Headwinds hit Thailand tourism

webfact

So these currencies are crucial to the the tourist industry;

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

The inbound tourism sector is especially feeling the heat from a robust Thai baht, which has risen against major currencies like the British pound, US dollar and Chinese yuan this year,

But these nationalities are the ones that come;

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

China still represents 58.1 per cent of total international arrivals to Thailand, followed by Russia, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and India.”

So it would seem a good marketing ploy to target those who are not using those currencies that have taken a hit from the strong Baht.  .  .  . . Oh wait a second that might be a very limited target market.

• Haha 2

While I do think that tourism will be down this high season, it's just starting now, so let's see how things play out. I don't think the boat sinking, one isolated instance, has scared off the Chinese. There may be other factors to that. The global economy certainly is a factor affecting all countries. I have noticed there seem to be more Indians in Hua Hin than in the past, families and of course the wolfpacks. The situation with the Pound Sterling, and the Aussie Dollar certainly aren't helping things. In Hua Hin we get the regular tourists, but we also get a lot of snowbirds that come for the entire winter, especially Scandinavians. Many of that group own houses or condos here as part-time residents, so I think they'll still show up as they have some roots here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Is this real said:

It's not the Baht.  Or, the cruise ship sinking. Or, blah, blah, blah.

It's because Thailand is no longer offers attractions wanted by tourists.

Until it understands this, and actually decides to do something about it, tourism will continue to decline as it has since 2015.

Guess you don't see the tourists climbing big buddha on the mountain every day again....myself i've been there thousands of times already and it's awesome.

28 minutes ago, nickstav said:

While I do think that tourism will be down this high season, it's just starting now, so let's see how things play out. I don't think the boat sinking, one isolated instance, has scared off the Chinese. There may be other factors to that. The global economy certainly is a factor affecting all countries. I have noticed there seem to be more Indians in Hua Hin than in the past, families and of course the wolfpacks. The situation with the Pound Sterling, and the Aussie Dollar certainly aren't helping things. In Hua Hin we get the regular tourists, but we also get a lot of snowbirds that come for the entire winter, especially Scandinavians. Many of that group own houses or condos here as part-time residents, so I think they'll still show up as they have some roots here.

They must be hammering the marketing in India.

My friend told me Pattaya is heaving with Injuns

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

This sounds like the complaint of a green traveller, a westerner inexperienced in the ways of Asia or Africa. Definitely someone who should just stay in safe western family resorts. Me? I was hitch hiking across Afghanistan, Pakistan and India when I was twenty. Thailand is Heavenly Luxury and the easiest place in the world to travel in compared the rough end of the hippy trail....at least it used to be but all the spoilt,  entitled,  square tourist types are spoiling Thailand. Such bores.

...then enjoy it...

9 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

Have these 'bean counters' ever thought about devaluing the baht??? 

Supply and demand dictates the value of a currency. Governments can do some policy etc to minimally influence a currency but ultimately its the market that decides.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1