Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

webfact

16 hours ago, Teee said:

Why moan about this.

If you dont or cant afford the Insurance then why should the Thai Govt pay for your ills.

Simple really.

I have well over a million pounds per year of 'cover everything' insurance and I pay a reasonable price for this.

Thailand nor any other country for that matter will ever pay a single Baht for any treatment I receive, because I plan for all outcomes well in advance...

I want to see Thais being made to do the same when they're in MY country....clear?

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ukrules said:

I have well over a million pounds per year of 'cover everything' insurance and I pay a reasonable price for this.

Thailand nor any other country for that matter will ever pay a single Baht for any treatment I receive, because I plan for all outcomes well in advance...

Would like to know what health insurance company you are with that covers pre-existing conditions? 

Or do you not have any pre-existing conditions?  

Once you do, there is no "cover everything" AFAIK. 

Stay healthy and dont ever get your blood pressure checked when it is out of the normal range ????

Regards

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

Would like to know what health insurance company you are with that covers pre-existing conditions? 

Or do you not have any pre-existing conditions?  

Once you do, there is no "cover everything" AFAIK. 

Stay healthy and dont ever get your blood pressure checked when it is out of the normal range ????

Regards

Considering I planned ahead and took ths out at an early age long ago there are no pre existing conditions

I agree that for people from the UK especially this is a problem as most of them don't take private insurance before moving abroad in retirement as it's generally not needed, I on the other hand did take the private insurance nearly 20 years ago and stuck with it because I was aware of the issue.

22 hours ago, xerostar said:

Compare that paltry sum with the real figures of what foreigners bring to Thailand every year.

I for one have brought many millions of baht into Thai economy over the last 10 years.

I expect most other foreigner retirees would have done the same !

I see this health insurance demand as xenophobic nonsense ! 

i agree with you, me also brought many millions here over the years however for every person like you and i think there are a lot of pot less bums here living on a shoe string there the ones they want to get rid of. and i dont blame Thailand for that. the UK should take a leaf out of Thailand book.

14 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Considering I planned ahead and took ths out at an early age long ago there are no pre existing conditions

I agree that for people from the UK especially this is a problem as most of them don't take private insurance before moving abroad in retirement as it's generally not needed, I on the other hand did take the private insurance nearly 20 years ago and stuck with it because I was aware of the issue.

Are you saying you have not seen a Doctor in 20 years, so pre-existing will not apply?

Doesn't matter how many years you have been with the same private insurance AFAIK

if you have seen a doctor and your check-up/blood work shows hypertension, high cholesterol, hyperglycemia, elevated liver enzymes, elevated BMI, etc... your health insurance will not cover you for diseases related to those conditions after that.  

32 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Are you saying you have not seen a Doctor in 20 years, so pre-existing will not apply?

Pre-existing conditions are only checked when you apply for a new health plan.

I have enrolled in my current Corporate plan, now underwritten by Cigna, in 1991, it gives me a full unlimited in/outpatient, dental and optical coverage worldwide. Now with some excrementhead devising this utterly stupid and corrupt scheme I will have to pay for another useless expensive insurance, which is nothing more than corruption in disguise.

I have enrolled in my current Corporate plan, now underwritten by Cigna, in 1991, it gives me a full unlimited in/outpatient, dental and optical coverage worldwide. Now with some excrementhead devising this utterly stupid and corrupt scheme I will have to pay for another useless expensive insurance, which is nothing more than corruption in disguise.
Why not get a different visa or get a Retirement extension? The compulsory insurance only applies to people getting OA or OX visas in their home country.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why not get a different visa or get a Retirement extension? The compulsory insurance only applies to people getting OA or OX visas in their home country.

Keep dreaming.  You are the dean of wishful thinking on this topic.

Posted this elsewhere but seems to fit here as well:

"The minister’s comments suggested that the insurance requirement for non-immigrant visas was being extended now to include all foreigners over 50 whereas previously it was understood from briefings by immigration bureau officials that the new provision only applied to retirees in Thailand.

Many foreigners over 50 in Thailand were left confused and perplexed on Thursday after a Reuters report quoted the Thai Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha as suggesting that the insurance requirement approved by the Thai cabinet this year and later confirmed by immigration bureau officials as referring to retirement visas for the over 50s, is now being widened to cover all foreigners over 50 with other forms of non-immigrant visas."

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/10/10/foreigners-insurance-visa-requirements-over-50s-thai-deputy-public-health-minister-sathit-pitutecha/

•  
Except that's not what the Police Order says.

4 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Yes, pre-existing only checked when first applying.  Yet you are still responsible to make insurance company aware of any changes to your health AFAIK

Because a claim can be turned down if you failed to disclose an illness / medical diagnosis / condition and then later file a claim from what I have read. 

Say in 2016 you had your bloodwork done, found you had high cholesterol and started taking statins.  Then in 2018 Doctor says you need arthroscopic surgery, a stent implanted, or a bypass.  Insurance will find out and refuse payment as you will be negligent in providing that information to your insurance provider when they renewed your policy in 2017 and 2018. 

I made a mental note that everyone over the age of 50 is risky according to a Government Minister. I fail to see the difference between a Thai or someone from another country, someone from "abroad" may well have had better treatment and be in better shape than a Thai. As far as Government hospitals are concerned I have no intention of using them, so, all the Government has to do is put the cash strapped and ripped off Government hospitals off limits to foreigners, send them to a private hospital and the their assumed problem is solved.

5 minutes ago, nong38 said:

I made a mental note that everyone over the age of 50 is risky according to a Government Minister. I fail to see the difference between a Thai or someone from another country, someone from "abroad" may well have had better treatment and be in better shape than a Thai. As far as Government hospitals are concerned I have no intention of using them, so, all the Government has to do is put the cash strapped and ripped off Government hospitals off limits to foreigners, send them to a private hospital and the their assumed problem is solved.

There are good government hospitals,but not everywhere. If you go for an insurance covering only 400k inpatient, then you can't be to sick if you're staying in a private hospital in Pattaya, Phuket or BKK. 

On 10/10/2019 at 3:37 AM, Soikhaonoiken said:

Some long stay ex pats will have difficulty in obtaining medical insurance or if they can it will be at a very high price... 

Most of those coming to Thailand on a visa willprobably have a kind of health insurance in their own country.

If they hear they need to buy another Thai insurance with a lot of restrictions and a rather high price, I guess most will ask the way to another embassy......

Another decision that was not thought well about?

8 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Most of those coming to Thailand on a visa will probably have a kind of health insurance in their own country.

If they hear they need to buy another Thai insurance with a lot of restrictions and a rather high price, I guess most will ask the way to another embassy......

Another decision that was not thought well about?

Not from the USA until you are 65, and then you have to pay for part B, which costs 50,000 baht equivalent per year.  Health insurance very cheap here compared to USA, the insurance and pharmaceutical companies in the USA are raping the population for mega-profits. 

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

I want to see Thais being made to do the same when they're in MY country....clear?

Totally agree with you. But not resticted to just Thais.

As prev posted anyone outside the EU that applies for a long stay Visa...has to pay up front a Medical Insurance fee...around £300 to 400 per year in advance...so for a 2 and half year Visa about £750 to 1000 this is added to the Visa fee 1300 to 1700 approx.

This enables a person needing treatment to go and use NHS.

Certain medical conditions are not applicable thou.

Like most holiday destinations outside the EU they have a problem with tourists...and i include Thailand Retirees as they are classed as Long Term Tourists...certain people dont have Health Insurance.

The Thais are just putting in place what UK and Europe does and I believe Australia US NZ Canada...to ensure if you want to live in those countries you have enough Health Cover if you fall ill.

Seems sensible to me.

I do feel sorry for the over 55s living in Thailand...i met a few...who liked to enjoy all the offers a Thai or Fillipino gives for a price but they all told me they had not got Health Insurance because then they would not be able to afford the delights that is on offer.

Not suggesting all forum members are like this but....

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

There are good government hospitals,but not everywhere. If you go for an insurance covering only 400k inpatient, then you can't be to sick if you're staying in a private hospital in Pattaya, Phuket or BKK. 

Plan B, really sick ,  return to your home country , someone there may want you back home ??

You know it makes sense , less exspensive to die.

RIP,  with a smile , less money for the thais ...

1 hour ago, elliss said:

Plan B, really sick ,  return to your home country , someone there may want you back home ??

You know it makes sense , less exspensive to die.

RIP,  with a smile , less money for the thais ...

Well...if you have spent your time blowing your money on booze and fancy ladies,irritating your family beyond redemption  (I am am being civil) and proclaiming to all and sundry that you are living the dream in paradise whilst  stridently dissing your home country at every opportunity, then your prospects of a "happy return" to your native shores are decidedly slim.

They are getting thinner by the day.

Hard to believe all the changes for expats and others. Just in the last year. It has gone from one of the cheapest places to retire, to the most expensive.

It is dirt cheap to live there. But the government has let the big companies ruin it IMHO.  Thankfully many other countries want expats to spend their money in there country.  

Just a crying shame.

8 minutes ago, garyk said:

Hard to believe all the changes for expats and others. Just in the last year. It has gone from one of the cheapest places to retire, to the most expensive.

It is dirt cheap to live there. But the government has let the big companies ruin it IMHO.  Thankfully many other countries want expats to spend their money in there country.  

Just a crying shame.

All the changes? Just one change about the financial requirements for the >800k in the bank method,

and now one for retirees on O-A visas. I wouldn't call that many changes. 

On 10/9/2019 at 10:37 PM, Soikhaonoiken said:

Some long stay ex pats will have difficulty in obtaining medical insurance or if they can it will be at a very high price... 

My understanding is that this insurance requirement does not apply to so-called "ex pats" or expats.

7 minutes ago, garyk said:

Just a crying shame.

Having lived in Bkk for overall 1 and half years on and off...apart from renting a small room in a condo 35sqm @10000bht my gfs place (she is not thai) and transport its more expensive than the UK to live....not unless you live on street food...and then the chances of using your Health Insurance is quite high ????

I used to like the Sunday Roast in Molly Malones (Now deceased) but more expensive than a Toby Carvery in UK...same as Robin Hood and Royal Oak.

Please please no more comments that Thailand is a cheap place to live.

I love Thailand and will be back just before Xmas. I love Cambodia and if i was to live in Asia for long term thats the place to live.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:31 AM, tjinks said:

Anytime I've ever had a visit to Bumrungrad for any reason I've always had to pay up front. I have no experience with other hospitals so can't comment on their methods of being compensated.

The Bum hospital is not a government hospital.

I knew this was coming, a little surprised how fast it was implemented. Insurance company’s are the richest companies in the world. The banks are getting away with highway robbery, now the insurance company’s will get in on it BIG TIME. The amount of money this will generate will be astronomical. Wow!
Anyone thinking this has anything to do with the hospitals loosing money to foreigners is in Lala land. This is just another lobbying coup.  

Right, but Thais and all the foreign apologists believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

This new insurance requirement, as it currently stands (Police Order), does not apply to you.

22 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

The big problem here is that many of us have got family commitments, especially after living here for many years. Has the government taken this into consideration.

They should of grandfathered you guys in. Of course that is not good business for the banks and insurance companies. 

53 minutes ago, Teee said:

Having lived in Bkk for overall 1 and half years on and off...apart from renting a small room in a condo 35sqm @10000bht my gfs place (she is not thai) and transport its more expensive than the UK to live....not unless you live on street food...and then the chances of using your Health Insurance is quite high ????

I used to like the Sunday Roast in Molly Malones (Now deceased) but more expensive than a Toby Carvery in UK...same as Robin Hood and Royal Oak.

Please please no more comments that Thailand is a cheap place to live.

I love Thailand and will be back just before Xmas. I love Cambodia and if i was to live in Asia for long term thats the place to live.

If you came to Thailand to stay in BKK and eat Sunday roast every week, and don't eat Thai food,then I understand you think it's expensive. 

Archived