You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

High Speed train: Bangkok to Pattaya in less than 45 minutes after "historic" deal

webfact

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Very likely, I see parallels between this project and the ever expanding HS networks in the Quangdong region in China, which is also an economic growth region. I've traveled on that service a few times between Zhuhai and Quangdong. It's a superb service.

Have no doubt. The Chinese know how to build and run medium distance high speed services.

When there was a disagreement between the two parties I think he could see his EEC dream disappearing. It was vital that the HS rail went ahead ASAP as planned; whether it was a financial loser or not.

So I think he just banged a few heads together and said something like.......sign the contracts both of you and we'll sort the money out later. Trust me!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, yellowboat said:

It's very, very easy for posters to TVF to be skeptical about ANYTHING related to Thailand.

I wasn't skeptical about anything when I moved here 25+ years ago.....now, most things, Thailand has made me this way based on history. I love the place but it's soooooo hard to believe the powers that be on something like this.

20 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Er......that's exactly what this is.  

Perhaps you didn't read any of the several articles on this before commenting?  Your brain fart is excused.

I appreciate your excusing my cerebral flatulence, but I was trying to make the point that rather than constructing a completely new railway, would it not be more practical to bring the line down from DMK then round to Makkasan and onward to a Y at Swampy then on southeast to Pattaya and U-Tapao. They already have the trackage and R.o.W. and all that would be needed is construction work to join each end of the ARL to the 2 airports. As an ex-railroader, I have been most interested in this project since its inception. The ARL has the potential to be fast enough, why the emphasis on the 45 minutes to Pattaya. I wonder.   

25 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I appreciate your excusing my cerebral flatulence, but I was trying to make the point that rather than constructing a completely new railway, would it not be more practical to bring the line down from DMK then round to Makkasan and onward to a Y at Swampy then on southeast to Pattaya and U-Tapao. They already have the trackage and R.o.W. and all that would be needed is construction work to join each end of the ARL to the 2 airports, at each end. As an ex-railroader, I have been most interested in this project since its inception. The ARL has the potential to be fast enough, why the emphasis on the 45 minutes to Pattaya. I wonder.   

Unless I'm misunderstanding things this is exactly what they are doing.  The existing ARL gets extended through Bang Sue and up to DMK. Then from Suvarnabhumi it gets built out to Utapao. Between DMK and BKK it is only 160kmh. Only after BKK will it go up to 250kmh. 

So essentially this is an extended ARL with different trains. Our more likely with additional trains - I guess the existing service will continue and these will just use the same line. 

At least that's my understanding, I could be wrong. @Crossy would surely know. 

This would be very beneficial to people arriving from from overseas at Swampy . With only 3 stops in between , it should be possible in 45 mins to Pattaya . It's usually one hour and a half , which is significant if your flight arrives in the evening and you want have a meal and a few drinks first night . Also , you wouldn't have to deal with touts or dodgy taxi drivers , which is particularly hard to deal with after a long flight .

A report by Channel 7 News estimated that approximately 147,000 passengers each day will use the service when it opens.

So if the train carries 1000 people and suppose back and forwards, you ll need 74 rides per DAY.

74 by 24 hours is at least 3 trains running in an hour.

Here we have double carriages and can contain 600 people and it is 154 meters long, non high speed.

And a newer TGV (high speed) would be 18 carriages with 2 locs and carries 1124 people and is 400 meters.

These trains only drive 250 km/h on some places of the track. They will not run 250 km/h in Bangkok. ALso dont know why they use a slower train, as hs trains can do 350 km/h. ANd a MAglev even a 600 km/h , wow.

Or is it a middle speed from the trains? 

Theoretically It takes 45 minutes to run the 190 km line Don Muang to Utapao, non stop. From starting immediately with 250 km/h

DOnt know how they come to 220km line from Don Muang to Utapao, gmaps says 190 km. Guess adding Rayong makes it 220. As that distance is about 40 km. 

THey have to stop in 9 stations. They have to slow down, stop, change people and then start again.

You cant make it in 45 minutes unless the train is doing maybe 400 km/h and with 147000 people per day, it will become an extreme busy rail line. As you will need probably about 10 trains to run in an hour. 

Don Muang to Pattaya 167 km is 40 minutes, non stop, starting with 250 km/h instant.

However you have 6 stations to stop and start. Guess they switched maybe some numbers and maybe it could be 54 minutes? But ok there will be another hs line in Thailand. First the one  Bangkok–Nakhon Ratchasima high-speed rail line

1 hour ago, gimo said:

This would be very beneficial to people arriving from from overseas at Swampy . With only 3 stops in between , it should be possible in 45 mins to Pattaya . It's usually one hour and a half , which is significant if your flight arrives in the evening and you want have a meal and a few drinks first night . Also , you wouldn't have to deal with touts or dodgy taxi drivers , which is particularly hard to deal with after a long flight .

The excellent   organised taxi queue system means you never have dodgy taxi problems at Survanapooni airport anymore but anyway the new railway will be great   faster, cheaper and no worries about traffic jams when departing.

This being Thailand, I hope it doesn't end up like most of the high speed mini buses. It will become like Thailand's airlines, "periodic servicing is over-rated and too expensive" we'll cut one in three maintenance services, that will get us back on track or off!!

I think I'll wait for a few years to make sure its safe to use, thats if it is still operating.

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding things this is exactly what they are doing.  The existing ARL gets extended through Bang Sue and up to DMK. Then from Suvarnabhumi it gets built out to Utapao. Between DMK and BKK it is only 160kmh. Only after BKK will it go up to 250kmh. 

So essentially this is an extended ARL with different trains. Our more likely with additional trains - I guess the existing service will continue and these will just use the same line. 

At least that's my understanding, I could be wrong. @Crossy would surely know. 

The challenge will be to make the most of the infrastructure and meet future potential needs which are different from today's needs.  The passengers in the first few years will be different from the passengers ten years later, and civic development should grow around the railway, regardless of the demand on day 1.

This will be interesting to see if they provide sufficient parking at the Pattaya location

If you have to get taxis to and from the station, then when you add the times and, the inconvenience, together it makes it a non starter for some....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Let do simple logistics. Lets say train is at the top of efficiency and running by the numbers. With each stop being approximately 3 min each. That leaves 18 min travel time. Now factor in acceleration (30 sec) and deceleration (30 sec) of the train at each stop. That brings that 18 min to 13.5 min travel time.

Based on that I call BS for the travel time of 45 min end to end.

40 minutes ago, cheapcanuck said:

Let do simple logistics. Lets say train is at the top of efficiency and running by the numbers. With each stop being approximately 3 min each. That leaves 18 min travel time. Now factor in acceleration (30 sec) and deceleration (30 sec) of the train at each stop. That brings that 18 min to 13.5 min travel time.

Based on that I call BS for the travel time of 45 min end to end.

Or simple mathematics can also give the you the answer that Makkasan to Pattaya is easily achievable in 45 minutes with a direct journey.

Sorry to spoil your maths fun.

36 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Or simple mathematics can also give the you the answer that Makkasan to Pattaya is easily achievable in 45 minutes with a direct journey.

Sorry to spoil your maths fun.

But it's not a direct route. There are 4 stops between Makkasan and Pattaya. Time of 45 would be very tight if not impossible. I stick to my math and call B S.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:31 PM, scorecard said:

Yes, but where will the PAttaya City station be located?

Will it be an upgrade of the current Pattaya station which is way outside of the city with gangs of song taow drivers trying to rip off passengers, or a newly located station right in the centre of Pattaya city? (Then a rip off trip by song taow to your hotel or home?) 

It will be near the current station but there will be monorails to take passengers from the station to central Pattaya.

11 hours ago, hobobo said:

Sorry, but you may be wrong - I saw it in Bangkok Post in November 1991...

I was involved in this as it was my idea from the 80s when it took 3.5hours to get to Pattaya by bus. In 1991/1992 we only got as far as a M.O.U. with Siemens at that time, then the Government changed.

Archived