"SLIME " tyre sealant

mikeinkamala

Tyre sealant is supposed to be a temporary fix till you either repair or replace the tyre. Convenient as you do not have to change the wheel. Slime... 2 years? - Unknown. .... I would not trust it and certainly would not drive at Roadrunner speed on it. A damaged tyre is unsafe ....nuff said

I always used tyre-weld in the UK, basically the same thing. Always got me home if I had a puncture. Would get the tyre either plugged or replaced within a few days though, 2 years is pushing it but then the tyres on bikes here are like mountain bike tyres back in the UK so who knows?

Horrible stuff and only girls and girly men use it. In the US, tire shops hate it when a girl or a girly man brings in a tire for repair that's had maybe half a dozen previous punctures that have been 'fixed' by this stuff. Virtually impossible to remove and most shops will want to sell you a new tire instead. if you refuse, they give you back your slimy old tire, un-repaired.

Get a grip, get a lug wrench... and a jack.

There are several types of "slim" some of them for temporary repair, other for long period of preventing puncture.

Looking by example the FAQ of SLIME site

• Emergency Tire Sealant (yellow label) is designed for use on highway vehicles experiencing a flat tire emergency. It seals punctures up to ¼” instantly so you can quickly and safely get your vehicle back on the road and off to a tire repair station. Slime’s Emergency Tire Sealant is not a long-term solution. You should remove the formula within 3 days or 100 miles.
  • Prevent and Repair Tire Sealant (blue label) formula is for use on non-highway tubeless tire and can be pre-installed to prevent flat tires for 2 years on trailers, ATVs, mowers, tractors, wheelbarrows and much more!

12 hours ago, tifino said:

Slime is a Joke!

- like; what's Green and travels backwards at 60mph?

Yes but it does warn you that you have a puncture???? I used it in Indonesia. I'm not sure it stopped the punctures but it did give advanced warning and stopped rapid blow-outs.

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Yes but it does warn you that you have a puncture???? I used it in Indonesia. I'm not sure it stopped the punctures but it did give advanced warning and stopped rapid blow-outs.

Curious what warning it could give while you are driving along? 

- I can visualize similar to what happens when you poke a hole in an egg, then hit the microwave button! 

(Nature's rocket engine) 

I had a tubeless back tire that would loose pressure every few weeks, nothing much for like 3 weeks, then very low in a few days, they tried but could not find any puncture or leak at all...!!! 

So I bought this spray, not a slime I think, put that in for a few days, low speed use for this time, had a big sign on the can that said dangerous for high speed. Then after a few days emptied the spray air and put normal air, no more problem with the tire for two years when I sold the bike... It must have sealed something,  damn good...!

• 1 month later...

I've done some research on it. There are types for repairing an already happened flat. Then there are two preventative types. One for tubeless tyres, and one for inner tubes. And tyres with sealant built into the tyre. And inner tube constructed with something similar.

It's quite well known in the motocross scene.

After my research, it seems it's a good idea if you regularly drive on very bumpy roads (pinch type punctures) or roads with a lot of debris.

I have heard stories of unbalanced car tyres.

I believe how it's applied makes a difference. And there are many brands and DIY instructions as well as professional applications. One unbalanced tyre was the result of professional application, so maybe not all of them know what they're doing.

Look for claims that it's non corrosive and will dissolve with water. It might still corrode, but at least go for one that claims not to do it.

I have seen many types on Lazada, but not sure which one is better. I think I need to swing by a bicycle shop and talk to them.

Archived