Brexit hangs in the balance as EU doubts a deal this week

webfact

40 minutes ago, david555 said:

it done over & out for the moment ….. next extension or nothing , I don't see any solution in this short few weeks day's

can not be done technically as 27 country heads have to be informed if ANY changes could be made to "sweeten" the DUP ...

"It is worth remembering that the DUP is the party that says no. “No surrender” was its slogan in its heyday when it was led by its bombastic founder, the now deceased Ian Paisley.

It is also worth remembering that it did not support the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement in 1998. And we know what happened there."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/oct/17/eu-leaders-gather-for-summit-as-boris-johnson-scrambles-to-get-backing-for-brexit-deal-politics-live

The DUP are like my wee boy..

"Go take a shower."

"No."

"Go take a shower right now!"

"No!!"

"Go take a shower right now. ...I have ice cream."

"OK!"

Edited by NanLaew

24 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So if the DUP and ERG reject Boris' deal, surely Brexit is finally over with. An indefinite extension and a non Tory government (scuppered by Farage!) and we can just revoke and remain.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The ~10 hardline ERG eurosceptics will be negated by the ~10 Labour rebels. However...

EU Referendum 101

By constituency: 406 Leave, 242 remain.
By voting area: 263 Leave, 119 remain.
By constituent country - England: 53% leave, 46.6% remain.
By constituent country - N Ireland: 44.2% leave, 55.8% remain.
By constituent country - Scotland: 38% leave, 62% remain.
By constituent country - Wales:52.5% leave, 47.5 remain.
By party seat- Labour: 148 leave, 84 remain.
By party seat - Tory: 247 leave, 80 remain.
By party seat - Lib Dem: 2 leave, 7 remain.  
By MP: 248 Leave, 400 Remain.

Nope... Unless you're Northern Irish, Scottish, Lib Dem or an MP, I still can't see any real right to revoke anything.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

"It is worth remembering that the DUP is the party that says no. “No surrender” was its slogan in its heyday when it was led by its bombastic founder, the now deceased Ian Paisley.

It is also worth remembering that it did not support the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement in 1998. And we know what happened there."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/oct/17/eu-leaders-gather-for-summit-as-boris-johnson-scrambles-to-get-backing-for-brexit-deal-politics-live

The DUP are like my wee boy..

"Go take a shower."

"No."

"Go take a shower right now!"

"No!!"

"Go take a shower right now. ...I have ice cream."

"OK!"

I think the DUP shall be the one responsible to break the good Friday agreements ….. by ultimate be the only ones responsible to have a kind of a boarder on the Island .

45 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Still spouting the tired old cliches about Brexiteers? No wonder Remain lost the Referendum with such a poor understanding of the Leave demographic.

You have it in one, Brexiteers are overwhelmingly older by demographic than Remainers - established in many, many surveys - it is widely accepted. Whether they are also more tired I wouldn't care to judge. I am older though, and more tired than I was when I was younger!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Still spouting the tired old cliches about Brexiteers? No wonder Remain lost the Referendum with such a poor understanding of the Leave demographic.

It's amazing that Remainers still haven't learnt that insulting people doesn't make them change their minds. Should you be fortunate enough to get another referendum, no doubt you'll be in a state of shock when Leave wins again. Maybe you should get out and talk to some Brexiteers face to face (no doubt you'd drop the insults when you're not hiding behind a keyboard) and find their real reasons for leaving. You might be surprised.

Hence the thin skinned response then?

I'll sum up my position in Brexit. Its stupid. Was I in the UK i would have voted against it. I've put up lots of detailed arguments on this board on why I think so.

But it is happening, and it will likely benefit me personally as an Australian. Doesn't mean that I don't think it is stupid, but i'm a 'make your own bed' type of fellow.

The harder the brexit the better I reckon, if only for the reason one tends to watch slow motion car crashes and then slows down to rubber neck as you drive by. 

15 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

You have it in one, Brexiteers are overwhelmingly older by demographic than Remainers - established in many, many surveys - it is widely accepted. Whether they are also more tired I wouldn't care to judge. I am older though, and more tired than I was when I was younger!

Well you're no spring chicken and frequently moaning about the effect of the exchange rate so you don't exactly fit the theory.  

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well you're no spring chicken and frequently moaning about the effect of the exchange rate so you don't exactly fit the theory.  

I'm older too - you might have noticed I too tend to support remain. 

Just because more levers are older it doesn't mean every older person is a leaver !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bannork said:

The Brexiteers don't like to mention that our attraction as a market will decrease from well over 500 million people to 67 million. Little England literally.

What you didn't mention is that the over 500 million people are shared between 27 other countries. Some get a larger share than others and some get less.

I think that of those 27 other countries perhaps 6 or 7 are net payers in and the remainder get subsidised.

8 hours ago, Basil B said:

Here we go again blame the EU, They are in Brussels waiting for Boris.

Boris spent most of yesterday trying to come up with a deal that the ERG and DUP will accept, this is a guy who really believes Farther Christmases sledge is pulled by Unicorns and all those Tory MP's he F'ed Off the other week are going to vote for his deal when in reality the whole of the Tory party is falling apart like a clowns car at the circus.

So you are knocking Boris for trying to do the job he was elected to do.

If he does (nothing) you knock him. I actually meant to say something instead of nothing. Stupid boy Pike.

If he does nothing you knock him.

Edited by billd766
edited for bad spelling after I had posted, again.
  • Like 2

LIVE Updated 3m ago

Brexit: Boris Johnson says he has secured 'great new deal' with EU – live news

Jean-Claude Juncker also confirms that deal has been agreed: follow the day’s Brexit events as they happen

Maybe Bojo is throwing them under his red bus.....55555 lol

2019-10-17_164554.png

Edited by david555

https://news.sky.com/story/live-brexit-deal-hangs-in-the-balance-as-pm-heads-to-eu-summit-11837415

Breaking

LIVE: 'We've got great new deal' - Boris Johnson declares a Brexit agreement in place

Latest updates as Boris Johnson travels to Brussels, after agreeing a Brexit deal with the EU.