buying a car - what do they need to give me

ryanhull

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes but whilst stuff is being sorted she drives it, you baht bus it..

She can sell it at any time without you knowing, she can borrow money on it without you knowing........????.......I do have a handful of stories.....????

Yes, always a risk if someone is an incredibly poor judge of character.... for those in solid marriages, there is no risk.

I wonder if the handful of stories you have reference 'women of questionable repute' or of significantly different 'socio-economic-edcuational' status to the foreign husband... 

Of course, every issue is multifaceted and must be judged on its individual merit - generalisations are bound to be flawed - that said: of all the 'mixed' marriages I know in Thailand (friends etc) only one has fallen apart (all friends exampled above are married to similarly aged, well educated women who are financially independent and from families who are also financially independent - pretty much as any equivalent relationship would be in their home countries) - it seems these 'equal' relationships present far less risk (to zero risk) of the Wife running off and selling, borrowing against or gambling away the car...

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, always a risk if someone is an incredibly poor judge of character.... for those in solid marriages, there is no risk.

I wonder if the handful of stories you have reference 'women of questionable repute' or of significantly different 'socio-economic-edcuational' status to the foreign husband... 

Of course, every issue is multifaceted and must be judged on its individual merit - generalisations are bound to be flawed - that said: of all the 'mixed' marriages I know in Thailand (friends etc) only one has fallen apart (all friends exampled above are married to similarly aged, well educated women who are financially independent and from families who are also financially independent - pretty much as any equivalent relationship would be in their home countries) - it seems these 'equal' relationships present far less risk (to zero risk) of the Wife running off and selling, borrowing against or gambling away the car...

Well, the latest story I have is a very nice lady, her farang hubby is a complete a__hole, I know.

Anyhoooo, things came to a head, and she had had enough. He wanted her to sell the Fortuner and give him half, she said nope...Couple of weeks later they were divorced, she is still driving the Fortuner....

PS. My ex UK wife of 20+ years, was the love of my life, we were two peas in a pod, then suddenly....BANG....Was all over.....To cut a long story short, she was threatened with imprisonment for telling lies in court about our finances and other stuff. I was gobsmacked at even the thought she would be that low..

So please don't tell me about "100% sound" marriages, hormones can be treacherous at a certain time of life...

2 hours ago, transam said:

Well, the latest story I have is a very nice lady, her farang hubby is a complete a__hole, I know.

Anyhoooo, things came to a head, and she had had enough. He wanted her to sell the Fortuner and give him half, she said nope...Couple of weeks later they were divorced, she is still driving the Fortuner....

PS. My ex UK wife of 20+ years, was the love of my life, we were two peas in a pod, then suddenly....BANG....Was all over.....To cut a long story short, she was threatened with imprisonment for telling lies in court about our finances and other stuff. I was gobsmacked at even the thought she would be that low..

So please don't tell me about "100% sound" marriages, hormones can be treacherous at a certain time of life...

Fair enough...  by then, just buy another car... if things 'go down the pan' the value of our car or getting a new one for myself will be the least of my concerns. 

In the UK 42% of Marriages end in divorces - I'm quite happy to take those odds with my Wife (6 out of 10 chance of continued happiness). Perhaps those odds don't transfer as well to a 'mixed marriage' or perhaps a well matched pairing of any nationality face far better odds... Yes I know its a $h!t show, but being frightened of what 'could' happen isn't exactly setting out the stall for success.

If the Car was mine and mine alone I'd put it in my name - but as its 'our car' I'm happy to have it in my Wife's name. Cars are a depreciating asset and not exactly 'high value' when considering other things such as the house etc...

12 hours ago, ryanhull said:

p.s sorry for all the questions, how much does it cost to transfer a car? thnx

The cost is under a couple of thousand. It will take at least a week, maybe a bit more to re-register and 2 visits to the main LTO that is nearest you, they will have to contact Bangkok to ensure the title is clear, on the second visit you will get new plates,  it certainly can be in your name though it's a little more difficult, make absolutely sure that you either get the current insurance (it's commonly given in a private sale, we got about 3 months with ours) and that you are covered or that you get your own insurance before driving it.

The certificate of residence/work permit etc is not needed to buy the car, just to register it.

To avoid any problems take your wife and the seller to the DLT in Bangkok and do the transfer to your wife's name there (just their id cards, blue book and car required)

Like this you can be sure that everything is in order and you won't run into problems later.

When you are back home you can still transfer it from your wife in your name if that's important to you.

17 minutes ago, jackdd said:

To avoid any problems take your wife and the seller to the DLT in Bangkok and do the transfer to your wife's name there (just their id cards, blue book and car required)

Like this you can be sure that everything is in order and you won't run into problems later.

When you are back home you can still transfer it from your wife in your name if that's important to you.

Are you sure that that will work? As the blue (house) book will not be a Bangkok address so the number plates will have to change.

13 hours ago, ryanhull said:

I appreciate what you are saying on that, but providing the seller gives me the following:

1. Blue Book (check its in date and has the same code as it on the car)

2. Car Transfer Document Signed (left open for the new buyer - my wife)

3. Signed Copy of the sellers ID (In date)

I am then good to drive it back no worries right? in the knowledge I can transfer it to my wife later in the week here in Maha Sarakham? Thanks

2 signed copies of everything plus 2 signed copies of power of attorney so you can change the registration without the seller present.

44 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Are you sure that that will work? As the blue (house) book will not be a Bangkok address so the number plates will have to change.

Yes, a Thai can register a vehicle in any province. If you keep it in your wife's name you can also just let it registered in Bangkok, no need to change the license plates.

44 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It will be fine, also thai's don't need to change plates to their province. The only delay will be Bangkok forwarding the amended book to you. 

4 hours ago, transam said:

Nothing in life is guaranteed no matter how wise you are. You just have to make sure you don't go all in and leave the back door open so to speak

14 hours ago, amykat said:

I mean, people like to buy cars within the same province where they live because of some kind of paperwork hassle.  I don’t know exactly how difficult it really is or not, but at times I wanted to go to Bangkok too, for more choices, and I was often told about that.  People made it sound like it was impossible.  But they might have been bull<deleted>ting me to some extent?

basically you can transfer ownership only at the province where the car is registered. If you want to do it out of that province, you first have to go through the process of changing the number plates to the new province and only then transfer ownership (must be done by the current owner). So in the case of the op, you should take your wife to BKK with you, or take all relevant documents of her + a power of attorney so you can transfer ownership to her in BKK. Later on if you want you can change the vehicle registration and plates to your own province

2 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

2 signed copies of everything plus 2 signed copies of power of attorney so you can change the registration without the seller present.

We only had 1 set of signed documents supplied with the car. We also didn't have a power of attorney signed by the seller. 

The old reg was BKK the new one Udon, all done by SWMBO at the main Udon LTO 

AFIR from the seller it was signed house book copy, transfer paper, signed  ID card copy. We also had the insurance though I don't remember if that was needed.

16 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

We only had 1 set of signed documents supplied with the car. We also didn't have a power of attorney signed by the seller. 

The old reg was BKK the new one Udon, all done by SWMBO at the main Udon LTO 

AFIR from the seller it was signed house book copy, transfer paper, signed  ID card copy. We also had the insurance though I don't remember if that was needed.

Ok no worries. When I did my changeover @ Chon Buri I had to have a POA as well but that was Thai to Alien, maybe stricter requirements. Insurance wasn’t needed for my transfer. 

Thanks for clarifying 

7 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Don’t know how insurance works as far as if it’s insured now are 

you covered for ? Many days before obtaining your own insurance....

In general in Thailand the vehicle is covered not the driver, there may be some policy's where there are restrictions but that is not very common (age may be one). So you are covered for the life of the current policy.

One point that is virtually universal is that the driver must have a valid licence, and foreign drivers must have a Thai license if they have been in Thailand more than 90 days to be insured. 

So while the BIB may be happy to accept you foreign licence (with or without an IDP) the insurance company will probably not accept it.

You 2 should get a loom!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I understand you want to buy a second hand car.
- once the car becomes 7y old you will have to bring it to the yearly car inspection
- if you put the car on your wife’s name consider it as a gift, no need to worry about possible complications when the relation ends.
- buy a second hand car from an official dealer, most have a section with certified second hand cars with warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 10/12/2019 at 2:48 AM, ryanhull said:

Thanks for the reply, regarding the work permit, google states:

'You can legally own a car in Thailand as a foreigner but you need to have a Non-Immigrant Visa and a Work Permit or Proof of Address Document (the later can be obtained from immigration Officials but you would need to be renting a house or apartment)'

Am I reading that wrong, maybe just proof of address is OK?

Regarding transferring to my wife, I do fully get what your hinting at heh, but no worries on that we have owned stuff together in the past and I have also transferred her much larger amounts of cash for her then to give me (was cheaper that way) but to be blunt I 100% trust her in that regard but I appreciate the warning/hint.

Thing is, I wouldn't be able to transfer it in BKK right as I am registered as living in Maha Sarakham?

But that aside, lets say I wanted to do the buy it open to transfer to my wife back here, am I correct on the 3 pointers I need to get from the seller? 

Also, you mention technical control center, do you know where this is and how much this costs? I am pretty nifty with cars (or at-least I think I am), stuff like lights, tires, oil, idling temp I can test myself, is an interesting idea if it isn't too much bother though,

Really appreciate your reply but I want to head off Monday morning so wont have time to get proof of address etc now (its the weekend) and really its probably just easier to put it in my wife's name, I have had like I say full trust in her in that regard, really more interested in if im correct in what I need to ensure I have before I drive off back home,

Thanks again

having a new car ......one can not drive from one province to another..which is stupid... its like a person buying one in the north of England but one can not drive over the border into Scotland....like the pace called Berwick on Tweed....

having a new car ......one can not drive from one province to another..which is stupid... its like a person buying one in the north of England but one can not drive over the border into Scotland....like the pace called Berwick on Tweed....

Yes you can, you get given a book to fill in and carry with you to show the police if stopped.

Complete waste of time

3 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Yes you can, you get given a book to fill in and carry with you to show the police if stopped.

Complete waste of time

That I knew and as I say completely stupid system....one should be able to drive where one wants...I nit understand why the guy is going to Bkk to buy....why NOT buy one in Issan??

Archived