EVIL PHISHERS?

cheeryble

15 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

close tab....go to history tab....click 'clear history' (removes all cookies).

Instal Adguard 

Done and installed Adguard.

Strangely the same tab popped up when i started trying here.

I just closed it for now. 

Will keep my eyes open

While we're at it I asked for a quote from Regency Healthcare recently and have had ads from them constantly including when i open anything in youtube.

Can I get rid of individual pests like this.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I put windows on my mac book.. made it a lot more useable. The looks apple lovers gave me was fun. 

I stand corrected, although why anyone would want to use Windows is beyond my comprehension. Every hacker targets it.

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I stand corrected, although why anyone would want to use Windows is beyond my comprehension. Every hacker targets it.

Some like windows some like apple, just a matter of preference. I can honestly say I absolutely hated the apple OS and love windows a lot more. 

I think your <snip> naive especially given the topic at hand. There might have been a time when apple was safe but that time is gone. Windows and apple are both targeted. 

Install Malwarebytes for Mac - the free version needs to be run manually.

If you ever encounter Ransomware that encrypts files - have a read about this superhero

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-ransomware-superhero-of-normal-illinois

(this is the resource site mentioned in the article) - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608858/id-ransomware-identify-what-ransomware-encrypted-your-files/

Many "pishers" simply copy an entire website page including links, then create a new link that looks legit (maybe has an extra letter in it or something) that, if you click on the icon they want you to (like the "start scan" icon) it sends you to their site instead of the real one. 
Meanwhile, all of the other links are the original ones so if you click on any of them it takes you to the real site. That helps sell the scam.

For me, it's usually the web address that is the giveaway, as well as the content of the pish. Once in awhile I get one from a bank telling me some BS like there's been unauthorized activity on my account or something.

In most cases I know it's a scam because it's not even from the bank I deal with ! Then I check the email address and, often, it comes from some college/university server (ending in ".edu"). So either it's someone using a computer on campus or someone has hacked a student's account and is using it to send out the pishes. Other times it will look almost like the real web address but have something extra in the address (like instead of "royalbank.com" it will read "royalbank-support.com").

When in doubt, I will go to the real site (i.e. apple.com) without using any of the links in the email and then look for the link to "security" or "report pishing scams". They will usually tell you to FORWARD the suspicious email to a specific email address (do not click "reply" or "reply all").
For Apple the address is:
[email protected]

However, they say if you are using a Mac then you should select the email and choose Forward As Attachment from the Message menu.

Usually you will receive an automated response from the (real) company which will tell you that they never ask for account numbers/passwords/blah blah blah and that's it.
Then delete the suspicious email and forget about it.

If it was a legit email, they will (or should) reply back and tell you.

Thanks to all

yeah the web address is a good clue.

The page came up again last night I cleared history again this time for the whole day.

We'll see

BTW without starting a new thread has anyone found it not possible to use TV on a android or iPad?

22 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Done and installed Adguard.

Strangely the same tab popped up when i started trying here.

You need to get into Adguard preferences>filters and activate a few of those.

Also click 'check for filter updates once every couple of weeks. 

I’ve had 2 or 3 messages from “Apple” telling my Apple ID was frozen and will be shut down unless I confirm account by clicking the provided link.

Checked ID by downloading an app from App Store and it’s fine. Mine was definitely a phishing attempt. I think yours is too. Save any data you have on a remote device just in case.

If on Windows 10, then just clear web history, then block that email sender or report as phishing, then start up Windows Defender (it has its own built in Anti virus etc, use that.) and finally restart in Safe mode

Thats it!

3 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

I’ve had 2 or 3 messages from “Apple” telling my Apple ID was frozen and will be shut down unless I confirm account by clicking the provided link.

Checked ID by downloading an app from App Store and it’s fine. Mine was definitely a phishing attempt. I think yours is too. Save any data you have on a remote device just in case.

Block sender or report as phishing

On October 29, 2019 at 6:10 PM, Pdavies99 said:

Block sender or report as phishing

Hmmm

don't know how to block a sender when they just open a tab out of the blue.

Have reported.

Still happening.

Actually whats much more annoying right now is the Regency Healthcare repeated ads I cant seem to open anything without one of their ads appearing......most annoying is you tube....again and again and again

Seems to me this is almost like stalking.....is there no way round this repetitive advertising?

I certainly would never buy a product from them now.

Archived