British backpacker Amelia Bambridge missing on Cambodian island

geovalin

A British student who disappeared after a beach party on a Cambodian island has been reported missing.

Amelia Bambridge, 21, who was on her gap year, was last seen in the resort of Koh Rong on Wednesday. Members of her family, from Worthing, Sussex, flew from the UK to Cambodia where searches of the sea, beaches and jungle have begun.

Ms Bambridge's sister Georgie said the family was in touch with police and trying to stay strong as concerns grew. Friends reported Amelia's "out-of-character" disappearance after her belongings were found on a beach.

read more

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-50194156

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

It appears that she is one of those that believed the travel bloggers who sprout that women can go anywhere in the world solo.

I truly hope she fares better than some others and is quickly found.

My brat drives me nuts with her solo travel habits, at least outside of China

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

How terribly sad, it would seem - given the circumstances - that she is most likely gone from this world.

People in general, but especially inexperienced young women, should really think twice before traveling solo to many parts of the globe. As a father of a beautiful young daughter of the same name I can at least understand to some small extent the anguish that the Bambridge family must be feeling at the moment. It is every parent's biggest fear that this will happen to their beloved child.

All it takes is one scumbag's transgression to end a person's life and in turn ruin a family's forever more. I sincerely hope to be proven wrong and hear that Amelia is found safe and sound, but my heart breaks for her loved ones who must be experiencing the purest kind of turmoil right now. I wish them all the very best.

It is the dread of every father of a daughter. I really feel for these parents as I know that they face a lifetime of "what ifs" and "maybe we should have done that".

It is a very bad future for those left behind. The punishment should allow for this. If they catch them that is.

7 minutes ago, Billthekiwi said:

It is the dread of every father of a daughter. I really feel for these parents as I know that they face a lifetime of "what ifs" and "maybe we should have done that".

It is a very bad future for those left behind. The punishment should allow for this. If they catch them that is.

Yes agreed. Devastating for all concerned. The foremost dread of all parents.

I might be jumping the gun here by assuming that she is dead in the first place(altough it seems likely) and that there was foul play involved. It could be equally likely that she drowned, taking an intoxicated dip in the sea at such parties can end horribly. I'll follow this story with interest and hope to have my assupmtions proven wrong. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billthekiwi said:

Fathers of son's have similar fears, especially fathers who did stupid things at that age.  I know it is coming for my son to want to have his gap year adventure.  My only stipulation is that he does it with someone he knows, be it boy or girl.  It is so important to have somebody to watch your back. 

• Like 2

Cambodian police search for British woman, 21, missing from beach

854.JPG

British tourist Amelia Bambridge holds a mug of beer in Prague, Czech Republic in July 2019, in this image obtained via social media. Amelia Bambridge/Georgie Bambridge via REUTERS

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - Cambodian authorities and volunteer divers were searching on Monday for a 21-year-old British woman who has been missing for five days from its southwestern coast popular with backpackers.

Amelia Bambridge was last seen on Thursday leaving a party on Koh Rong island in the province of Preah Sihanouk, said its governor Kouch Chamroeun, who led the search that included eight volunteer divers.

Chamroeun said Bambridge’s bag containing her belongings, including a mobile phone and a watch, was found on a rock near the water’s edge.

“There is a high suspicion that she may have drowned,” Chamroeun told Reuters. “Looking at her phone, she has taken pictures and posted online until 3:23 a.m.”

Police were also investigating the possibility of foul play, and authorities had alerted fishermen at sea to help, Chamroeun added.

“We searched in the jungle, in people’s houses and various guesthouses yesterday, and we didn’t get any result yet. We are still continuing the search.”

Bambridge’s family has flown to Koh Rong to help join the search, her sister, Georgie Bambridge, said on her Instagram account.

“Please share - the more people looking, the sooner we’ll find her,” she posted on Sunday. “We need to find my sister.”

The British embassy is assisting the family of a British woman reported missing in Cambodia and is in close contact with the police, said Darathtey Din, a spokeswoman for the embassy in Phnom Penh, the capital.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-28

The waters there are very shallow and calm.

I doubt that is what happened.

My guess would be, given that she did not bring her backpack/phone etc with her and by all accounts wasn't the type to go off on her own, is that she stepped away from the party to relieve herself -- maybe in bushes, maybe heading to a bathroom if anywhere nearby had one -- and someone grabbed her.

• Like 1