Tourist numbers well on track statistics show

webfact

6 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Just for information, Thailand currently ranks number 9 in terms of international tourists:

The World's Most Visited Countries
  • United States - 80 million visitors.
  • China - 63 million visitors. ...
  • Italy - 62 million visitors. ...
  • Turkey - 46 million visitors. ...
  • Mexico - 41 million visitors. ...
  • Germany - 39 million visitors. ...
  • Thailand - 38 million visitors. ...
  • United Kingdom - 36 million visitors. ..

(From Wikipedia)

what about France ? and for what period is that ? 

Edited by Elzear
uodate
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, elviajero said:

All the entry stats are available on the Immigration website. They come directly from the entries entered into the database every time someone passes through passport control. TAT use these numbers.

Thanks for that info.

I just spent 3 days walking around in Bangkok (definitely not a walking friendly city) and no doubt the numbers of Westerners are down, while the number of Asians are the majority of visitors.  At the hotel I was staying- about mid range price-  I only saw 2 other Westerners at breakfast and the  rest of the room filled with Asians.  Interestingly enough, there were several Thai families apparently from other provinces as the car park had many out of Bangkok plates.  The hotel did  appear busier than 3 months ago when I was there.

The hotel was definitely not fully booked  and the traffic on Sukhumvit which is usually horrid, actually moved quite well.  Taxi drivers actually turned on the meters without me asking them to which means they need the business.

Wife has a few friendss in the tourist business in Samui- indicating a depression in tourism.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Just for information, Thailand currently ranks number 9 in terms of international tourists:

The World's Most Visited Countries
  • United States - 80 million visitors.
  • China - 63 million visitors. ...
  • Italy - 62 million visitors. ...
  • Turkey - 46 million visitors. ...
  • Mexico - 41 million visitors. ...
  • Germany - 39 million visitors. ...
  • Thailand - 38 million visitors. ...
  • United Kingdom - 36 million visitors. ..

(From Wikipedia)

I don't know which Wikipedia page you are using ;

mine give us :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

888479386_Screenshot(39).png.2f86e30463af210bf18a72d9099cebe7.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

So lets do some simple maths...1.2 trillion baht in revenue from 30 million arrivals. Meaning on average 46000 per arrival, according to their own figures.

I am one of those white western over 50s the authorities are clearly attempting to drive out with their ever nastier, more unreasonable, ever more inconvenient, time consuming, intrusive, abusive and now expensive visa extension procedures, added to which there is always the risk of being randomly denied entry and detained at the airport.

I spend about 8 months per year in Thailand and spend about 150000 baht per month while in the country. So, when they succeed in driving me away completely....the new mandatory insurance requirement is the final nail in the coffin...im now done...they will need 30 visitors from China to make up for my lost revenue.

Does that makes any sense? Only to a racist, xenophobic small minded pig.

So you spend on average 1,200,000 for the 8 months yet you grudge paying around 50k for the health insurance.

hmmm....I guess beer and girls is more important than your health

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Many people from Laos cross at Nong Khai to shop at Tesco Lotus at the weekend, then go back. Some make it down to Central mall at Udon.

Laotians who come to shop in Thailand are not very numerous;
they belong to the class of those who can own Lexus or Mercedes high-end.
I live 130 km from Vientiane in Sakon Nakhon province;
I regularly see sedans and pickups registered in Laos; a few coaches of tourism.
I rarely see Laotian semi-trailers.
In Nong Khai 90% of the heavy goods vehicles entering or leaving Laos are registered in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, garyk said:

Su-ngai Kolok is nothing more than a Malaysian brothel. Amazing place.

That border town mostly serves Muslims from the Malay states of Kelantan and Trengganu. Kelantan doesn't even have a cinema, because it was prohibited by the state government which is ruled by an Islamic party. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I have asked dozens of friends who are GM's at big hotels, owners of guest houses, restaurants, bars, spas, gift shop and travel agencies. Without exception they all say the same thing. Business stinks.

The vast majority of Chinese come here on budget tours. The rooms are booked at 60% off rack rates. The buffet meals are drastically discounted. The airlines are making some money and so is King Power. Anyone else? 7/11 maybe? Tesco?

Wake up. Deal with reality. Believe the TAT nonsensical numbers at your own peril. 

No. I believe my friend who had 18 buses the chinese yesterday. I not believe you, I not believe TAT. 

I was there. I believe my eyes. Maybe 30 per bus, more than 500 people. Pay 400 each. Good behavior, woman dress lovely, not complain. (But smoke a lot.) 

If not have chinese, her business same as your friend, have not many. But she smart to take care the chinese and she win. 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

They have chinese menu? Chinese language staff? 

With business you must do for the customer who come, not the customer you like to come. 

Business must change, or will fail.

My friend business in Phangnga yesterday have 18 buses of China. One minibus from Russia. Nobody. else.

Two them (the restaurant and hotel owners are Chinese Thai) ,They can speak Thai and some Chinese but this is not an area thats based on Chinese tour groups but backpackers and lower end western travelers ...hence their concerns about the lack of tourists /customers 

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

They have chinese menu? Chinese language staff? 

With business you must do for the customer who come, not the customer you like to come. 

Business must change, or will fail.

My friend business in Phangnga yesterday have 18 buses of China. One minibus from Russia. Nobody. else.

so their business is based on tour bus coming once a week or once a month, must be very profitable having to discount everything to attract Chinese tourists ohh BTW they are queuing at 7/11 also 20 bus just arrived,  unfortunately 7/11 run out of cold noddles

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cool Aid said:

You don't need stats, just look arround or talk to hoteliers.

...or, just as dodgy as that, repeat unverifiable garbage that is so often posted by some anonymous people on forums in sad defiance of official figures!  

"Looking around" (geez...) or "talking to hoteliers" (how many have you interviewed and what are the chances of their giving you accurate information?), yes, that's really the way to refute much more credible, officially compiled figures.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

so their business is based on tour bus coming once a week

Everyday. 18 bus the best day so far. Always 6+

Average 10.

she give job to 14 thai people. 

or once a month, must be very profitable having to discount everything to attract Chinese tourists

They pay same price everyone.

ohh BTW they are queuing at 7/11 also 20 bus just arrived,  unfortunately 7/11 run out of cold noddles

Up to you imagine. 

I repeat one time for you. 

500+ chinese

8 Russians.

nobody more.

if she rely on the euro, she will have no business.

worker have no job. 

chinese enjoy tour. Euro not so much, lay on the beach.

my friend successful. She like chinese customer, they not complain everything. 

Soon Yinn will do same, different place. Plan with orbortor now.

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

...or, just as dodgy as that, repeat unverifiable garbage that is so often posted by some anonymous people on forums in sad defiance of official figures!  

"Looking around" (geez...) or "talking to hoteliers" (how many have you interviewed and what are the chances of their giving you accurate information?), yes, that's really the way to refute much more credible, officially compiled figures.

He believe it. Really. I believe he believe.

but not make it true. Talk to the wrong people.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1