High Speed train: Bangkok to Pattaya in less than 45 minutes after "historic" deal

webfact

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes, but where will the PAttaya City station be located?

Will it be an upgrade of the current Pattaya station which is way outside of the city with gangs of song taow drivers trying to rip off passengers, or a newly located station right in the centre of Pattaya city? (Then a rip off trip by song taow to your hotel or home?) 

Would you prefer Beach Road or Second road?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Would you prefer Beach Road or Second road?

Either, but personal preference would be second road, which is what I was meaning (hoping) when I wrote Pattaya city.

Has anybody noted any specific mention of a station on Second or Beach Road?

i just hope it's not a rework of the current out of town old Pattaya station.

26 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I vaguely seem to remember seeing some map where it was way, way back in the remote darkside, nearly maprachan. Hard to build somewhere in the middle.

That said, if they had extended the elevated highway from Chonburi to Patts and put a rail in the middle .. nah, has to have that tunnel.

Where is Maprachan please?

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Either, but personal preference would be second road, which is what I was meaning (hoping) when I wrote Pattaya city.

Has anybody noted any specific mention of a station on Second or Beach Road?

i just hope it's not a rework of the current out of town old Pattaya station.

My guess is it won't deviate far from the existing track. Dark side for sure!

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

A massive, pocket-lining exercise in taking the p*** by the cartels......and of course, hand in glove, the Thai government.

Textbook looting/exploitation of state coffers/national resources.

It's a PPP, mostly paid for by the private sector.

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:

My guess is it won't deviate far from the existing track. Dark side for sure!

No doubt all the planning will be geared by the best benefits to the CP group. 

So perhaps Pattaya station will be at a 7/11 or a Makro. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK, so its better than the bus, but thats about it.

I have difficulty seeing how this could take existing road users off the road. 

When I want to go to Pattaya I can easily drive it, door to door in 2 hours. 

If using this train I'd have to get to the station (I guess about 30mins), then wait for the next train (say 10mins), then take the train (45mins), then go from the train station to my destination / hotel (say 20mins) = At a guess, total: 1 hr 45mins.

Agree with this.  I like the fact this is being built, I like trains and train travel, but I would definitely still drive (would try the train once for the novelty).  And so would 99% of other people who currently drive the route.

But for tourists and people who don't drive it's another matter - it is cheaper / faster than renting a taxi, much nicer and safer than sitting in a smelly bus.  

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

And then you add the 5h30min it takes to get to the stations and back.

So it takes you 7.5 hours to drive does it?  Must take you 5h30m to get to the bus stations and back.  Or 5h30m to get to the motorway entrance / exits at each end.

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

So it takes you 7.5 hours to drive does it?  Must take you 5h30m to get to the bus stations and back.  Or 5h30m to get to the motorway entrance / exits at each end.

Might be two days or weeks or perhaps millenia if you have to drive through the nightmare that is called Bangkok. Shudder.

The real benefit of this would be if they had built it over sukhumvit so the Patts station would be somehow accessible and it would stop right at the terminal at u-tapao, then I could skip going in the direction of the horrid BKK hellhole completely. But that's not going to happen, as usual, the time to connect to the stations and endpoints will take the benefits out of it. 

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Are you serious? Or forgot the emoticon?

Absolutely out of bounds for such a project to go through such a congested area.

10 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Might be two days or weeks or perhaps millenia if you have to drive through the nightmare that is called Bangkok. Shudder.

The real benefit of this would be if they had built it over sukhumvit so the Patts station would be somehow accessible and it would stop right at the terminal at u-tapao, then I could skip going in the direction of the horrid BKK hellhole completely. But that's not going to happen, as usual, the time to connect to the stations and endpoints will take the benefits out of it. 

It will stop right at the terminal at U-Tapao won't it?

(Pretty sure the Pattaya station will not be very close to the action though)

Can someone explain what will happen to the Airport Rail Link System, trackage, rolling stock etc. A high speed train from Makkasan to Pattaya and onwards to U-Tapao, by passing Swampy. The need for speed to get to the poontang is amazing. A fast train system ala ARL, run properly with correct maintenance from DMK via Makkasan, Swampy, Chonburi, Pattaya and U-Tapao and points in between when practical, would make more sense. Oh, just had a brain fart.........."practical, make more sense".

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

A fast train system ala ARL, run properly with correct maintenance from DMK via Makkasan, Swampy, Chonburi, Pattaya and U-Tapao and points in between when practical, would make more sense. Oh, just had a brain fart.........."practical, make more sense".

Er......that's exactly what this is.  

Perhaps you didn't read any of the several articles on this before commenting?  Your brain fart is excused.

7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

The whole purpose of the HST IS to connect the 3 major airports.

Agree with this.  I like the fact this is being built, I like trains and train travel, but I would definitely still drive (would try the train once for the novelty).  And so would 99% of other people who currently drive the route.

But for tourists and people who don't drive it's another matter - it is cheaper / faster than renting a taxi, much nicer and safer than sitting in a smelly bus.  

I would argue both the cheaper and faster. Assuming 2 people from airport to Pattaya center. 2x 500 + 300 for the mafia taxi, or grab, to go from the darkside to Pattaya center. Total 1300. Last taxi I took was 1100 door to door including tolls.

As for time, during the day, maybe some time savings. In the evening, assuming a 20 minute wait for the train, 45 minutes for the train, and 25 minutes into Pattaya from the darkside, is 1.5 hours. A good taxi can do 1:45 easy at night.

Really only a good deal for a single traveler.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, flynn said:

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yes, and it does.  What is your point?

That's my point! Of course it stops at Utapao!

7 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

I would argue both the cheaper and faster. Assuming 2 people from airport to Pattaya center. 2x 500 + 300 for the mafia taxi, or grab, to go from the darkside to Pattaya center. Total 1300. Last taxi I took was 1100 door to door including tolls.

As for time, during the day, maybe some time savings. In the evening, assuming a 20 minute wait for the train, 45 minutes for the train, and 25 minutes into Pattaya from the darkside, is 1.5 hours. A good taxi can do 1:45 easy at night.

Really only a good deal for a single traveler.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

True, the cost can add up.  But if you are a traveller, arriving after a long flight, you can go straight down to the basement to take a comfortable, clean, cheap and fast train to Pattaya, or you can go look for a bus with your luggage or negotiate with a taxi.  I would be on the train every single time, I wouldn't be getting my calculator out.

But maybe that's just me.  I much prefer getting trains than travelling by road.

2 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

That's my point! Of course it stops at Utapao!

Crossed wires.  We all know it stops at U-Tapao.

Someone was suggesting it will probably stop a distance from the airport, I was replying that it stops right at the terminal.

21 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

That is the question. Those details are crucial to the convenience. We'll see how it ends up.

I do hope it'll be usable. I like trains. But as usual, I'm keeping expectations at rock bottom, it's a necessity here.

Archived