How much cash you can carry into USA?..

DJ54

We’ve see. The question many times about how much cash can you carry into USA. Currently $10,000 USD

after that you should claim it. Sharing an article I read today and it reads like more to do with just catryong

cash. Make sure to declare if the dollar amount warrants. Helps avoid being grilled....

BDC13F9E-E6B3-4999-914D-3A3C8E04CFD1.jpeg

With the draconian civil (not criminal) asset forfeiture laws in the US it is not safe to carry any cash.  The police/customs can take anything you have and say that they suspect that you got the money selling drugs or some other BS story.  They don't have to prove any criminal activity and in most cases you are not charged and you never see the money or property again. It is pure theft using the power of the state.  Policing for profit is what it is called and the organization that takes the money generally gets to keep it.  The federal regulations indicate that you must declare over $10,000 but any amount can be taken from you.  Best that you wire transfer any money that you need to a bank in the US or if you don't have one use a debit card or send it to a family member.   

I believe the Miami-Dade county has it own substantially lower limits for confiscation.  I personally know a lady that was carrying $8000 from St. Thomas USVI to Miami to deposit the money she made varnishing yachts and the limit was $10,000 for customs but only $2000 for Miami-Dade and they took it.  She only got a few hundred back and that took a long time.    

On 10/25/2019 at 12:08 AM, Jingthing said:

I noticed that item about the flight attendants as well. They were carrying well under the limit. I don't understand why they got in trouble for not reporting under the limit. Maybe flight attendants are under different rules. Does anyone know?

People traveling together cannot divide amounts of $10,000 or more amongst themselves to circumvent the $10,000 or more reporting regulation. It does seem like a bit of reach though, they didn't have that much money between the four of them, and how US Customs determined that they were violating the law is a good question. Perhaps the flight attendants were already under suspicion. They did have much more than $10,000 and my guess is that US Customs considers them traveling together, and should have declared the money.

As I understand it, you can bring any amount of cash into the U.S. that you want, but if it's over ten thousand dollars you are required to declare it. Also, be advised that if the police were to stop you for some reason or another while you were carrying such a large amount of cash on your person you might have an extremely difficult time getting it back -------- the U.S. Constitution be damned. ☹️

This is a Thai forum.So it would be how much baht can you carry into the U.S. So you really need to know how much baht you can take out of thailand.

Most of you are saying $10,000. That is how many u.s. dollars you can take out of the U.S. That is not the question.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:08 PM, Jingthing said:

I noticed that item about the flight attendants as well. They were carrying well under the limit. I don't understand why they got in trouble for not reporting under the limit. Maybe flight attendants are under different rules. Does anyone know?

There must be different rules for flight attendants that can potentially make a trip a day, so if they were allowed  $10,000 undeclared per trip they could potentially bring over 3,000,000 undeclared  per year.

" This $10,000 reporting requirement applies to individual travelers, or travelers who are in a family or other group. For example, if a family of five is flying together, and they have $11,000 between them, they are obligated to report these amounts. A". 

It sure seems a stretch though to consider these people a "group".  I can't believe a Court will find them guilty.  Now it seems likely that they all can not account for the cash and show bank withdrawal slips, money transfers from their banks, etc.  I have to believe that was determined while they were being interrogated and could not come up with a good accounting.  But charging them with money laundering is separate from just not declaring cash.  I doubt they could be convicted of intent to money laundering in court.  They might get guilty on the undisclosed cash group thingy.

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

There must be different rules for flight attendants that can potentially make a trip a day, so if they were allowed  $10,000 undeclared per trip they could potentially bring over 3,000,000 undeclared  per year.

The authorities are just considering them to be a "group" and any "group" is limited to $10,000.  Seems weak, but they got charged.

7 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

The authorities are just considering them to be a "group" and any "group" is limited to $10,000.  Seems weak, but they got charged.

I confess I don't know 

But even if it was not a group, if allowed $10,000 per trip per individual  it seems to me it would be a huge loophole that illegal activity could exploit.  I am sure there is more to this story than reported here.

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I confess I don't know 

But even if it was not a group, if allowed $10,000 per trip per individual  it seems to me it would be a huge loophole that illegal activity could exploit.  I am sure there is more to this story than reported here.

there are no legal laws special to flight attendants.  $10,000 per person per trip.  Now if one keeps doing that, and makes several trips each day or often, one is likely going to get questioned.  And the USA agencies have been very anal since the Patriot Act was passed about such things.  Even many local police have made the news just stopping people carrying around a lot of cash.  The courts have allowed them to grab the money and accuse you.  You have the choice of giving up the cash or fighting tooth and nail in court and possibly in a city or state far from where you live. And often, there are good documented cases you can find online where the city/state made the person agree to NOT sue and then they would get their money back.  All the while spending time and money fighting the charges.  And one doesn't even have to be charged.  The locals just hold the cash and say waiting for DA to decide and stuff like that.

5 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

there are no legal laws special to flight attendants.  $10,000 per person per trip.  Now if one keeps doing that, and makes several trips each day or often, one is likely going to get questioned.  And the USA agencies have been very anal since the Patriot Act was passed about such things.  Even many local police have made the news just stopping people carrying around a lot of cash.  The courts have allowed them to grab the money and accuse you.  You have the choice of giving up the cash or fighting tooth and nail in court and possibly in a city or state far from where you live. And often, there are good documented cases you can find online where the city/state made the person agree to NOT sue and then they would get their money back.  All the while spending time and money fighting the charges.  And one doesn't even have to be charged.  The locals just hold the cash and say waiting for DA to decide and stuff like that.

As I said I don't know, so you may very well be right that there are no restrictions for flight attendants. 

But if they are not allowed to report it , how would anyone know? As I said, it seems to me that there is more to this story. 

This is an additional piece of information I found in the Washington Post article 

"It’s unclear whether Pasten-Cuzmar had any money on her, but authorities said they did find out that she had plotted with the other three flight attendants to deliver the money to a “known person,” according to the Miami Herald.

The four told law enforcement that they were supposed to get a 1 percent cut of the money that was found on them, according to the Miami Herald

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2019/10/23/four-flight-attendants-arrested-smuggling-thousands-dollars-known-person-police-say/

From the ABC 7

"The agent alerted other agents, who found other attendants from the same fight carrying large amounts of money, the report said; none had a license to transport the cash. "

So apparently they needed a licence to transport money,

https://kvia.com/news/us-world/2019/10/23/four-flight-attendants-were-arrested-in-miamis-airport-after-bringing-in-thousands-in-cash-police-say/

There is no such thing or license.  They are using nutty words.  Now there may be some large scale international business rules or trade agreements that I don't know of.   But as individuals, they  only would have needed this 6059B form, assuming they could have then survived a few questions about the source and destination but it sounds like they could not and did not.

" The procedures for declaring large amounts of money on a plane are very short and simple to comply with. Go to the Customs and Border Patrol agent on duty at the airport and request customs declaration form 6059B. "

That is the standard customs declaration form you fill out when returning to the USA.

I think there is more to the story. Also the male first said he had $200 and then changed it to $9,000. Big whoops!! What did he have to hide?

Before I retired, I traveled internationally 2 or 3 times a month for years. Never had any problems with Customs (or immigration). I also traveled extensively domestically for decades, both for business and pleasure. Never had a problems with police. Must of these horror stories have more to them than reported.

Right, there is more to the story. And that "more" is that the government has basically declared cash illegal. If you do not believe me try getting pulled over in a car with a few hundred bucks on you. You will practically be indicted. 

Carrying cash is not a crime. This is just how the governments do their shakedowns, and then all the sheople get behind them and say things like "I never have that much cash on me when i go to work". 

Archived