Longer term expat question -- have you burned your bridges or were they burned by others?

Jingthing

Don't burn your bridges is one of the classic expat clichés along with Thailand specific gems such as don't bring into Thailand any more than you can afford to leave in Thailand. 

I've said it to others myself.

Recently I posted about long term expats being advised not to burn your bridges with the comment that if you live abroad long enough it's not so much about actively burning them but bridges just fading away.

This video gives a contrarian probably more unusual take on that old cliché in that this guy gave up his U.S. citizenship.

What do you think? How are your bridges holding up?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

A very good subject and a lot to be argued about.

I am on the "don't burn your bridges camp" 

But the above posted video has very litle to offer on that subject other than "it is not unpatriotic to renounce your citizenship" with which I agree with,  as as long as you have a secure alternative citizenship.

• Like 2

In fact in the video he said. "even if you give up your citizenship you can get it back". If that's the case then you are not burning your bridges.  Then he goes on   to say  " if try to get your citizenship back . they might not give you  your social security or your medicare. but that's their problem not yours"  What nonsense!! that's certainly a big problem and it certainly your problem.

As it applies to as in Thailand, especially with all these Medical insurance requirements and the way it is structured at this time, all of those here on retirement will have to go back at a certain age when they cant get insurance. So IMO a bridge is necessary for this and many other reasons.

• Like 2

I left Belgium in 2002, meaning I have no assets anymore there. 

I have a state pension (we all have in Belgium ) now of 2595 gross or 2244 Euro net, monthly. 

In May 1000 Euro net more (holiday allowance). 

The difference between gross & net is taxes, social security, solidarity contribution. 

So despite having left Belgium, there is no really a "bridge burning". 

If I return to Belgium, nothing will change, I just have to inform government I am back, and let  my new adress known. 

It can be however "expensive";

in Flanders now, one has to pay 3 month guarantee, and 1 month rent in advance before been able to enter the rented apartment. 

• Like 2

Interesting take on a cliched expression that I never quite fully understood... did it mean 'don't sell your house?' or 'don't tell your friends to <deleted> off'

owning a house would be an unneeded expense... giving up family and friends is silly... personally it has never even crossed my mind to give up my citizenship... 

But I see it more as having built new bridges [home and family], in a place I want to be... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I would consider I burned my bridges when I left Oz 10 years ago. Sold the house I'd lived in for 25 years, struck myself off the electoral roll, moved to Thailand and never been back. At my age (77) it wouldn't be easy to move back, I'm probably priced out of the real estate market now as well, but I don't have any regrets about my decision.

Unless you are forced back. at which point I ams sure you will regret your decision.

I sincerely hope that does not happen, because judging from  always reasonable and compassionate posts I think you are probably a very nice person . 

It is  a tough choice to make and chance to take.

I have a nice house build in Thailand free and clear,  own a modest car also free and clear. and lill have a comfortable pension.

If I liquidate our assets in the US we would end up with a tidy sum and could live like a king for the remainder of my life in Thailand ,. 

It is very tempting . 

But I am almost 63 an if I am lucky a long way to go until I kick the proverbial bucket. These are interesting times.Does one hitch his cart on the Thailand horse without alternate transportation?

• Like 2

What do you mean with "burned bridges"? The private one or the financial one? Sorry, I am a non-native English speaker.

Private: With some of my friends I have lost the contact during the years in Thailand. But with my family and some friends I still telephone or chat regular and try to visit them when I am in Germany for vacation.

Financial: In many years I will get a pension, I have 3 life insurences they will be paid out during the next years. I still have 2 stock depots in Europe from where I receive my dividends and where I am trading to live in Thailand. 

If I have to leave Thailand for some reason tomorrow I have enough money to go to another country like Vietnam to live there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, luckyluke said:

t can be however "expensive";

in Flanders now, one has to pay 3 month guarantee, and 1 month rent in advance before been able to enter the rented apartment.

Air bnb has made expensive rental contracts obsolete. All that's needed to unburn back to oz is silly cheap air Asia flight plus 1st month air bnb payment

Posters saying people are stuck here are being a bit dramatic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is why I strongly suggest Americans pay the premium and keep Medicare Part B in effect. You never know when you might suddenly have to return.

Most other bridges are also financial. In particular, long-term expats tend not to be on the property ladder, and that can make returning to the US really difficult. Nobody wants to live in a trailer park.

Worse off are the very long-term expats who never got 40 quarters of Social Security paid in, and find themselves without Social Security pension or Medicare.

No problem with anything you said but I will speak a bit about bridges being burned that have nothing to do with your own actions and intentions.

As in your post perhaps rather American centric.

I now no longer have a US drivers license. That wasn't really intentional but it eventually just happened.

I don't have a Thai one either but I don't need to drive here.

In case of moving back to the US that can mean an extremely difficult life without state ID and ability to drive.

Sure you can try to get reestablished but not always easily.

Why did it happen? Did I want to lose it? No. If of course not. But keeping it current with the new real ID requirements at least in my state made that almost impossible. If I could have gotten past that with some games then I would have had to sign a document stating I'm a state resident but obviously I'm not. Isn't that a felony?

Banks brokerages etc.

Numerous hassles over the years dealing with US firms as a non resident. Generally faking being a resident but they have ways of smoking people out and it's actually their job to do that based on know your customer laws.

Did I burn those bridges on purpose?

No. They burned most of them for me.

Housing. Yeah I know many people do but it never occurred to me to consider owning US housing while living abroad. So definitely off that ladder. I do own a Thai condo which is more of a burden than anything if I wanted to leave. Hasn't risen in theoretical value, very hard to sell, and possibly hard to repatriate the money.

Social security. Yeah I'm on it now. As expats they can make it quite hard to get that started and continuing. We've got those proof of life letters. That can sometimes be a shaky bridge. I'm considering moving to another country with almost nonexistent mail service. That would mean every year a big drama with proof of life with almost likely suspensions. That's a potentially burned bridge coming externally not by intention.

• Like 1

What do you mean with "burned bridges"? The private one or the financial one? Sorry, I am a non-native English speaker.

Private: With some of my friends I have lost the contact during the years in Thailand. But with my family and some friends I still telephone or chat regular and try to visit them when I am in Germany for vacation.

Financial: In many years I will get a pension, I have 3 life insurences they will be paid out during the next years. I still have 2 stock depots in Europe from where I receive my dividends and where I am trading to live in Thailand. 

If I have to leave Thailand for some reason tomorrow I have enough money to go to another country like Vietnam to live there.
What do I mean?
It's more of an open ended concept.
It means different things to different people.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, dimitriv said:

I must honestly say that the more I read about Thailand and politics, the less I trust the Thai government.

I'm still waiting for some condition to arise which would allow me to have any trust in the Thai government.

• Haha 2

Sorry, but this guy maybe speaks for the top 1% of society not the rest  and his video should come with a potential health warning !

Start of the video he talks about opportunity to come back - but, burning bridges to me means selling everything you own, having either split or being not close to family and putting all your eggs in the foreign basket.

Having the opportunity to go back after that goes wrong is very different from Mr. Hi-so. Going back to a cardboard box on the streets of snowy London is different from his life.

I (55) live in Thailand with my wife and child now, I own a house in the UK south and get a small pension - I will return some day later in life.

I feel more relaxed knowing that I have NOT burned my bridges in life. 

Yeah the Nomad Capitalist'a obvious target audience is very wealthy expat.
entrepreneurs or aspiring ones.

But as someone who is definitely nothing like that I find many pearls of thought provoking content in his videos that do apply to me and I think could to others as well.

Like his marketing catchphrase go where you're treated best.

Many of us rich or not are attracted to living abroad for some of the benefits the foreign place offers that home does not.

One example US vs. Thailand is prescription meds. Much more expensive in the US and most things by scrip only. Thailand and many other countries treat us better with that.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app