European tourists decline against strong baht, competition

webfact

The baht is not strong, rather the Western banks are printing free money and making a stack at the expense of their citizens who fall for the free stuff politicies and devaluing the currencies.

Edited by Jack P
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

The real decline is probably a bit more than 1,5%....From what I see with my own eyes at the airport and in BKK, I'd say 50% 

I agree. Just back from Kho Samet, Chinese outnumbered EU 9 to 1.

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

The real decline is probably a bit more than 1,5%....From what I see with my own eyes at the airport and in BKK, I'd say 50% 

Will someone tell me what the euro/baht exchange is please.  Every time I check, and the latest was this week, it is always 33.4.  Well that is the same as it was when I left earlier this year.  I will be back end of November, but I still have time to cancel if it is as bad as you all say.  Thanks in advance. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, eddie61 said:

There are things the tourist authorities could do to stimulate the individual tourism sector.

Relaxing the laws that prevent local craft brewers from offering their products for sale, as an example.

Globally, there is a trend to interesting and varied craft beers being offered in bars. In Thailand they are all highly taxed and expensive imports, due to the laws that effectively create a tasteless duopoly in a key sector of the tourism take.

I suspect that if you follow the money, you will figure out why!

What actually is craft beer?

4 hours ago, Denim said:

The policy of not allowing people to make frequent visits is probably not going to do much for tourist arrivals.

The problem seems to be that they don't actually want tourists   only their money.

Sadly they come together

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

Will someone tell me what the euro/baht exchange is please.  Every time I check, and the latest was this week, it is always 33.4.  Well that is the same as it was when I left earlier this year.  I will be back end of November, but I still have time to cancel if it is as bad as you all say.  Thanks in advance. 

Well ma'am, today Bangkok banks live rate on EUR cash was a whopping 32.82 as posted at their counter ...

Superrich (one of the best rates) on cash:  33.35

https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en/exchange#rate-section

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/View-Rates/Foreign-Exchange-Rates#

You're welcome.

Edited by jollyhangmon

4 hours ago, zydeco said:

Yes, I'm sure that the tourist market turns on the availability of craft beer. 

Craft beer is more expensive....regular draught in Vietnam is .50 a glass even cheaper. Craft beer is $1-3 even $4 per glass. My Thai Lady managed to talk me into 1 month in Patong which i will be extremely cheap! The following 4 months after that Bali Laos Cambodia Vietnam including the Formula 1 will get all my money this season. 

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

A pint of Hoegaarden in Phuket town 290 Baht how much back in Europe? 

... about a month ago +/- EUR 2.30 (about 76THB) for half liter in Amsterdams supermarkets ...

L.O.L. ... 

Edited by jollyhangmon

5 hours ago, Snuller21 said:

Year on year in Pattaya, it seems more like 50%, will even say up to 65%. But I am NOT TAT, who come with it. I am just living here for 12 years and have seen decline during the last 9 years. Year on year.

Last 3 years on phuket 9 years no way 

We still do good 

Government problem 

Police problem 

Bath not so much a problem 

Freedom is a key word y and t delivered that

like them or not

who like politicians anyway except from Steve 100 who like but don't understand or unable too explaine 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Herbe said:

I have lived here on retirement since 2006, married to a Thai for 36 years.

My family visit us from the UK every year each January.

They have just informed me that they will not be coming this

coming January, as it is cost prohibitive, given the current and future

bad exchange rates. There is always 6 to 8 people in the group.

Nothing compared to China India numbers, why would you  even dream that your family would have an impact? even 20 thousand people in your shoes would equate to nothing

• Confused 6

5 hours ago, legend49 said:

Or higher. Downtown CNX you can count those tourists on your hands no need for a calculator. But its all good news I am sure they will find more hospital countries to visit.

Yup, was down on Niemannheiman last Sat. with the wife on our rare downtown Sat date nite and it was at least 30:1 Asian vs white guys/gals.  It was somewhat vibrant near Maya (their rooftop entertainment is pretty good for the youngn's) but as we got down some of the side streets is was pretty dead.