Britain set for December 12 election to break the Brexit deadlock

webfact

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

Scotland generates around £52b for the UK in tax revenues of which £37b is returned.

The loss of £15b is worth it to get the SNP out of parliament ????

Hope the oil doesn't run out too soon otherwise it won't be us who are in for a rude awakening.

academic if the oil runs out of not,who,'ll be buying it in 15 years time?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, tebee said:

it's OK I'll be joining you soon back in the UK if brexit goes bad . You won't know what hit the NHS when 2 million young EU workers are replaced by 2 million OAP with health problems.

What about the poor bast*rds who'd been here over 15 years and couldn't even vote in the ref. Is it fair they should have their lives disrupted by something they were unable to influence ? is that what you call democracy ?

What about the poor bast*rds?they came here to better themselves at the uks expense or do you know the  individual case history of every one of them?you chose to leave your country as I did,I didn,t get a vote When I was gone either,British votes are for British citizens,do all those farangs  who reside in the los get the vote?Look at all the money polish migrants earned here and sent home?hear me whingeing about it?however that money could have been spent here for the uk benefit,it's history now,sorry about their lives being disrupted,but if they,'re working here legally and contributing towards our economy got no problem with that,just evict the ponces and dossers.What I call democracy? Having a vote and going with the majority.paradoxically all the remainer s have done with their constant whinging,bitching,and legal challenges is that  this countries hands are tied behind its back when trying to negotiate a deal with Brussels.talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

8 hours ago, tebee said:

a. We don't know the deal will be accepted yet, many pages of it have not yet been published,who knows what they might contain and who will find those contents unpalatable. The deal only pushes the deadline back to the end of transition - currently december 2020. After that time we are back to where we are now - there is no commitment so far in the bill to continue paying for UK pensioners healthcare, Can you see this government being happy to splurge out 2.5 billion on this if they don't have to?

b. The problem is that to acquire citizenship of another country one of the things you will have to show is that you have adequate health cover. You will still have no contributions to that country's social security system if you moved over post retirement.         

a. It will.

b. That’s life.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nauseus said:

Just a guess but anything as yet unpublished will likely be the unpalatable bits. 

Could that be why that nice Mr Johnson would rather go for a risky general election than revel what was in his deal to public scrutiny?

Why the rush to get it passed in 3 days without anyone having time to scrutinze it ?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

That '15 year' lark came close to being overturned in the last Parliament but failed at the last hurdle.

IMO anyone holding a Passport & paying taxes should be a fully paid up member of the club.

Overseas Electors Bill 2017-19

Key Paragraph:

Latest news on the Overseas Electors Bill 2017-19

The Bill failed to complete its passage through Parliament before the end of the session. This means the Bill will make no further progress.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

a. It will.

b. That’s life.

a. they have already said they won't pay beyond 6 months if no deal - why should it be any different if there is one ?

b. life sucks - see a.

7 hours ago, kingdong said:

What about the poor bast*rds?they came here to better themselves at the uks expense or do you know the  individual case history of every one of them?you chose to leave your country as I did,I didn,t get a vote When I was gone either,British votes are for British citizens,do all those farangs  who reside in the los get the vote?Look at all the money polish migrants earned here and sent home?hear me whingeing about it?however that money could have been spent here for the uk benefit,it's history now,sorry about their lives being disrupted,but if they,'re working here legally and contributing towards our economy got no problem with that,just evict the ponces and dossers.What I call democracy? Having a vote and going with the majority.paradoxically all the remainer s have done with their constant whinging,bitching,and legal challenges is that  this countries hands are tied behind its back when trying to negotiate a deal with Brussels.talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I'm talking about UK emigrants not UK immigrants. you van be a UK citizen, still paying UK taxes, but after an arbitrary 15 year you no longer have a vote in the UK. 

Those who live in Europe are going to have their lives turn upside down if they lose their health care, but could not vote in the referendum. I don't call that democracy.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Could that be why that nice Mr Johnson would rather go for a risky general election than revel what was in his deal to public scrutiny?

Why the rush to get it passed in 3 days without anyone having time to scrutinze it ?  

Well, I was implying that the rush to get his wonder deal through was for two reasons: firstly to achieve this spooky do or die target date (to show what a wizard he is) and secondly to do it so fast that nobody will get a chance to read the bloody thing. 

He needs an election, anyway, to try and gain a Tory majority in parliament!   

4 hours ago, tebee said:

I'm talking about UK emigrants not UK immigrants. you van be a UK citizen, still paying UK taxes, but after an arbitrary 15 year you no longer have a vote in the UK. 

Those who live in Europe are going to have their lives turn upside down if they lose their health care, but could not vote in the referendum. I don't call that democracy.    

So basically all your other posts about how stupid the electorate were for voting brexit and how damaging it would be for the uk when self interest was your agenda,seems most remainers comments would seem to be dictated by such personal circumstances,if the uk is such a tyranny why not look else Where for a place to lay your metaphorical hat?

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kingdong said:

So basically all your other posts about how stupid the electorate were for voting brexit and how damaging it would be for the uk when self interest was your agenda,seems most remainers comments would seem to be dictated by such personal circumstances,if the uk is such a tyranny why not look else Where for a place to lay your metaphorical hat?

So if you don't mind telling who are you voting for ?

1 hour ago, englishoak said:

EIii2eiW4AAeoq6.jpg:large

Bare in mind 73% retention would leave the Tories well short of around 30 seats, which is totally a possible aim for the Brexit party to pick up in strong northern leaver regions that cannot vote Tory and will not vote Labour this time. But

Farage is still claiming Brexit party will field 600 candidates and contest everywhere. This is not currently very popular with many thinking the Boris deal is a winner but might be as time moves on and the deal is scrutinised more.  

Sinn Fein have pulled out of 3 seats as they wont sit anyway which is being seen as a tactical pro EU move.

In other news Joe Swinson is still proclaiming herself the next PM....and claiming a pact with other remain parties... while JC is trying to make the election and Labours message about anything but Brexit. Good luck with both of those fantasies.

We have some way to go over the next couple of weeks before the claims and usual freebie BS are shaken out and manifestos are out in full. 

There has only been two other elections in the past around December time but the turnouts were both huge and the country is very much into having a GE to clean out this Zombie parliament so it could well be another big turnout. 

Interesting few weeks ahead

There may be trouble ahead

7 hours ago, bendejo said:

Best of luck to the Brits, you'll know what it feels like to be an American: yes, you get a choice in the democratic process, but look at the selection they give you!

In 2016 we got a choice between a stale croissant and a donut filled with organic fertilizer.  The Yanks do like their donuts.

But chin up, Boris might still be destined for that ditch he spoke of before the election.

Looks like Corbyn is more likely find the ditch first.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tebee said:

This is probably only an unfounded rumor, but wouldn't it be an interesting turn of events ?

Nothing in UK politics will surprise me anymore .

I'd be rather surprised if this upcoming GE sorts the Brexit issue swiftly

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

It is also good to see other parties emerge, only having a choice between going back to the 1970s with Corbyn, or the 1870s with Rees-Moog is a grim state of affairs.

Say what you will ( and it was a different world in the 19th century ) in 1870 Britain was at least "great", instead of the has been nation with an irrational sense of self importance that it is today ( I say that as one that worked 10 years in the UK and realised just how broken Britain is today ). 

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Say what you will ( and it was a different world in the 19th century ) in 1870 Britain was at least "great", instead of the has been nation with an irrational sense of self importance that it is today ( I say that as one that worked 10 years in the UK and realised just how broken Britain is today ). 

I depends how you define great. Around that time we fought 2 wars with the Chinese to force them to keep buying our opium (Mainly manufactured by Indians in Bihar - essentially slaves). We had addicted 20 MILLION Chinese to opium, the emperor wasn't too pleased, but our gunboats won the day, and they had to keep buying. The British Empire was certainly the worlds greatest ever drug pushing organization. I guess you could mark that up as a "Great" achievement. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nauseus said:

Looks like Corbyn is more likely find the ditch first.

Many assume that Corbyn will never enter No 10.Danny Finklestein thinks differently.

"The Conservatives are doing two things that make it hard for them to win a majority. They are trying to win more seats in what would be their fourth term in office, something that has never happened before in modern politics. And they are aiming to sack some old voters and hire some new ones who have yet to accept the job. The chances of losing Remain-orientated seats while failing to break through in Leave-orientated ones is quite high."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

Many assume that Corbyn will never enter No 10.Danny Finklestein thinks differently.

"The Conservatives are doing two things that make it hard for them to win a majority. They are trying to win more seats in what would be their fourth term in office, something that has never happened before in modern politics. And they are aiming to sack some old voters and hire some new ones who have yet to accept the job. The chances of losing Remain-orientated seats while failing to break through in Leave-orientated ones is quite high."

Even if true this will not stop Labour's loss of support.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 2:02 AM, transam said:

I bet you are having nightmares over the real possibility the UK will be free of its burden..... ????

Feeling better that no-deal Brexit appears off the table for now, unless one thinks the Brexit Party is going to win.