Property Perfect sees condo market as ‘worst in a decade’

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't know about elsewhere, but monthly rentals in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are tanking. Oversupply of condos in both cities.

Bangkok too.

The only things easy to rent out are higher priced stuff.

Special locations, houses with pools, beachfront villas, penthouses, nice townhouses etc. - property people are willing to pay for. 

If you have one of these chickenboxs that are available in the hundreds per condo - no chance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Bangkok too.

Special locations, houses with pools, beachfront villas, penthouses, nice townhouses etc. - property people are willing to pay for. 

If you have one of these chickenboxs that are available in the hundreds per condo - no chance. 

Funny, Wife  rented out a  room yesterday for 10k a  month she bought it for 1.65million about 7% return, shoeboxes  actually  doing quite  well  now, anything  over 15k is harder, renter was Chinese who has business here owns a restaurant she brought  along her Thai translator who she employs whilst  she is in Thailand. Nice  looking girl the Chinese one. Shoebox  close to the BTS is not too hard to still rent out shoebox =30-40m2

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Well the Russian condo buying ship sailed years ago....

The Thais have been burning the midnight oil thinking up new way to make farangs feel unwelcome for a few years now....

I never heard of the Indians EVER being condo buyers......

The Chinese are now getting bad exchange rates like the rest of us and their appetite for condos in Thailand seems to be drying up.....

Which only leaves Thais to support the ENTIRE condo market....

Spot on mate.  And add to that the complete mess of Bangkok traffic.  The BTS horribly over crowded to the point that they removed seats, standing room only every time I rode on it this last July and August at all times and on each line I was on.   It used be an enjoyable way to get around the city, sit down, relax, look out the window.  A few times people waiting to get on could not get on.  The cars were packed.  Next step will be boarding "pushers" like they have in Japan who push people onto the cars.

• Like 1

And the glut means less and less money coming into a condo which means maintenance and upkeep is guaranteed to drop off or stop completely.  That never helps a building.   Oh and what does Bangkok do with all the waste and sewage?  I know the situation in Pattaya, but given the orders of magnitude more people in Bangkok, did any of the waste and sewer and water treatment keep pace with the condo development?  Methinks not

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

A few times people waiting to get on could not get on

Its  more than a few now, I dont live there but recently hopped on ( or  not) at Phrakanong at 6 in the evening, had to let about4-5 trains  pass as  rammed  full, disgraceful need 6 cars  not  4  you  fools

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't know about elsewhere, but monthly rentals in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are tanking. Oversupply of condos in both cities.

Just looked at my old condo in Chiangmai.  I paid more when it was new(ish) in 2012 (after negotiating a discount) than an exact duplicate unit is asking for now.

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Bangkok too.

I just bounced out of a unit here in Bangkok that I was in for 18 months and ended up in a nicer unit in the same building for the same price.

4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Who will buy all the grossly overpriced, poorly designed, flip-flop built ugly concrete boxes? 

I don't know who'll buy them, not me that's for sure.

Looking at many highrise condo's in BKK i'm so amazed about the thin legs some of them are standing on...sure it will be something special concrete but hey why so thin? The legs of the skytrain are much much thicker....and that's not 40-50 stories high.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I don't know who'll buy them, not me that's for sure.

Looking at many highrise condo's in BKK i'm so amazed about the thin legs some of them are standing on...sure it will be something special concrete but hey why so thin? The legs of the skytrain are much much thicker....and that's not 40-50 stories high.

I’m amazed at the “thin legs” also.  And the minimal amount of rebar used (compared to the highrise condos I watched them build in Seattle when I lived there) also makes me a bit leery.

• Like 2

As any condo owner knows the knock on effect of this type of thing is even worse.

Without owners these condos quickly fall into disrepair as without owners maintenance fees

no maintenance will be done.

Developer will not pay this for long

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wisperone said:
1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Next step will be boarding "pushers" like they have in Japan who push people onto the cars

How much that job pay?

I think some pervs would volunteer for the job and might not even wear gloves!  Looks like it pays in Japan about $11 USD/hour or 330 baht/hour from a few sites I searched on.

" The salary is not bad at 1000 yen to 1200 yen per hour with two hour shift every day from 7 am to 9 am ". 

3 hours ago, Chazar said:

Funny, Wife  rented out a  room yesterday for 10k a  month she bought it for 1.65million about 7% return, shoeboxes  actually  doing quite  well  now, anything  over 15k is harder, renter was Chinese who has business here owns a restaurant she brought  along her Thai translator who she employs whilst  she is in Thailand. Nice  looking girl the Chinese one. Shoebox  close to the BTS is not too hard to still rent out shoebox =30-40m2

...how long ago did she buy?  Tha is in

15k is one break-point where there is a pretty good market below, but the risk will be on the smallest units first as rents drop on the 40-50m2 size range.  At some point, many landlords prefer to keep the place vacant rather than adding depreciation. 

Edited by tjo o tjim

sluggish market or not, the government happily uses the higher past prices for quote base for the name change and VAT,

even though the real actual buying price is 10-15% lower than the data the land office uses.

thanks the the 'creative accounting' the property values are growing, up and up from, if only in the official statistics.

my recently bought condo was taxed at 1.45 mil, even though the real price was only 1.27 mil....what a joke.

• Like 1

2 years ago i did a 4 month lease at the base up town while i did a re fit. It was mostly empty. My 5th floor was empty. The worst built building ever.

once the unit  next to me rented and it was so  bad. I could hear this couple every word. Lucky for me it was a 3 night rental and then they moved on,

The building is worthless if you are a normal type human. The sound in the halls is a eco chamber all 7 floors are open inside type entry. So you hear floor 1 door close like its youre door

I was stuck in the elevator for 20 minutes once. After that i used the stairs. 

This is a nice looking building from outside. But i would never rent a condo because of this again.

Paid 16,000 a month. Way pricey too compared to my 2 bedroom villa i rented for 12,000 a month in a nice guiet erea.

Condo is not the way to go.

• Like 1

I have no idea what is happening because the prices are way too high. I think people who own condos should get 1 year visa and easily renewed. why not change the retirement visa to age 0. what is wrong with that. they report every 90days and renew yearly. hummm. sounds too farang friendly

• Like 2

You have not yet reached the critical point, continue to build houses, villas and apartments for a clientele that is becoming increasingly critical of a more expensive and dangerous Thailand!
If then you see the games that the central bank continues to do, well the bill is easy, the result; absolutely negative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Well the Russian condo buying ship sailed years ago....

The Thais have been burning the midnight oil thinking up new way to make farangs feel unwelcome for a few years now....

I never heard of the Indians EVER being condo buyers......

The Chinese are now getting bad exchange rates like the rest of us and their appetite for condos in Thailand seems to be drying up.....

Which only leaves Thais to support the ENTIRE condo market....

Well, maybe not totally drying up.  I sold 2 condos I owned to Chinese buyers this year.

• Confused 1

Sansiri has delivered abhorrently bad quality units, especially at Baan Maikhao where MAYBE the buildings will be rectified five years after being transferred to owners.   If someone is vocal about it?  They will see that customer in criminal court accused of defamation.  

with customer service like that is there any wonder about their abysmal stock performance?

It is all fluff and no substance.   Beautiful design and absolute (proven by engineering reports) <deleted> being delivered. 

that’s my experience. Others might differ.  

1E6967B5-5E8B-4358-88F2-20B431C36764.jpeg

AADFE390-A262-4B3E-8277-FC245A4391CB.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1