Benefits of Elite for over 50s

I do 5 - 6 mths a year in Thailand, and until recently I felt there was a good chance of being able go to on that way until I get to 50 and become eligible for a retirement visa. Plan B has been to stump up for an elite visa.

The 5-year elite visa effectively lasts for 6 years and at 43 I am only 7 years away from 50.

Recently there have been a few posters in a situation pretty similar to mine saying they have been refused entry, or had a very near miss. The situation is only getting more difficult, so I'm thinking there's a high chance of having to pay the 500k for the elite at some point in the next 7 years.

Imagine it happened when I was 48. That would be fairly irritating because I'd be paying for 6 years, but maybe only getting the benefit for 2. I would have been able to get a retirement visa for the other 4 anyway.

That is making me wonder if there are any advantages in having an elite visa once you're over 50. If not it might be better to go for it now.

BTS I am not mad about Bangkok so probably wouldn't get the 90 day reporting service, and I think the airport transfer service only applies to Bangkok as well. Other than those things, does the elite have any benefits over and above an ordinary SETV / METV?

• Like 1

Have a look for the recent thread, you do not get a 6th year for free !

Thailand Elite have been advising members that their permission to stay expires at the same time as the 5 year Elite Membership and everything is voided on that date.

Thailand Elite MAY also be advising this date to immigration !

OP, I'm in your situation, albeit 4 years down the line.

I retired at 45, and have spent 60 - 70% of my time in Thailand in the last 2 years (Now I'm 47), using 4 tourist visa's obtained from my home country and 1 border run, all extended.

Until recently, I hadn't given it a second thought, but reading all the stories here, it would seem that flying in and out using Suvarnabhumi could well see me refused. I'll be buggered if I'm going to spend 500,000 baht on an elite visa, when I can get a retirement visa in 2-3 years. However, if I was 2-3 years younger, I think I'd probably stump up for it.

What I'm going to be doing, is spend a small bit of time in a neighbouring country, and then enter through a safe entry point. This approach will work fine for now, and should see me through till 50, but who knows, this time next year all the land borders could well have the same policy re:frequent visitors on tourist visa's, as the Bangkok airports.

If you value your time more than money then it might be worth it. If it's a big % of your net worth then not so much. I can foresee many retiree switching to elite to save on insurance. Then they will require insurance for elite too. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

You get the transfer service in phuket as well, but I wouldn’t buy elite for that. I have had an elite visa for the past 5 years, and it’s been fabulous due to how easy it makes everything. If you can afford it then go for it. 

With regards to the 5 v 6 year question, my elite visa expires in December 2019. I last entered in sep 2019 at bkk and I have been admitted until sep 2020 so unless I leave I have been given the extra year. No one has contacted me to say any different. 

Hope that helps

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 1:43 AM, The Fat Controller said:

Have a look for the recent thread, you do not get a 6th year for free !

Thailand Elite have been advising members that their permission to stay expires at the same time as the 5 year Elite Membership and everything is voided on that date.

Thailand Elite MAY also be advising this date to immigration !

I am in a similar situation where my Thai Elite visa is expiring soon at a date which is 1 year before my 50th birthday. I am looking for that 6th year stamp to carry me to my 50th year at which point I can switch to a retirement visa. So far Thai Elite has not said anything to discourage me from the 6th year concept, but if they do I will update the forum. 

On 10/10/2019 at 9:59 AM, Tayaout said:

If you value your time more than money then it might be worth it. If it's a big % of your net worth then not so much. I can foresee many retiree switching to elite to save on insurance. Then they will require insurance for elite too. 

Why would anyone switch to Elite from an O-A visa to save the money for the insurance? Then it's smarter to start all over with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O visa with 1 year extensions for 1900 baht/year.

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why would anyone switch to Elite from an O-A visa to save the money for the insurance? Then it's smarter to start all over with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O visa with 1 year extensions for 1900 baht/year.

Because some can't get insured. Some are quoted more than elite. And extension are likely next. 

For years I have stayed in Thailand for 3 months twice a year. No problem.

This is a good option if the retirement options get difficult but i thought you could only go to local asian consulates a few times for a tourist visa then they say no more?

Probably easy if you fly back home and get one

56 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is a good option if the retirement options get difficult but i thought you could only go to local asian consulates a few times for a tourist visa then they say no more?

The Non-Immigrant O visa based on retirement with 1 year extensions is no problem what so ever. 

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, Max69xl said:
The Non-Immigrant O visa based on retirement with 1 year extensions is no problem what so ever. 

Also depends if they start mandatory thai health insurance

You are just like other people at TVF. You worry about things that hasn't even occurred. Just relax. We don't have a crystal ball. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Maybe because insurance for 65+ starts at 100K a year (rough estimate) and Elite Visa is only 50K a year. 

My opinion is that anyone that lives here for any length if time without insurance is playing Russia roulette with their health 

Edited by MadMuhammad

Be aware  that Thai elite can change their rules at any time they are at the whim of  immigration, they may add or remove ANYTHING they  like, they may say Health insurance becomes a requirement which is OUT of their control.

So you got your visa but then they want health insurance for your dodgy heart which no  policy will cover??? then what?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I do fly home. But maybe more importantly there are months between trips.

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

So you got your visa but then they want health insurance for your dodgy heart which no  policy will cover??? then what?

You get a policy with exclusions and I would not expect that to be considered by immigration, they aren't doctors nor have access to your medical records. (Actually defeats the purpose doesn't it!)

On 10/10/2019 at 9:59 AM, Tayaout said:

In my contingency planning (in case They subsequently require purchase of a local policy for people on extensions of stay under non-O) I too have had this concern.

The only advantage to Elite other than not having to deal with the paperwork etc of annual extensions of stay that I have been able to identify is fast track through airport immigration.  It is very poorly designed with no meaningful benefits other than ability to stay in Thailand. Even for people living in Bangkok there is no real 90 day reporting service as I would define it...as people have to travel in person to  Elite office to drop off passport and again to pick it up.

However, bear in mind in  your case that when you are eligible for retirement extension you may be required to purchase an expensive, low value local health insurance policy regardless of whether you have other insurance. (WILL be for sure if you enter on an O-A. Might be able to avoid that by entering on another visa and changing it to an O, or managing to get an O to begin with from a place that still issues them,  but I would not count on that loophole persisting). And this will cost you almost as much as Elite does per year. As much or more if you opt for a meaningful level of cover or grow older.

• Thanks 1

You get a policy with exclusions and I would not expect that to be considered by immigration, they aren't doctors nor have access to your medical records. (Actually defeats the purpose doesn't it!)
The issue of exclusions was too complicated for immigration to consider when this new policy was devised. i.e. most expats will have the medical condition most likely excluded anyway

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The only advantage to Elite other than not having to deal with the paperwork etc of annual extensions of stay that I have been able to identify is fast track through airport immigration.  It is very poorly designed with no meaningful benefits other than ability to stay in Thailand. Even for people living in Bangkok there is no real 90 day reporting service as I would define it...as people have to travel in person to  Elite office to drop off passport and again to pick it up.

However, bear in mind in  your case that when you are eligible for retirement extension you may be required to purchase an expensive, low value local health insurance policy regardless of whether you have other insurance. (WILL be for sure if you enter on an O-A. Might be able to avoid that by entering on another visa and changing it to an O, or managing to get an O to begin with from a place that still issues them,  but I would not count on that loophole persisting). And this will cost you almost as much as Elite does per year. As much or more if you opt for a meaningful level of cover or grow older.

Hmm, another way of saying that is that the Elite may double in cost after you're committed. I'll pass and try and stay under the (nebulous) tourist visa threshold.

Hmm, another way of saying that is that the Elite may double in cost after you're committed. I'll pass and try and stay under the (nebulous) tourist visa threshold.
There is no insurance requirement for Elite visa at this time and if one is added later it would oresumably apply only to Elite visas issued after thst date.

But I understand your concern.

Whether via Elite or multiple tourist visas do make sure you have adequate protection in case of health emergency while in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/11/2019 at 11:06 AM, descc71 said:

I am in a similar situation where my Thai Elite visa is expiring soon at a date which is 1 year before my 50th birthday. I am looking for that 6th year stamp to carry me to my 50th year at which point I can switch to a retirement visa. So far Thai Elite has not said anything to discourage me from the 6th year concept, but if they do I will update the forum. 

You'll receive a notice from Thailand Elite within 1 -3 months of your PE membership expiration date explicitly stating you do not get a 6th year and any stay beyond your membership expiration date puts you into immediate overstay REGARDLESS of your existing permission to stay.

Edited by lupin
speeeeeling

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

In my contingency planning (in case They subsequently require purchase of a local policy for people on extensions of stay under non-O) I too have had this concern.

the 90 day reporting by TE can be done with copies of passport pages mailed in to them and/or passport mailed to them. At least that is how I have done it over the past 6 years. They DO now require a screenshot or copy of a valid TM30 submission though.