possible to also sign up with 3BB so that when True is acting slow or unreliable, I can just connect my computer wifi over to 3BB? Like is it possible to have 2 separate sets of modems and wifis from 2 ISP setup in my condo at the same time? 1 in living room and 1 in my office?

You can have 2 connections to the internet from different providers.  You can also buy a router that will accept two connections to the internet and it will route your traffic over both or either connection.  Alternatively you can keep the two connections separate with separate routers and separate lan cable or wifi networks.

• Like 1

It's called bonded connection, google 'bonded broadband router' or 'bonded broadband' - something like that.

You will normally need a special router to handle it but I know it can be done on the computer in software with 2 network cards when using Linux so maybe it can also be done in software on windows.

thanks for the info guys!

how do the 2 isps actually go about setting up the connection? True took the living room coaxial/cable outlet from the wall. How will 3BB connect/setup their modem? Can they use the other coaxial outlet from the bedroom? what if we dont have another coaxial outlet?

3BB will drill a hole through the wall and feed their own cable through the hole.

I have a fiber connection and it drops down from the pylon outside and comes into the room near to the router.

They're not going to use any old cable that's been lying around for years.

We have 2 by default.

We switched to AIS fibre to get the smart TV AIS Play box and very happy with that.

We called the previous provider to cancel but we still get the signal and we can use it. This was discovered when a friend who comes regularly to our house logged in to check his e-mail as he had done several times before.

My son said we have changed to AIS but the friend was already using the old connection (the box etc., has never been removed by the old service).

Now 6 months after changing old service still works but we have never had a bill after notifying them to cancel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3BB will drill a hole through the wall and feed their own cable through the hole.

I have a fiber connection and it drops down from the pylon outside and comes into the room near to the router.

They're not going to use any old cable that's been lying around for years.
that would be great to get new cables, unfortunately i live on the 29th floor of a condo building built in 2015. probably not possible for 3BB to do this.

Every condo is different but:

- there should be a pair of telephone wires that any ISP could use to provide DSL service, and

- there will be coaxial TV cable that MIGHT be accessible by an ISP that provides cable internet service. 

Managing two ISP's is inherently clumsy. Dual WAN routers are not simple to administer. Using Wi-Fi isn't great for gamers. Etc.

OP, most condo blocks you are restricted to the ISP that has run cables into the building. Most blocks you dont have a choice because only one has run cables in.

There is also a chance that any broad internet outage would effect all ISPs

• Like 1

These two outlets and all other identical outlets are for TV and almost certainly are connected to a single feed back to a utility closet, probably one the same floor, usually near a stairwell.

If any are in use for TV then the rest are not available for Internet.

If you're not satisfied with the speed, perhaps having a singapore vpn could help your internet speed.

VDSL adds extra 16 ms ping so I don't recommend it even if you can get one as a second internet line to your 29th floor condo (that's sky high!)

If you're not satisfied with the speed, perhaps having a singapore vpn could help your internet speed.
VDSL adds extra 16 ms ping so I don't recommend it even if you can get one as a second internet line to your 29th floor condo (that's sky high!)
i understand what VPNs are, but don't understand Singapore vpn. How does a Singapore VPN increase speed? How do I get one?

i understand what VPNs are, but don't understand Singapore vpn. How does a Singapore VPN increase speed? How do I get one?
The thinking here is that while Thailand's international Internet speeds seem to be low, the connectivity to Singapore is relatively good.
The idea is that you connect through there and thus take advantage of Singapore's better international speeds.
I'll leave it to someone else with direct experience to provide specific real world information.
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phungo said:
On 10/5/2019 at 7:36 AM, muratremix said:

You can get a 5 USD/month digitalocean cloud droplet (VPS)

learn how to use ssh a bit and use this installer to have your own private Openvpn

https://github.com/angristan/openvpn-install

there are tutorials how to do it. 

You may or you may not notice the speed change in online gaming. Ping is more important in gaming than throughtput. 

11 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

The thinking here is that while Thailand's international Internet speeds seem to be low, the connectivity to Singapore is relatively good.
The idea is that you connect through there and thus take advantage of Singapore's better international speeds.
I'll leave it to someone else with direct experience to provide specific real world information.

Lets say for the purposes of demonstration that you're attempting to download a large file (few GB in size) from a server in Los Angeles.

A direct download from Thailand will use the ISPs international routes and the speed can vary a lot depending on where the file is located. Thailand is not known for great routes to Europe and the US.

The route to Singapore however is good and Singapore has excellent connectivity to the US.....

So by using a VPN in Singapore you are taking the fast route to Singapore and then on to the US instead of going directly from Thailand to the US which can be but isn't always much slower.

It's a way of forcing a more efficient route even though you're going the long way around it can be faster because of the greater speed between Thailand and Singapore.

Maybe think about it as driving on a national highway / motorway vs small rural roads. The rural roads might be less distance and more direct to the destination but you get there faster on the biggger road despite the extra miles...

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1