Robert Downey Jr. on Martin Scorsese’s criticism of Marvel movies: “I appreciate his opinion”

snoop1130

Robert Downey Jr. on Martin Scorsese’s criticism of Marvel movies: “I appreciate his opinion”

By Sofiana Ramli

100819-robert-downey-jr-martin-scorsese@2000x1270-1220x775.jpg

Robert Downey Jr., Martin Scorsese Credit: Shutterstock

Robert Downey Jr. is the latest Marvel star to weigh in on Martin Scorsese’s recent criticism of the superhero franchise.

During his appearance on The Howard Stern Show, Downey – who plays Iron Man in the Avengers series – addressed Scorsese’s remarks, saying he “appreciates” the filmmaker’s opinion. 

“I’ll tell you the truth, I didn’t expect [the Marvel Cinematic Universe] to become what it became and it is this very large, multi-headed Hydra at this point,” Downey told Stern at the start of the clip, which was released on YouTube early October 7. “I’ve always had other interests, and according to Scorsese, it’s not cinema so I have to take a look at that, you know?”

Stern then asked the Iron Man actor to share his thoughts on Scorsese, who recently likened Marvel movies to “theme parks”. “It’s his opinion. I mean, well, it plays in theatres,” Downey replied. 

Full Story: https://www.nme.com/news/film/robert-downey-jr-responds-martin-scorsese-criticism-marvel-movies-2554890

Many people will make comment on the upside of both because it is pc but I, as always, prefer the B side.  The world must progress and change in order to move forward; we all know this.  The question here is what direction does any of this take us in.  Nowhere is what I see.

Cinema today, much like music, are little more than recycled distractions for the masses. Superficial escapism from the meaninglessness of most peoples lives. If you dig a little deeper, you'll find there are actually plenty of original movies being made, you just might not find them in your local mall cineplex..... just like you won't find the good music in the top 40 charts.

11 minutes ago, Katipo said:

Cinema today, much like music, are little more than recycled distractions for the masses. Superficial escapism from the meaninglessness of most peoples lives. If you dig a little deeper, you'll find there are actually plenty of original movies being made, you just might not find them in your local mall cineplex..... just like you won't find the good music in the top 40 charts.

I don't think I've watched any decent movies since Fight Club and American Beauty.

(Maybe add Inglorious Bastards to that list)

Downey is a decant enough actor, but he's only ever been in rubbish movies.

(Air America was about the best he was ever in)

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think I've watched any decent movies since Fight Club and American Beauty.

(Maybe add Inglorious Bastards to that list)

Downey is a decant enough actor, but he's only ever been in rubbish movies.

(Air America was about the best he was ever in)

One of my favourites Dude ????

• Haha 1

Most movies based on comic books, are inane garbage, aimed at the 7-15 year old market. Men jumping over buildings, and flying through walls. Even Hollywood movies these days with a realistic theme, have guys jumping off seven story buildings, rolling on the ground, and running away from the scene. Of getting shot with several bullets, and then walking away, or surviving. How am I supposed to watch this drivel, when Hollywood considers us to be such morons, that we will accept any inane content they throw our way? 

I am thankful for independent content, the cable productions, great TV, and foreign movies. Hollywood has completely lost its way. They are a culturally bankrupt industry. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Most movies based on comic books, are inane garbage, aimed at the 7-15 year old market. Men jumping over buildings, and flying through walls. Even Hollywood movies these days with a realistic theme, have guys jumping off seven story buildings, rolling on the ground, and running away from the scene. Of getting shot with several bullets, and then walking away, or surviving. How am I supposed to watch this drivel, when Hollywood considers us to be such morons, that we will accept any inane content they throw our way? 

I am thankful for independent content, the cable productions, great TV, and foreign movies. Hollywood has completely lost its way. They are a culturally bankrupt industry. 

My personal peeve on 'Hollywood physics' is small women beating up large men.

They don't have the weight or bone density to deliver blows that would down(ey) most men. 

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My personal peeve on 'Hollywood physics' is small women beating up large men.

They don't have the weight or bone density to deliver blows that would down(ey) most men. 

Also, what about the extreme lack of attractive women in Hollywood films? You see them on cable TV. And foreign films. But Hollywood seems to have been cowed into submission. They do not want to feature anyone who might intimidate the large sized, and relatively unattractive American female population. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Also, what about the extreme lack of attractive women in Hollywood films? You see them on cable TV. And foreign films. But Hollywood seems to have been cowed into submission. They do not want to feature anyone who might intimidate the large sized, and relatively unattractive American female population. 

what?

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yep, you're right, many of the recent female stars are too big/plain for me to consider hiring.

Hollywood is full of butt kissers at every level. Gotta watch what you say and maybe one day a job might come along from Martin or whoever so gotta play your ego driven cards right ! So bl..dy boring and pretentious a lot.

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I agree with Scorsese. Generally, I think they are a joke over computerized fake <deleted>.

One Capt. America movie was OK.

But, they have made billions so obviously people like them.

I have lived in countries where what I watched was dictated by the overwatch of government, so the choice many have is a wonderful thing. In this case, my money is better spent elsewhere.

Edited by Benmart
Àdd sentence

It's not just teenagers going for the comic book movies, there's plenty guys of (physically) adult age who are into this stuff, not just watching the movies but the trivia, back stories, "fan fiction," merchandise, etc.  Then there's guys like this who are pushing 50 and still dress and behave like they are 15 and are all about comics.  BTW he had a twitter battle with Bill Maher recently when Maher showed a lack of appreciation for Stan Lee.

image.thumb.png.50a4fe0ed6694b02abcc33a724f0796b.png

Check out "comic con" these things are incredibly popular.

I like Star Wars, well, the first 6 flicks anyway, but not interested in all these spin-offs.  I admit I did see the one about young Han Solo and enjoyed it. 

Ol' Marty was on about this in the 1980s.  With the success of "ET" he said the only movies producers wanted to hear about was stuff like it.

As for actress's looks these days I recently saw the biopic about Joan Jett and the Runaways, I think it was the first time I saw such a movie where the real-life person was actually better looking (IMO) than the actress (Kristin Stewart).