Advice required

Titan1962

I was married for 28 yrs,separated from my ex 5 yrs ago.

At the time of separation I was working overseas,and agreed to basically just walk away and start again.

I also agreed to pay my ex a certain amount of money to help her out. 

12 months later I was laid off and have not worked since. I contacted her to inform her I was no longer working and would be unable to continue with the monthly payments. 75% of the agreed payment had been made prior to me being laid off. At that time I also asked her about finalising the divorce so we could move on. She basically told me pay up and I will sign the divorce.

I have been living in Thailand for the last 4 yrs and have never returned to Australia. Had no contact with my ex in that time,just wondering if anyone has obtained a divorce while living overseas and is it possible.

i have no idea where she is living,or what she is doing.

Any advise would be appreciated from someone that might have gone through something similar.

My ex and I are both Australians.

No fault divorce in Australia, she doesnt have to sign anything you can still push it through, You will need an address to serve her with divorce papers, can be done by yourself for a fee to get a the divorce kit, normaly would need to attend court but there but maybe a way around it, start with the link and work your way around with that.

http://www.familycourt.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/fcoaweb/forms-and-fees/court-forms/diy-kits/kit-divorce-service

No input from her is required if you initiate divorce proceedings. She is trying to scam you.

A lawyer once told me money brings out the worst in people. More proof on this thread.

Your other option is to do nothing. Unless you return to Australia, there is no action she can take that can affect you.

Archived